Buying a Monitors !!HELP!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Piña
Thumbs up Buying a Monitors !!HELP!!

I thinking in buying a monitor but i have 2 chooses but i need help. Its between the Yellow Ankie and the Blue Spot Timor. Can anyone help me making my decision on which one is good.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Jungle Gems
If this is indeed your first Varanid (and you are wise to begin with a "dwarf" species), I would certainly recommend that you opt for the Ackie over the Timor. Any Acanthurus available for sale in the United States will be Captive-Bred, although very few Timors are produced in captivity (even though they may be advertised as Captive-Bred, you should always be skeptical of "CB" Indonesian Monitors and require some form of evidence to substantiate this claim). Ackies are more forgiving should you make husbandry errors (and you will... everyone does), are less reclusive and very personable, and just beautiful, fun animals overall. Ultimately, the decision will be yours but I believe as a newbie you will be very happy learning with your Ackie and familiarizing yourself with typical Varanid behavior and attributes before graduating to more demanding monitor species (i.e. Euprapsiosaurids and such).

Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Palex134
I have 1.1 ackies and I love them! They were the best choice I could have made! I love my yellows so much! Go for them! They are some work, but well worth it!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Piña
Yea i like them both, but i guess the ackie is little nicer. LOL, how big do they get?? Someone told me that they get 2ft for the ackie and the Timer 1ft 1/2.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Palex134
my ackies are about a year and a half and around 15 inches. reds get larger and more fiesty, while yellows are smaller and more docile. Ackies are better "pet" monitors if you could call any monitor a pet.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Piña
Does anyone know the care for this monitor, it should be the same but i just want to know what is the best setup for the monitor, like subtrate, light, cave,etc.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Jungle Gems
I'd recommend that you visit the Frequently Asked Questions section at www.ProExotics.com. Robyn has taken a good amount of time and thought to assemble detailed and more than adequate husbandry information regarding Acanthurus and many other Monitor species.

I work with mostly Indonesian Monitors, but I'd say it's the same across the board that the most important aspects of Monitor husbandry are hides, heat gradient, space, appropriate humidity and workable substrate (this is not taking into account the enclosure height needs of arboreal animals and submersion needs of aquatic animals). Robyn details each of these in his FAQ's.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Piña
Aight, it looks like i going with the Yellow Ackies, they so active. So the Ackies get bigger than the Timor, thats what some1 told me. Is this true? And that they get tamed easier? Please let me know before i buy it. Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
SHvar
Amazing how many get this backwards..

Red ackies (V.acanthurus) are smaller on average than yellow ackies (V.a.brachyurus). The red produces larger eggs but less of them, the yellow produces smaller eggs and more of them.
In fact the yellow can grow to 30 inches with some local versions getting 3ft or more. Ive seen more than a few 28-31 inch yellow ackie males, but Ive yet to see any red ackies beyond 26 inches, most are 21-24 inches total. I have 2 pictures saved of yellows that are big, both were wild ackies, one is 37 inches and one is 39 (1 meter). They are someone elses pictures from their website so I wont post them. One was just posted by the owner of the pictures on a website he partners in.
My reds were 5 inches at hatching time, at 4 months old they are 14 inches long. Their mother is very very close to 24 inches, her old mate was 24 inches long.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:08 AM   #10
Palex134
everyone told me that yellow ackies were smaller, unless you buy "western giants". Mine are at 15 inches and are at 15 months or so. Make sure you can get lots of feeders, because they eat like crazy. My ackies eat so many crickets a day. They just love them, and they especially love the mice feedings I do weekly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!