super-tangerine/tangerine tornado - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
spots-r-us
super-tangerine/tangerine tornado

Newbie here -- can someone explain the difference between tangerine & super-tangerine? Is the latter just extra-tangerine (like super-hypo is extra hypo) or is it a different thing? And how does it relate to what Urban calls "tangerine tornado"?
Also, what is the difference between hybino, sunglow, hyglow, and aptor -- are they pretty much the same thing, just named by different breeders? Or is it a case of different genetic lines creating similar-looking phenotypes?
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by spots-r-us
Newbie here -- can someone explain the difference between tangerine & super-tangerine? Is the latter just extra-tangerine (like super-hypo is extra hypo) or is it a different thing?
From the best I can tell, you're exactly right on this. I don't think that there are any widely accepted standards as there are with hypos (10 body spots max) and super-hypos (no body spots).

Quote:
And how does it relate to what Urban calls "tangerine tornado"?
Urban's tangerine tornados are just exceptional tangerines, the name was coined for marketing purposes. I don't think that they are really that different from any of the other top of the line tangs out there.

Quote:
Also, what is the difference between hybino, sunglow, hyglow, and aptor -- are they pretty much the same thing, just named by different breeders? Or is it a case of different genetic lines creating similar-looking phenotypes?
Thanks!
Hybinos are hypos albinos; albinos crossed with Hine's line hypos. Sunglow was a name coined by Urban to describe their Hybinos. So, these two terms are synonymous.

Hyglows are giant, and in most cases jungle albinos selectively bred for reduced body pattern, and orange body and tail coloration. Hine's line hypos and carrot tails, and other line bred tangerine lines have not been crossed into this line.

APTORs supposedly incorporate a new patternless gene which looks like it may have arisen from stripe and reverse stripe crosses. These guys have also been selectively bred for orange body and tail coloration and do not incorporate Hine's line hypos and carrot tails, and other line bred tangerines.

-Alice

P.S. I don't have much personal experience with any of these lines, so feel free to chime in if I got anything wrong.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Blazin
Yeah what Alice said! Also welcome Jax and just wherebouts in the land of enchantment are ya?

Old 08-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
brucestephenson
Great explanation, Alice!

Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
diablohogs
hyglow (super-tangerine)- both linebred super hypo tangerine and tremper albino.

hybino- any strain of albino combined with ray hines hypo.

aptor- stripe X reverse stripe (i.m.o.) and tremper albino.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
spots-r-us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin
Yeah what Alice said! Also welcome Jax and just wherebouts in the land of enchantment are ya?
Just north of Albuquerque. I breed horses (leopard Appaloosas), so I know a fair bit about equine color genetics, but reptile colors seem vastly more complicated. Also, I don't think there have been any new horse "morphs" in a few thousand years or so, so it's not like there are new colors every year to figure out!

Thanks for the great answer, Alice!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
raiquee
Great explanation Alice!! And welcome Jax! I too was slightly confused on the whole sunglow, hyglow, hybino and all that fun stuff.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
groovygeckos
To answer your question.

No , Tangerines and Super Tangerines are not connected except for the color itself .

I know you guys (and girls) pretty much answered the rest but anyways .

"Tangerine Torando" is Urbans exceptional "reddish" (i dont see it maybe its there) Tang line. A "Sunglow" is their version of a Hybino. Some others are using the name now .

A "Super Tangerine" is Ron Trempers name for his Tangerine Albinos that fill out like a "Hybino" (Hypo Albino) . It is not known if the Super Tang is from linebred "Hypo" or an actual Genetic Hypomelanism trait .

"Hyglo" was produced from Super Tang , and i beleive Alberto is now incorporating the true Hypo genes into that project .

"APTOR" is a Super Tang "Patternless" Designer Albino.

Oh and dont forget the "RAPTOR" (Red Eyed APTOR)

Old 08-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Sunset Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
From the best I can tell, you're exactly right on this. I don't think that there are any widely accepted standards as there are with hypos (10 body spots max) and super-hypos (no body spots).

Urban's tangerine tornados are just exceptional tangerines, the name was coined for marketing purposes. I don't think that they are really that different from any of the other top of the line tangs out there.

Hybinos are hypos albinos; albinos crossed with Hine's line hypos. Sunglow was a name coined by Urban to describe their Hybinos. So, these two terms are synonymous.

Hyglows are giant, and in most cases jungle albinos selectively bred for reduced body pattern, and orange body and tail coloration. Hine's line hypos and carrot tails, and other line bred tangerine lines have not been crossed into this line.

APTORs supposedly incorporate a new patternless gene which looks like it may have arisen from stripe and reverse stripe crosses. These guys have also been selectively bred for orange body and tail coloration and do not incorporate Hine's line hypos and carrot tails, and other line bred tangerines.

-Alice

P.S. I don't have much personal experience with any of these lines, so feel free to chime in if I got anything wrong.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!