Bad Guy Jason Hooton - Geckophoria/Protean Terrariums Bad Guy! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Phyllurus
Angry Jason Hooton - Geckophoria/Protean Terrariums Bad Guy!

Preface: I had ordered tanks from Jason Hooton/Geckophoria/Protean Terrariums one time prior to the transaction detailed below, and although they took longer than he said to get them here, they were received and as I had requested. It took a month last time rather than the 2 weeks in his sites terms and conditions.

I made payment to Jason on 5/31 through PayPal to have some custom glass tanks made. His terms say tanks will be ready to ship 2 weeks from payment being made.

I checked in a couple weeks later and got a response saying he was probably another week away from having them ready and he would let me know. No communication for a couple more weeks, followed by a response to my inquiry on 7/9 which said it was ready to go and he sent an email a week or two prior, which I did not receive. I was okay with it at this point because I had requested some modifications to his standard design and figured it might take a bit longer to get the tanks completed. He sent me an invoice for shipping, which I paid, and I was told the tanks would be shipped on July 15th.

I requested a tracking number on 7/16 and did not receive another response until 7/25 stating the he had dropped his phone in a pool and just that day got it replaced, then asking if I received the items. I informed him they had not been received and was contacted two days later and told they were shipped to the wrong location and were supposed to be picked up within 2 days and sent to me. At this time it's July 27th. I asked for a tracking number on 7/29 and got a response on 8/3 telling me he shipped through a broker and they had to do the arrangements for shipping and he would get a new tracking number as soon as they picked up the package.

On 8/9 I again asked for a tracking number, and was told I would have it by noon the next day. No response until I asked again at 6pm, and the tracking number was not provided, but I was asked to inspect the package upon arrival. I inquire again and am told the package is "stil in Colorado", followed by a story about how the shipping broker claimed it was mislabeled. I inquire again on 8/11 and 8/12 with no response until 8/16 when I get a text message saying the item was returned to him and was partially damaged, repairs were in progress and they would be re-shipped the following day. The following day (8/17) I am told the package was dropped back off at the brokers and it would arrive in 3 days. Asked for a tracking number on 8/18, which was not provided. No package still, no response, and now his cell and business numbers are disconnected.

The aside from the initial contact around the specs for the tanks, the entire exchange takes place over text messages and phone calls.

Avoid Jason Hooton/Geckophoria/Protean Terrariums. I made payments totaling $870 for the tanks and shipping. No tanks or refund 3 months later and all numbers are disconnected.

Thanks,
Aaron Holt

Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Jadenkisses
Is there anyway you can post the all texts exchanged, and what few emails you do have?
Any and all info helps.
Also, have you notified the seller of this thread?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Phyllurus
I have emailed the seller to inform them of the post. I cannot call since now both his business and cell number are disconnected.

I will see if there is some way for me to download the text messages, I'm not sure.

Here are the initial emails about the cages.

Geckophoria@aol.com to me
show details May 31
Payment received. I will have shipping info tomorrow. Talk to ya soon.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
Specializing in the naturalistic care
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/31/2010 3:39:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
Thanks. I paid the $608.40 invoice.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:
I sent the invoice twice. The first shows including shipping that I had entered to verify my previously quoted total was on track. I forgot to deduct before sending. The second reflects the product invoice and i will send the shipping invoice tomorrow. Please pay from the invoice totaling $608.40.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/31/2010 3:15:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
Works for me. This email for the invoice is fine.

On May 31, 2010 3:11 PM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:

I will send an invoice for the tanks and a separate one for the shipping. Two days before shipping I will ask for you to pay the shipping. Send the invoice to this email right?

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/31/2010 3:06:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
I read the terms, which are pretty standard. For something like glass, it's always best to check with the driver there in case a shipping insurance claim has to be made. It's near impossible to get paid if they break something otherwise.

For the PayPal payment, would you like me to pay for the tanks now so you can get started, or wait until you get the shipping quote and pay all at once tomorrow?

I really appreciate you working with me on modifications!

Thanks,
Aaron

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:
No problem Aaron. We do the bottom a bit different, but you will have the same result. I will get a shipping quote for you tomorrow. I expect the shipping to be about $200. Here is the breakdown on the cage and your price per.

16 x 16 x 32 Cage $129.00
Holes 2x$10=$20
Extra vent and supports $20.00
Subtotal $169.00
10% off from last order $16.90
Price per tank $152.10

Please look at terms and conditions to familiarize yourself with crating/pallet charge, which I will work with you on. It will be less. Also note claim and return conditions. It is mostly to cover my ass as well as yours. It is not as hard pressed as it sounds.
http://geckophoria.com/Termsconditions.html

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/31/2010 2:01:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
Jason,

That's great news! I found an article at the dendroboard forums which shows exactly the layout of the vent behind the door track and using a door strut with a cut out in front of it to allow the air through. This design is very detailed, and exactly what I was looking for. It has a vent behind the door and one at the top as well as with the perforated aluminum vents (if possible, if not, screen is fine).

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...step-step.html

Lets do a 6" substrate damn (and door strut). Can we do that with the doors extending to the top of the cage (ie: no drop at the top)? For the front vent behind the door track, I only need it 1" deep across the width of the tank as shown in the above link. The top vent should be 3" deep and towards the back. How does an 8" piece for the top-front and a 5" piece for the top back sound? The 1/2" hole for the misting head should be 2.5" in from the front of the top-front piece and centered across the width. The bottom (drain) hole should be 1.75" in diameter and centered 2" in from the substrate damn.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Feel free to call me if you have questions or want to talk it through.

Thanks again!
Aaron
206-214-7372

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:
Hey Aaron. The holes are no problem at all. As far as the vents, did you need/want both, top and bottom (behind or beneath door track) vents or just the top one? I need to know the dimensions and locations of the vents you are looking for. No matter the case I can be done. Let me know soon and we can get it done. Talk to ya soon.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/24/2010 7:54:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
Jason,

Sounds great on the drilling. The top hole should be centered on the top-front piece of glass and is 1/2" for the misting head and let me double check on the bottom one. The door size sounds good good too. As for the vents, the total design I'm looking for is something like the Dutch outfit Rana or German Der Terraristikladen make. Here are a couple links with images to both. They also use perforated stainless steel for the vents rather than screen. Is this a possibility? I understand these changes will alter the pricing.

http://www.dutch-rana.nl/index.php?o...pper&Itemid=35
http://www.terraristikladen.de/produ...ct_id=263&cp=1

Thanks,
Aaron

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:
Hey Aaron. The holes are $10 per hole, but no problem getting it done. The front vents won't be a problem either. On a cage with those dimensions we would generally put an 8" substrate dam and 4" drop from the top, making your doors about 19" tall. The vent on the top would be 8"x16" centered from front to back, running across the tank. Does this suit your needs? Where would you like the vent located? I would also need to know where you wanted the holes placed and what sizes? You wanted two holes per cage right? What is your zip code so that I can figure shipping? It's great to hear from you. I hope to hear from you again soon.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069

In a message dated 5/21/2010 12:51:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, chahoua@gmail.com writes:
Hello Jason,

Hopefully this email is still active for you. I was interested in ordering 4 of your 16x16x32 arboreal cages. Would it be possible to drill holes for misting and drainage, as well as add a vent to the front?. I understand these modifications will change the price as well.

I hope you're doing well.

Thanks,
Aaron Holt
206-214-7372

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM, <Geckophoria@aol.com> wrote:
Aaron,

my AOL account had been hacked and I had to shut it down until it could be resolved tried to use a friends computer to access Pay pal for your email but since it tied to my AOL account, it came back as an unverifiable account and I could not access it. I will be sending the tanks out on Fri 3/28. The total is $51.87. Please make sure to keep your invoice. I am including a memo on it giving you 10% off of your next order. I am very sorry about the inconvenience and trauma. Talk to ya soon.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians

Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Phyllurus
Last set of emails. I did not receive a response from here on and the rest of the communication is over the phone and text messages. Will look into a way to download them.

Geckophoria@aol.com to me
show details Jun 9
Hey Aaron. It will not be ready to ship for another 10 days or so. My terms page says about two weeks for cage orders. I will let you know when you need to pay it. Basically I will email you a day or two before I plan to ship. That way you have a few days to get a chance to get and read the email and get it paid. I will talk to ya soon.

Thanks
Jason Hooton
Geckophoria
of Geckos and Amphibians
Geckophoria.com
951-277-0069
- Show quoted text -
Forward
Aaron Holt to Geckophoria
show details Jun 9
No problem. Thanks for the heads up.

- Show quoted text -
Forward
Aaron Holt to Geckophoria
show details Jun 29
Hello Jason,

I thought I would check in and see how things are going since we haven't talked in a bit. Hope you're doing well.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Jadenkisses
Looks like this guy ran out of excuses as to why your tanks were not being shipped, so he dropped off the face of the earth, and is just hoping you'll go away. This is a strange situation, because he sounded really legit while you two were discussing the specs of your tanks, but when it comes time to ship them out to you, he gives you reason after reason as to why he hasn't done it yet, then disappears.
Maybe Paypal can help you, have you tried contacting them and letting them know about what's going on?
I hope that you can get some sort of resolution to this.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Robin Banks
Jason Perillo is the owner of Protean Terrarium Design, NOT Jason Hooton of Geckophoria. Two different people, same first name.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Phyllurus
Jason Hooton sells the terrariums as "Protean Terrariums" as listed on his website here...

http://geckophoria.com/Protean_Cages.html

While I see that now Jason Perillo now has his own website, I can't tell you if they are affiliated or not.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Phyllurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkisses View Post
Looks like this guy ran out of excuses as to why your tanks were not being shipped, so he dropped off the face of the earth, and is just hoping you'll go away. This is a strange situation, because he sounded really legit while you two were discussing the specs of your tanks, but when it comes time to ship them out to you, he gives you reason after reason as to why he hasn't done it yet, then disappears.
Maybe Paypal can help you, have you tried contacting them and letting them know about what's going on?
I hope that you can get some sort of resolution to this.
It does appear he ran out of excuses. The fact all numbers are now disconnected is usually a telling sign.

I have filed a claim with PayPal, but unless you buy something through eBay, or from a PayPal affiliated seller, they do not guarantee transactions and will only return what funds they can reclaim. I will let you know what happens.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
Phyllurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Banks View Post
Jason Perillo is the owner of Protean Terrarium Design, NOT Jason Hooton of Geckophoria. Two different people, same first name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylurus View Post
Jason Hooton sells the terrariums as "Protean Terrariums" as listed on his website here...

http://geckophoria.com/Protean_Cages.html

While I see that now Jason Perillo now has his own website, I can't tell you if they are affiliated or not.
The Protean terrarium designs website was not up at the time I ordered the cages. Robin's comment prompted me to contact Jason Perillo and ask if Jason Hooton even had him make the cages for me or not. It may shed some more light on the situation.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Robin Banks
I just called Jason Perillo to let him know about this, he will be online shortly. I have seen the cages in question, they have been ready to go for a while. Aaron, I will PM you Jason P.'s number, he wants to talk to you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!