Pictures and Selling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
KrisGarner
Pictures and Selling

I was wondering what is the best lighting and background for photos to sell albino and het boa babies. I am getting ready to start selling mine and want something that will show their colors good, but don't want to "misrepresent" them by putting them under lights that may brighten their colors and then somebody be dissapointed.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
LadyOhh
Black Background is always nice... (Especially for Albinos)

I've seen people use the Black Acrylic to enhance the lighting and shadowing, and that is always very eye catching.

The main thing you need to do is make sure you have the lighting right. Without the correct lighting, you can wash out the colors, make them look very dull, or even completely miss the correct colors you see with your own eyes.

Practice makes perfect.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
liquidleaf
Right. You might want to try getting a 'sunlight' sort of bulb - they are kind of expensive but represent true sunlight better than most other lights. Fluorescents can make thing blue/green, while incandescents can make them reddish I think. I've seen lots of artists and tattoo artists using sunlights where seeing actual color, or color matching, is important.

You can try playing around with white cardboard to 'bounce' light from the light source onto your snake indirectly. That will provide light without washing it out too much. Sometimes using a paper towel or other semi-transparent white fabric over a flash will help soften it. There are lots of things you can try, but you want to bounce light onto your subject without necessarily beaming the light directly on it, to avoid glare.

They sell little 'light booths' at Ritz Camera, mainly aimed at auction sellers, it's a little white fabric box, you light it from above and take a picture from the front, the white fabric 'walls' help bounce light onto the back of the item. You could probably rig something similar up with some white fabric.

Generally, bad lighting tends to make a snake look washed out. The only times you normally see an "overly bright" snake, whose colors look way better than they should, is when people mess around too much with brightness/contrast or photoshop. Just with lighting, it's hard to make a snake look "too vibrant". Good, white light and white 'bouncing' material is all you should need. Some cameras allow you to adjust white balance, which helps too - you aim it at a white object near where you will be taking pictures, and it helps tell the camera what "real" white looks like in that environment.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Sweeney's Serpents
Hey Michael

Dave told me produced some boas this year! Congrats! He is interested in getting some from you so give him a call. I would use a black light with a cool poster from Spencer's Gift for a background

Take Care Scott..........................

Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
KrisGarner
Hey Scott,

I talked to Dave last week. He wants some hets when I sexed them. i got them sexed and just haven't got around to calling him back.

I tried the blacklight, doesn't really do much.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
KrisGarner
Heather,

See my post about Photo on Black Plexi, they turn out real good, just have to play with the lighting a bit.

Lauren,

Thanks for the tips. I am looking at a fish bulb called "Lightning Rod", it is supposed to bring out the coraling in the babies if they have it.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Sweeney's Serpents
I was kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
KrisGarner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney's Serpents
I was kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Yeah, but it was funny you said that, my girlfriend asked me about it earlier (before I saw your post), so I figured I would give it a shot and went and dug out an old blacklight. Their heads are a funny yellow-green color and some of the tail saddle borders glow yellow. Nothing special, though. Now if I could just find my tie dyed shirt

Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
I used garland etc. laying around the snakes when I took pics to sell the last ones I had. I thought the greens and flower colors brought out their natural color, and also gave some other color types to judge from so that the customer could see the color wasn't misrepresented.

Good luck

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
BryonsBoas
I've found earlier morning or later day to be good times for natural sunlight pics.