thinking of a hogg island boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
techgirl
thinking of a hogg island boa

A friend of mine has offered to sell me two baby hoggs he will getting next week. I just want to make sure that this would be a good choice for me. What kind of tank size do they require when full grown? Humidity? Temp? Temperment? I've been doing some research but as always, find conflicting info on different sites. These babies are supposed to be fourth generation Sear's line and Lemke. He's offering them at 200 each, is that a fair price? Thank you for all your help and info.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Finghin
It's about typical price, I just got my first Hog Island about a month ago and he's beyond awesome! Mine is being a bit stubborn about eating, but other than that he's perfect, has a great temperament. When he's full grown he's going into a 90 gallon custom tank. Not sure what the general rule is with housing them...

Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
hhmoore
I will agree that Hog Island boas are a great choice. I will say that at $200 each they are toward the higher end of market (considering both big and small names), unless they are exceptional animals...but certainly not unreasonable. And since this is a resale, there is likely to be shipping or travel factored in somewhere, which puts it pretty much right on the money. I always hesitate to recommend adult cage sizes, because you never really know how big something is going to get (and I have seen some small/dwarf forms grow to standard BCI potential). Figure, though, that males will avg about 5 ft, and females about 6+...a conservative feeding schedule and slow growth is probably better for the snake in the long run than going with a more "typical" approach. I have actually passed up a couple of females this year because they were too big for their age. I have attached pics of my largest female, with a paper towel tube for size reference. She is 4-5 yrs old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hog061306.JPG (61.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg hogf61306.JPG (64.5 KB, 104 views)

Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
snakebiteAZ1
here's mine!!

These are true Sears Line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0066.jpg (119.4 KB, 94 views)

Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
The Reptile House
This is our girl and we love her, hoping she took and is gravid! I would definitely recommend them just keep a close eye on the humidity due to it does need to be higher than the rest. Shanell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h2.jpg (34.4 KB, 93 views)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
techgirl
Will be getting one soon!!!

My friend got them last week and he's already said that all 8 of them have taken pinkies!! He wants to keep them one week longer before selling them to make sure they eat again and poop normally. Can't wait to see these guys!!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
techgirl
Next week is the big day!!!

I'll be getting my hogg on the following Sunday!!! They all have taken 2 meals and he wants to feed them one more time before they go to their respective homes. I did decide on a male. If I do wish to breed later on, he does have access to unrelated females that are older. I can't wait to get him!!!! Now I have to think of a name, get his tank ready, prepare the boyfriend for another animal in the house, gush like a school girl, etc...lol.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
. I have attached pics of my largest female, with a paper towel tube for size reference. She is 4-5 yrs old.
And FAT! She's built like a blood Harald. LOL But a nice looking girl non the less. Actually, they all look nice. May get me one, one of these days. But I would like to try for a fresh import. That's much later on though.

Thanks for sharing
Rick

Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
techgirl
I'm thinking of a just getting a male now. The 20 L would have been for both. Now I have a dumb ?, what does bci stand for? I just can't seem to come up with the name for that. thanks again for everything.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
hhmoore
OK - I admit it...she had a fresh meal in her. I only feed her (smallish) medium rats, so sometimes when I have a left over she gets an extra. (I generally break up my feedings over 2-3 days/week, depending on my schedule. what this means to her is that sometimes she gets an extra rat after 2-3 days, then her schedule gets shifted according to the latest feeding). Gearing her up for breeding this year. I'll take and post pics of all the hogs in a day or so...its raining today, and they just ate, lol.