Tom Crutchfield - dba Herps Ltd - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
East_Coast
Tom Crutchfield - dba Herps Ltd

As long as I am in here today I might as well post a nice buying experience I had with Tom Crutchfield.

I bought 9 baby Emerald Tree Boas from him in late January. It was too cold to ship via FedEx so he Delta Dashed them at his suggestion.

They arrived - well packaed, all in good shape, and as advertised.

I can't stress enough how helpful and accommodating he was during the whole process and was very nice to talk to about the animals.

I have always heard this and that about different people in this business - but I can tell you that I am very pleased and I will order from him again without hesitation if I see something that he has that I want.

You have to deal with people directly sometimes to get the real picture.

Thanks,

Peter Jolles

Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
East_Coast
Sheez - people I am sorry that my fingers are screwing the letters up on my keyboard as per above.

Believe it or not, I can spell.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
EricIvins
Peter,

Hows that big Northern Female I sent you doing?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Agreed.
I have spoken to Tom on several occasions at some of the Florida shows that he attends. He is very knowledgable and willing to share his experience.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
East_Coast
Etb

Eric,

She is doing F A N T A S T I C !!!!

Man I love that snake. She is well fed and it is hard for me not to feed her every day.

I have held her several times and she has never offered to bite.

I can't relay to you enough about how satisfied I am with our trade.

How are the Red-Foots?

Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
EricIvins
The Redfoots are doing what they do best: Eating, Pooping, and smearing themselves in it. I have a top tier adult pair coming to me either Friday or Saturday, so if anything I might have hatchlings later in the year

Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
PAULSCHUMANN
I'm not sure if I have ever dealt with Tom personally, or if it was just some of his employees, but I've been burned bad enough by that name to not risk another order...not even today (15 years later).

Hopefully it was just a few problems with the staff at that time, and I hope the ethics and business practices under that last name have improved since the days of the multi colored monthly mailing lists.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
Tim Cole
Thumbs down I second that...

Crutchfield is not a name I would be proud to be associated with. He burned me twice in the early 90's and I did not go for three with him.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
PAULSCHUMANN
It was amazing how important those neatly folded red, pink, lime green, or blaze orange price lists were to a 13 year old reptile enthusiast that had recently moved from a southern heaven, to the extreme cold of the north where there were few scaled critters to be found. I would study those damn lists all month till the next one would arrive, learning the latin names of every specie on them. I stared in amazement when the first albino american aligators showed up on it for $175,000 or the false gavials for $50,000. I would eagerly show my parents as they pretended to care.

After a year and a half of recieving these and after saving all I could working at a taxidermy shop skinning deer through the winter I decided to make my first reptile investment. I wanted to order a variety of colored amazon tree boas and breed them for certain traits. solid reds, solid yellows etc etc... anyway, long story short...I purchased the snakes from crutchfield and I wound up opening my first box...of enydris on their death bed. a couple had ruptured eyes, all were severely emaciated, the inside of the bags had bloody fecal matter in them, a few couldn't close their mouths, a few couldn't right themselves, etc... etc...kind of like getting coal in every box for your first Christmas ever, it just makes you wanna blow santas brains out. every snake was dead within the week. Of course I called and complained but whoever took the calls had little to no time for me and said they couldn't guarantee them because the shipper of their choice didn't deliver to my area (or something along those lines).

about 6 months later I had to try again (unfortunately at that time I thought crutchfields was all there was) This time I wanted to breed red eyes, and dendrobates histrionicus (at the time they were 25$ each on the list) so I ordered like 10 red eyes and they were out of histos so I just had to spend the rest, and I wound up getting 15 or so gold mantellas. anyway that shipment showed up early the next morning, I opened the box and every frog was completely dried out, as if they spent a week in a dehydrator. I assume what had happened was some one had put dried moss in each deli cup and forgot to moisten it when they added the frogs and shipped them to me. I called, yelled, screamed, etc etc...."sorry sir we do not guarantee live arrival on amphibians" some B.S. about how it was the shippers fault and..."CLICK".

The following Fall I had collected several nice fat tiger salamanders and of course I had no one else to sell them to at that time but the one and only world famous crutchfield. we agreed on a price and I shipped him 100 sallys. I got a call a week later and was told they weren't as big or as nice as they had expected and said they would only pay half. I got half my money 3 weeks later. Now I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the tiger salamanders I sell, were, and are some of the best in the country.

All in all...If I ever see they guy today I'd probably sac-tag him and walk away with a smile on my face.

Thanks Tom, I learned alot.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
East_Coast
I am sorry to open old wounds guys.

I also got those lists as a kid "Reptile Industries" I think it was --- in Bushnell,FL.

I bought a few things from him while in high school and I don't ever remember getting a bad deal.

Whatever -- I dealt with him last week and he was very nice and everything he sent to me was exactly as advertised.

- Peter Jolles