Minors...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
DAND
Minors......

Is there some way to have minor's screen names differ from that of the rest? I have noticed a few instances where some people are finding out after the fact that they are/have dealt with a minor. Actually, I don't think minors should be allowed to post classifieds in the first place but at the very least if the site is going to continue to allow minors to place classifieds and sell items the site could help by showing who the minors are.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
JordanAng420
I totally agree.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Ghostkitten
As a parent I would be totally on board with this...or their profile names being in a different color like some ids are different till they reach of age.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
JordanAng420
Anyone can lie about their age though. I know that for a fact. How could we prevent that?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
Anyone can lie about their age though. I know that for a fact. How could we prevent that?
That I'm not sure about that but I think something should be done with those who tell the truth about their age and for those found to be lying.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Ramiro
I think if you somehow make it obvious that certain users are minors it will make it very difficult for them to buy or sell anything on Fauna and that will drive some of them away. Bad idea in my opinion unless that's exactly what you'd like to see done, ban minors from trading.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
I think if you somehow make it obvious that certain users are minors it will make it very difficult for them to buy or sell anything on Fauna and that will drive some of them away. Bad idea in my opinion unless that's exactly what you'd like to see done, ban minors from trading.
I think that may be the point.. would you want to purchase an animal from someone, only to have an issue with it, and find out that the person was 16, and you can do absolutely nothing about it because they are a minor? You are then stuck with either taking the loss, or working with the kids parents. Neither of which are fair to anyone.

If a younger person wants to sell.. fine.. but the parents then need to be involved.

Personally, I think anyone that is buying an animal, should verify that the person/seller is above 18. I know I would never want to deal with an under aged person, and I will not sell to someone under the age of 18 without the parents consent.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
joebanj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
I think that may be the point.. would you want to purchase an animal from someone, only to have an issue with it, and find out that the person was 16,
IMO you're not always going to have an issue with sales that are done with minors. If you don't know the seller or buyers age then ask and then take it from there and chose what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
If a younger person wants to sell.. fine.. but the parents then need to be involved..
If it is a must where a parent or guardian needs to be involved they'll most likely end up being the middleman / communicator as most parents will only know certain basic things about the reptile or reptiles that are being sold/bought.

At most minors should have to post/add to their classifieds that they are a minor and have a legal guardian willing to be involved if necessary. And if you're willing to deal with that then reply to the post, But banning minors entirely is a bit far.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
Run them off, no, but they have no place selling without parental support especially when not doing so without disclosing their age. I'm sorry but the internet has made it difficult to know who you are dealing with. The Chris's and Pat's notwithstanding you don't know if participant "X" is 16 or 46. Yeah you can get some sort idea when corresponding with them but short of them disclosing their age you do not have any idea if you are dealing with a minor or not.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
joebanj
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Run them off, no, but they have no place selling without parental support especially when not doing so without disclosing their age..
You mean like have parental control on accounts of minors, which then when minors have consent to open a classified the parent has to be involved when requested? What if they lie? Possibly restricted from the classifieds till it is resolved. If a minor has an inquiry about and animal he/she is selling it should be let known from the start of his/her age, it should be a given. How this would be enforced is beyond me and if you have doubts about the posters age simply do not go through with the deal.