A new classifieds system on this site - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
WebSlave
A new classifieds system on this site

OK, I have tied in a new classifieds subsystem to FaunaClassifieds and need some testing done on it. Not all options are enabled yet as I am still working on some things.

Depending on the results and acceptance from users, this may eventually replace the regular classifieds sections here that are nothing more then just forums.

This system uses the login from FaunaClassifieds, so it is really just an extension of the forums. I believe it has it's own feedback capability, so this might be gettng into overkill with too much of that on this site. Would be nice if I could integrate them all into one single system, but that might be a bigger chore then I would like to tackle right now.

This new system as a rudimentary auction capability, so play with it and see what you think about it. I'm not keen about doing anything auction related, but this might be light weight enough that it won't bring the problems that a full blown auction can bring.

When you get a chance, just give me some feedback, if you don't mind.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_classifieds/

When I have this and that other system looking like they are fully functional, they will both be tied into FaunaClassifieds so everyone can use them.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
DThomas
That was quick and easy. Very nice system. One thing though, can html code be turned on? It's not working/on at the moment.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
WebSlave
Hmm, good question. Shame I don't have a quick answer. I double checked in the admin section but don't see a toggle for that option. I posted a query with the support people to see what they say. Seems to me I remember another classifieds system I looked at where this same issue came up. There was some sort of code I could add to enable HTML processing within the screens. But lord only knows where that message is now.

Anyway, when I hear something I will let you know.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Sasheena
I tried to place an ad in the Kingsnake section .. a "wanted" ad, and I could only get to step two of three where it says to choose your category, and has a drop down menu, but nothing is IN the drop down menu to actually select, and I can't seem to get beyond that step.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
DThomas
That's weird. The drop down menu was populated for me.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
WebSlave
No, Sasheena is correct. If you select for the Type of ad to be "Wanted" then in the next step there is nothing in the drop down menu.

Hmm... wonder what THAT means......

Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
WebSlave
Ah! That's not a bug, that's a feature!

Apparently the way the system is designed is that each category is assigned a particular type of ad via a template. When I create the categories, I assign which template is to be used for that particular category. Sooo, what this means is that I have to create separate categories for items FOR SALE that will be isolated from the WANTEDS categories.

I guess I can't say whether this is a "right" way or a "wrong" way to do this, but that is the way it is.

So I need to rethink the structure of this so that it is logically laid out. That way only half of the people using it won't like it......

Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
Mark and Aimee
The system looks and works great. I like the ability to upload more than one picture, and the fact that the ads actually expire. I've used other classifieds sites (non reptile) that use the same/similar software, and have always liked the look/feel of it.

I'm not so sure about the bidding part. I'd probably elect to NOT use it.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #9
WebSlave
I'm still working on the HTML thing. I went back and check my old emails and discovered that it was exactly this same software that I had looked at back in July. The developer at that time told me that it was a simple one line code change needed to be made to implement the inline HTML. Of course, he didn't tell me WHAT that line was, back then, so I shot him an email to ask. Fortunately, this is the same guy who installed the software here for me, and he has been pretty quick to get back to me with answers.

Maybe tonight I will be able to address the For Sale/Wanteds division I need to figure out. Anyone got any preferences or suggestions to what they think would be best?

I am undecided if I should do something like

Code:
-A-
For Sale
    Snakes
        Ball Pythons
        Boas
        Corn Snakes
    Lizards
       Bearded Dragons
       Chameleons
       Geckos

Wanteds
    Snakes
        Ball Pythons
        Boas
        Corn Snakes
    Lizards
       Bearded Dragons
       Chameleons
       Geckos

========================

or
-B-
Snakes
    Ball Pythons
        For Sale
        Wanted
    Boas
        For Sale
        Wanted
    Corn Snakes
        For Sale
        Wanted
Lizards
   Bearded Dragons
        For Sale
        Wanted
   Chameleons
        For Sale
        Wanted
   Geckos
        For Sale
        Wanted
There are pluses and minuses to both methods.....

Old 12-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
progeckos
Well, I actually like it! The layout is way different and will probably take people a little time to get used to it. Now if an ad expires can it be quickly re-listed or do we have to post it as a new ad?

One thing I’m not sure about is the way the ads are listed. I like thumbnail picture but I don’t care for the start of the ad under the ‘title’ and ‘posted by user’. If there are quite a few ads I think it would be hard to shift through them as there’s so much text. The titles would probably be sufficient enough. Maybe instead of having the ‘preview’ in the post do like what’s in the forums, have the users hover of over the title for a preview.