Hatchlings.. What to expect? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Horned Frog
Hatchlings.. What to expect?

Hello reptile community!

I have just started to breed my female dragon. It is her first time breeding and I am a little bit anxious as to what I can expect from the whole process. I have done my research and am proceeding with the whole process quite well. She is currently fatter than can be and in her lay box, I am expecting eggs within a few days. My first questions are about double clutches: Will it always happen? how many times will she lay a fertile clutch from one series of copulations (they spent a week together, giving her breaks every day)? Will my animal now continue to lay eggs, fertile or not, for the rest of her life? I am a bit concerned about how many clutches she will lay solely because I know it is taxing on the animal and she is my little princess (her as a juvenile as my avatar).
My second set of questions is concerning the hatchlings. First off do hatchlings come out of the eggs with the basic colors they will retain, or do the colors develop more slowly along with the animal? I have read a lot of conflicting stuff about how to house the young and I am wondering how many can be housed together and until what size? I plan to keep at least one of the little babies but I want to sell the rest. I am not doing this as some scheme to try and make a fortune but I would like to at least break even. I know that the babies must be about 6 inches or so before they are stable enough to be sold as a companions to any (presumable incompetent) person but I am wondering if it would be ok to sell them all to a reptile store or a seasoned breeder at a younger age; this way I would save on $$ trying to feed an army of lizards and they would be in capable care until they are ready to find homes.
If you have experience and can shed some light on my queries the information would be greatly appreciated. I would be glad to post pictures of wink (my female) in her current state and the male dragon (I believe he is part german giant regardless isa handsome animal) if anybody would like to see. I do have one final question and it is about price.. Both the animals a pedigree and I have the genetics of the female (my buddy is working on getting the male's from his breeder), what is the rule of thumb for pricing bearded dragons? is it solely based on their color or will some recessive gene passed from a parent be potentially very valuable? How similar to the parents can one expect offspring to be and what is the consistency as far as colors go?

This is a lot but I hope somebody can help me out. I love the reptile community; for the most part it is a hugely facilitating niche with patriots all working towards the progress of the hobby. Thanks for reading and have a good one!