Bite put me in the ER - Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #21
TrpnBils
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
BTW.......Did that prehensile tailed skink get a good latch on you? LOL I got bit by one a few years back. He got my pinky while changing water. He lunged from under his hide so quick, I could not even react. Jaws like a freakin pit bull. He held on for like 5 minutes, just crushing, and chomping, then a good shake, and when the skin peeled off, he was happy and let go. Actually the worst lizard bite I've ever had. Hurt like the dickens.

Ciao,
Rick
well, it surprised me more than anything. It was during one of our reptile shows, and for those of you not familiar with the species, let me point something out. They have long nails that are VERY sharp, and they're pretty strong. They tend to want to climb, so if you try to hold them in your hand you've got two options: LET them climb, or get ripped up by the nails. What I usually did was let them climb up to around my shoulder and then move them back to my hand to start all over again while I was talking. We have 4 that we use for shows (only one at a time though), and none of them have a particularly bad temper once they're out of the exhibit (and even while they're in, only one is aggressive sometimes). This day though, when I reached up to take him off of my upper arm, I must have spooked him because he bit my ear...lol. I'm glad he didn't hang on, and it didn't hurt at all actually which surprised me - just bled a little bit and then was itchy a couple of days later like most cuts are.

Also, Coyote, I think I posted it earlier in this thread, but I found some info about the relationship between the two families of lizards and you're right...they're distantly related, but not the same anymore.