Growth Rates? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Valerie
Growth Rates?

Back in August we bought 2 LVPA's from a breeder. They were both from the same parents, but from different clutches. The first hatched in May after 54 days of incubation, while the other hatched in July after 69 days. When we got them the smaller one weighed under 6 grams and the larger was around 19. The smaller one was strange from the second we opened up her deli cup, with a good amount of extra skin around her neck and shoulders, which sort of made her look like she didn't have a neck.

I instantly became attached to the smaller one, hand feeding her a few meal worms at every feeding and letting her eat the rest of them from her bowl. She's always been a consistent eater, but she barely grows! Like I said she was 6 grams in August when we got her and now 6 months after being in our care she is tipping the scales at 29 grams. She appears healthy with a chubby stomach and tail, she's just really small and stocky. She still gains an average of 4 grams per month but her sibling who was 19 grams when we got her in now 62.

I know all geckos have different growth rates, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had this happen. I guess our concerns lay in our records, where we had our first hatchling in August, who in three months time was up to 50 grams (not a giant) and this little girl is hanging back in the weight and size category.

Here's the most recent picture of her, and don't worry, her arm isn't always turned that way! You can see the extra skin wrinkles she has around her neck and take a look at her size.
http://www.ryanroth.com/leos/breeders_rwpa_count.html