hypo = co-dominant - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #41
robin d.
hypo het bell

she has that sorta hypo pastel look to her.. she is really neat

Old 03-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #42
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Chad, since you have have always been a snake guy and only been involved with Leopard Geckos for a very short time, I think you are thinking along the lines of snake morph genetics. Although the same rules may very well apply, we are only just beginning to understand how it works with leos. Heck, we aren't even sure yet about the taxonimy of all of the various 'strains', 'species', and/or 'sub-species' of Leopard Geckos that are found all over SW Asia!
Quote:
It's also possible for seemingly identical phenotypes to be the result of entirely unrelated genotypes. For this reason alone it's inappropriate to start comparing known genotypical pattern and color mutations between species.
There is a good point to this. I always find this subject to be compelling and interesing... but since I do not line breed, I will never be one of those famous (or should I say infamous) breeders who develops any of these 'new' morphs!

Chad, I think everyone shares your hunger to understand and explain what we do know about reptile genetics and morphs vs. mutations, and how it translates to that of Leopard Geckos. I thought your earlier post http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=33848 got off to a good start, but kind of fizzled out. But, we must keep in mind that only until recently have we begun to delve into the science of subject with leos. We can rely on the methods that were used on other species to determine the outcome, but cannot always use the outcome for those species to apply to all.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #43
diablohogs
Quote:
Chad, since you have have always been a snake guy and only been involved with Leopard Geckos for a very short time, I think you are thinking along the lines of snake morph genetics.

the basic principals of genetics apply to all living things. there are of course differences in the morphs themselves but a recessive gene opperates the same in a fern as it does in an aligator and same as dominant and co-dominant genetics.

Quote:
Chad, I think everyone shares your hunger to understand and explain what we do know about reptile genetics and morphs vs. mutations, and how it translates to that of Leopard Geckos.
Hearing that makes me feel good! if what you say is true than we should be able to sort this all out within the next couple years.

the whole bell het thing has got me scratching my head....apparently producing these hets that have no black markings is a little more common than me or steven thought. there are like 3 pictures of other examples of this on this thread. shocking. the cool thing would be to breed them together.... unless its a sex determined gene.... the one that kimberly now has appears to be a male...are any of the other ones posted on this thread female... something to think about. also what temp were these incubated at? all male temps (88-90) create lighter geckos. this whole thing has got me confused.... now im gonna have to get into bells.... so Kelli.... got any nice tang bells hatching this year?

Old 03-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #44
KelliH
Not yet but I will (*crosses fingers*)

Het Bells, breeding now

Old 03-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #45
Snakebyt
man Kelli, you have some really nice stuff.. i am going to have to come by and see all of them one of these days

Old 03-27-2004, 03:04 AM   #46
robin d.
chad the picture i posed was in fact a female... however she is the result of a bell albino crossed with a super hypo.. so her being hypo was intentional

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!