Baja Kingsnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
annmikeal
Baja Kingsnake

Got this little girl yesterday and I cant seem to find any information on her... Wondering if anyone out there has some information on the Baja Kingsnake???

Or if this is not actually a Baja, does anyone know what she is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974359@N08/5486256812/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974359@N08/5485659745/

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmikeal View Post
Got this little girl yesterday and I cant seem to find any information on her... Wondering if anyone out there has some information on the Baja Kingsnake???

Or if this is not actually a Baja, does anyone know what she is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974359@N08/5486256812/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974359@N08/5485659745/
That is a naturally occurring form of the California kingsnake known as the "nitida" phase. The are found in the extreme southern Baja peninsula(Baja sur)........very nice!

~Doug

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
annmikeal
Dang it I should have asked more questions before I bought her... I have never had too much luck with the Cal Kings, they have always liked to bite me, lol

Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmikeal View Post
Dang it I should have asked more questions before I bought her... I have never had too much luck with the Cal Kings, they have always liked to bite me, lol
Many times their instinctive biting/chewing response is from not being fed enough. and not out of aggressiveness. They have a very fast metabolism, and a voracious feeding response..LOL! If they coil up and strike, many times they will grow out of this behavior with a bit more size and them gradually learning that you are not a big evil "monster" that means them bodily harm or are going to eat them..LOL!

Also, you should ALWAYS wash your hands after cleaning or working with any other snakes you might have, because if they catch the scent, this can easily trigger them into "feeding mode".

Anyway, yep!,.....that's a nice little hypermelanistic "nitida" phase Cal. king..

~Doug

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
annmikeal
Well thanks Doug... Ive never personally owned a Cal King, just worked for a breeder, so that could be why

Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
D. Mong
Oh!,.....also, if it has a striking response when you gently reach down for it in it's enclosure, you can fashion a small hook out of stiff wire like a cloths hanger. Then you can hook it at mid-body, slowly lift it out, and gently lower it into your other free-hand. This works great for nervous snakes, and before they even know what happened, they are in your hand without the movement of your giant "monster" hand coming down on them to zero in on and strike at.

With 43 years of owning thousands of snakes since 1967, I have learned just a few things about these critters..LOL!

~Doug

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
jlassiter
Why would you buy a snake and not know what it is?????????????????????
After 21 years of keeping thousands of snakes since 1990 I've learned that much............LOL

Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlassiter View Post
Why would you buy a snake and not know what it is?????????????????????
After 21 years of keeping thousands of snakes since 1990 I've learned that much............LOL
HAHAAA!!!. ..yeah, you would think that would have been part of the vendor/buyer conversation..LOL!

~Doug

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
annmikeal
Look guys, Im not a retard, I just had never heard of that particular type of kingsnake, the seller was working on his computer, so I just bought her...

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
jlassiter
It's cool.....we've all had impulse buys.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!