Need Some Help with Kenyan Sand Boa Genetics Terminology - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
sstephenson
Need Some Help with Kenyan Sand Boa Genetics Terminology

My son and I have recently gotten "the bug" to breed Kenyan Sand Boas and we've started putting together a small collection of breeding stock. I've been doing a bit of reading on basic KSB genetics, but I was hoping to get some help from those of you with some experience with Kenyans.

First off, I've seen animals referred to in numeric form (for example, "1.1" or "2.1"). What does this mean?

Is there a good general reference (book, website, etc.) for reptile genetics and the associated terminology?

Is there a more specific reference for Kenyan Sand Boas that might discuss dominant and recessive traits, naturally occuring forms, color morphs, etc. ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Steve

Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Toby_H
The numerical representation discloses gender...

First number is male (1.0 means one male)
Second number means female (0.1 means one female)
Third number means unknown gender (0.0.1 means one unknown gender)

So if you have 7 Sand Boas, 2 males, 4 females and one unknown... you have 2.4.1 Sand Boas...

I'm new to keeping this species of Boas myself, and I haven't given myself a breeder's education yet...

They come in several of the "standard" morphs such as Anerythristic (Anery), Albino, Genetic Stripe and a few others...

I do not know of a conclusive site the gives all the details you seem to be looking for. But I'll be watchign this thread to see if someone shares one.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
sstephenson
Need Some Help with Kenyan Sand Boa Genetics Terminology

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

I did find some good information on Mark Huntley's website regarding breeding strategies to produce certain morphs:

http://sandboamorphs.blogspot.com/20...-genetics.html

I also found a nice tool for calculating the probability of certain characteristics being passed on to offspring based on the parent's genetics:

http://www.geneticswizard.com/f_star...ics_wizard.asp

There are also quite a number of sites with some good guides to basic terminology:

http://serpwidgets.com/Genetics/genetics.html

I'm sure there are lots more. Keep the suggestions coming.

Steve

Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Shmoges
My Fiancee and I are both very interested in sand boas aswell and are trying to build a stock of potential breeders for the future.

I recomend thsi book from vmsreptiles
http://www.vmsherp.com/4SaleSupplies.htm

We bought our albino het snow KSB from sandboa morphs, they are great people and from there pics of their shop I know where to get my racks.

Some other great sites for morph pics are http://hollowayherps.com/
http://www.savinggracereptiles.com/
very expensive....

I want an unrelated breeding pair of rufesent sand boas to grow up and get a bunch of straight ruffies to make stripes and peppers with.

Right now we just have a male anery, a female flame, and the male albino

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
kenchat046
hello everyone,............ Maybe I can help answer a few questions I see listed.

As far as books go, there really is no definitive sand boa breeding/husbandry/morph guide out there. We do need one though! Hopefully as they gain in popularity someone will come along and do one.

off the tope of my head I would guess there are well over 30 morph or color patterns of KSB`s. With the possibility of a few more this year. For anyone wanting to see a good picture gallery I would recommend Jeff Holloways site. Jeff has been in the KSB game for a long time and has many morphs in his gallery to drool over. Mark Huntley is also in the process of putting together a Wall of Fame page to recognize who was the first to introduce or breed certain mutations in the KSB world.

there are already some pretty fine listings above for figuring out genetics so I dont really need to touch on that.

Finally I would say if your truly interested in KSB`s......... contact the breeders. Kenyans are some of the best snakes out there and they have been under the radar for a long time. With the ease of feeding,breeding, price affordability and the literal rainbow of colors available I like many others feel its just a matter of time till they explode in our hobby.

Hopefully this helps answer some of the questions out there. Good luck with your projects and welcome to the world of the lil guys! Ken

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!