Warning about Pyrethrin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
dinosaurdammit
Warning about Pyrethrin

I wanted to warn you guys of symptoms your boas may face if exposed to too high a dose. I posted this also on another forum.

To those it may concern. Please be aware that I have first hand to the damage it can do. If you are using pyrethrin please take the time to look up SAFE dosages for snakes or other herps. Recently I had a boa that exibited IBD symptoms; however, I refused to believe it was IBD and my vet worked with me to determine that it was a pyrethrin toxcidity. It causes the animal to build it up and store in their urine, liver, and kidneys. Some symptoms may include:

Trouble breathing
Lethargic nature
Avoiding light
Unable to right itself
Drooling
Muscle spasums
Trouble passing feces/urine
Urine may be thick and green in color- think spinich baby food
Smelly saliva- it has an almost almond twangy smell to it
Scales drying out in patches
Skin rashes
Unable to slither effectavly
Unable to swallow effectavly
Labored breathing
Coarkscrewing of the head
Stargazing
Tremors both full body and head
Bloating/water retention
Upsidedown behavior
Unable to coil
Muscle weakness
Uncordination
Kidney problems
Liver problems
Muscle atrophy

If your snake or other herp is exposed to a high level of pyrethrin SEAK VET CARE ASAP. The quicker you flush out the toxins the quicker they return to some sort of normal.

Snakes may still eat but beware they can have issues swallowing so use MUCH smaller prey than normal, wet it and offer it on tongs. Be warned: they may strike but if not careful will miss the rat and slam into the viv. Try and feed in an open room to avoid further trauma.

My boa was boarded and their level of use was MUCH higher than prevent a mite- which is only a 0.50%. Their home maid mix was over 6%- it doesnt sound like a lot but just look at my snake. She may never fully recover but as long as she stays on fluids we are hopeful we can right her back to "normal". PLEASE be aware and read the directions and follow them to a T. Make sure their water bowls NEVER come in contact with the stuff. I had to learn from a former emploid member of the boarding shop that they dont even remove water bowls when they treat. This is probably why she was more effected because at the time she was in shed and sitting in the water dish a lot more.

If left untreated it can and WILL cause the death of your animal. DONT TAKE CHANCES, its a great thing- pyrethrin- BUT IT IS TOXIC so be careful!

My boa last night lost her fight. I did everything I could to save her and couldnt. So please. Read the directions, dilute, and be careful. Please no one go through the heart break ive been through. She died as a result of complications that stemmed from the toxins.

Here is her sickness from noticing it till the end: http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-new-post.html
Here is her tribute:
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/boa-c...-new-post.html

She was my classy lady. She was so sweet and I will really, dearly, miss her.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
MontyLeos
*hugs* I dont know you. You dont know me. Ive never had a reptile die (since i just got my first one recently), so i cant understand how you feel complelty.....but im really sorry she died. Ill be careful if i need to use it, and i hope you feel better.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Helenthereef
I've had snakes die and it's horrible to watch and know you can do nothing.

Just watched your video and I can see why you were so distressed. I've never seen anything like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCMD...ature=youtu.be

You obviously did everything you could, and have done us all a service by sharing the lesson.

So sorry to hear she lost the battle.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
dinosaurdammit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLeos View Post
*hugs* I dont know you. You dont know me. Ive never had a reptile die (since i just got my first one recently), so i cant understand how you feel complelty.....but im really sorry she died. Ill be careful if i need to use it, and i hope you feel better.
thanks i appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I've had snakes die and it's horrible to watch and know you can do nothing.

Just watched your video and I can see why you were so distressed. I've never seen anything like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCMD...ature=youtu.be

You obviously did everything you could, and have done us all a service by sharing the lesson.

So sorry to hear she lost the battle.
It was horrible to watch her go down hill, i had so much hope she was getting better but alas no. Complications took hold. I would advise that anyone who has this happen also with fluids give your snake a round of antibiotics. Their gi tract will get bacteria in it that grow wild. Had I known that sooner she might have been saved.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Good advice, the best is the hardest learned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!