Feathery regurgitation anyone? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Feathery regurgitation anyone?

Anyone out there feeding birds to snakes?

I feed week-old chicks to my Fiji boas (Candoia bibroni bibroni), and have just witnessed one of them regurgitating a pellet of feathers and tiny bones. I have always found these pellets but had presumed they were deposited (ahem) from the other end. I've only just woken up to the fact that they are regurgitated and not faeces.

I know not many of you feed your snakes with birds, but does anyone have any experience with this? My snakes are healthy and have been doing this for years, and as far as I know they all do it, it's just that I saw it actually happening for the first time this week.

Pics below are three of my snakes eating their chicks, and one of a regurgitated feather pellet. These guys think they are owls!

Any experiences or comments welcome.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
XxBLUExX
That's really neat!
I've never even heard about this before,
I just feed my snakes the usual old gourmet rodent and well, I'm sure you know where thats deposited from lol.
Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
XxBLUExX
Beautiful owlish boas btw! ^_^

Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Thanks - these Fiji Boas are mostly arboreal, and birds are definitely part of their normal diet in the wild.

Apparently many boas like birds, but rodents have more meat on them and so will grow your snake faster. We don't have pet stores here that stock rodents, so I get the male chicks from the chicken farms when they hatch, (they only want the laying females) rear them for a week, and off we go.

I have heard that many boa owners avoid giving their snakes birds because they like them so much it's hard to get them back onto mice etc. I've heard chicks described as "snake crack", and mine do seem pretty eager for their fixes!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
XxBLUExX
xD snake crack.
Well, I'd sure take chicken over a rat!
Lol
Cool thread, love learning new things :3

Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
Helenthereef
I've had these snakes over 7 years and only just found this regurgitation thing out - so there are ALWAYS new things to learn!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
XxBLUExX
Definitely!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea they would do that. I've never fed my boas birds, mostly for lack of availability and the reason I always heard not to do it was because they leave really stinky nasty poops. Anyways, it reminds me of the egg eating snakes, they regurgitate the shells after swallowing the eggs. Neat stuff!

Old 01-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
the reason I always heard not to do it was because they leave really stinky nasty poops.
'Tis true that if you use day old chicks the poop is VILE - they are mostly still egg yolk I guess

If you feed the chicks up for a week it's much better, but I also supplement with adult chicken wing portions to add a bit more solid muscle and skin to the mix, and so now the poop seems equivalent to what you'd get with rats or mice.

What a lovely topic this is.....

Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Snake-Queen
Helen, do they regurge the bigger bones as well?

I got a python that had been fed whole chickens, the feathers came out with the feces.

The smell was so horrible, that I have been very reluctant to feed chicken to any of my boas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!