Breeding Kenyans.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
raiquee
Breeding Kenyans..

Can anyone forward me to a good site regarding kenyan sand boa breeding, or answer the following questions for me? It would be a ton of help!

Should i cool the kenyans before putting them together? I have heard yes, and i have heard you don't need too. I noticed my female (who is of breeding weight) has swelling on her lower 2/3 (or she is just very very chunky) How long should i keep the male and female together? Should i cease feeding? Should i cool and not feed (which would be usually what you do when you cool, XD), just cease feeding, don't do either? What do you guys do?

How long does she stay pregnant before having her litter of small worms?

Should i skip a year of breeding or just a season if she can gain her weight back?

Thanks so much for all your answers and time

Old 10-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Sand&SunReptile
She sounds gravid.
I'd leave them together until you are 100% positive that she is gravid. Dont stop feeding now, or cool until you know if she is gravid or not.
If you notice her go off feed, she is probably close to giving birth, thats when the male should be removed.
Hope this answers your questions, let me know if you have any others.

Old 10-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
raiquee
Well, shes not with a male now, so how can she be gravid?

I wanted to put a male in with her, but she is alone right now. Should i cool here before putting the male in with here? Or do kenyan's breed without cooling?

Thanks

Old 10-30-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
If she has a swelling now and the male isn't w/her, she is probably ovulating. You need to get that male in w/her now. When they ovulate, it looks like they have just ate a pretty large meal.

Karen

Old 10-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Forgot about the feeding part. My female ate a small mouse the day before she had 6 babies. I would offer her food on a regular basis. I feed mine every week. My male goes off feed a lot but the female very rarely skips a meal.

I don't cool mine but my room temp does fluctuate on it's own with the outside weather so that may play a part in it.

I separate the male and female after they have been together about a week. Then a week later I put the male in again for about a week. Then I take him out.

Karen

Old 10-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
I would go along with everything Karen said.
I thought you had a male with her now. Karen pretty much covered the whole breeding schedule though.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
raiquee
I put the male in with her today. He is a tiny one, probably only a foot or so. Does the males size matter? Also, he is going into a shed, dull as heck. Will that matter for anything?

When should i look for babies? Karen, after you put the male in with your female, -about- how long before the babies were born? I just want an estimate

Thanks for your info

Old 10-31-2004, 09:11 AM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
Once she actually taken to breeding, it should only be about 3-5months.
The male sounds about big enough to breed. Males usually breed at 12-14 inches.
Good luck, and no the shedding wont affect him. When he finishes the shed, you'll notice him more active, and interested in breeding.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
raiquee
How, on average, many is in a litter for kenyans? I heard around 6..is that really all? :3

Do you breed your female every year or every other year?

How do you ship your snakes? Do you use Fed Ex or another company? If you ship with Fed Ex, how do i go about getting approved for shipping snakes via Fed Ex?

Thanks? :3

Old 11-03-2004, 07:02 AM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
I know there's a thread somewhere around here about getting shipping approved for reptiles through FedEx.
Your female hasn't been bred before, so don't be disappointed with just a few live young.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!