Help as soon as possible is my snake sick?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
neocatlove
Unhappy Help as soon as possible is my snake sick??

okay so i have had my ball python since early September so almost two months
she was fine when i first got her she ate about a week after getting her and it took maybe around a hour because i tried she was un interested and then i left it for about an hour tried again and then she ate within about five mins
she hasn't eaten since...
i have tried countless times during this time and waiting a proper amount of time before trying again
me and her are pretty well bonded she loves faces of nice people so she loves mine no i don't let her get near my face or neck
i don't hold her everyday there are times i do but it isn't often
the reason i am posting is A. she isn't eating B. she started making weird breathing noises? (it sounds like she is shooting air out of her nose not really like a sneeze) C. she only today flipped was looked like she was sleeping then went crazy and started rubbing half of her face on the bedding and then a little on the glass wall D. I picked her up (I let her get out a little to make sure she wants to come out if she doesn't try to escape i won't force her or wake her up unless my dad forces me to he doesn't listen to me so i don't have a choice only happened once) and she has some flaky bits on her nose area which i am wondering is she okay? I don't want to pry open her mouth if i don't absolutely have to i don't want her hating me.
I think it could be shed but the only thing I see that is "shedish' about her is the top of her head is kind of grey but that might be from lack of humidity which i need help with i know this is probably bad but i pour 'rain' into her tank (safe water i promise) and then let the heating lamp make humanity from that
but the top of the tank is just wire nothing to hold humanity so if anyone had nay recommendations on ANYTHING PLEASE POST IT!!!! I am so worried for her I know them not eating is normal but this is worrying me
i am getting new bedding tomorrow and doing a full deep clean (tips would be greatly appreciated) and i try to pour water into her tank and change her water once everyday again PLEASE help if you have ANY clue whats wrong with her
 
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
bcr229
It definitely sounds like she is popping a shed.

Since you are having problems maintaining humidity in a tank with a heat lamp, which is not unusual, I would suggest switching over to a tub with an under-tank heater that is regulated by a thermostat, or to a proper PVC reptile enclosure. Fish tanks are great for fish or species that don't need to have high humidity, not so much for snakes that need to stay warm and humid.
 
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
WebSlave
If you have any doubts whatsoever about the health of an animal entrusted in your care, I would strongly suggest that you consider taking it to a veterinarian to have it looked at ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry and inadvertently let things get bad in a hurry if you have a real problem developing.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #4
neocatlove
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
It definitely sounds like she is popping a shed.

Since you are having problems maintaining humidity in a tank with a heat lamp, which is not unusual, I would suggest switching over to a tub with an under-tank heater that is regulated by a thermostat, or to a proper PVC reptile enclosure. Fish tanks are great for fish or species that don't need to have high humidity, not so much for snakes that need to stay warm and humid.
I have a undertake heating pad and she hates it
she never goes into her hide when i turn it on so i turned it off and she started using it again and this tank is a tank i bought that is a part of a snake kit
 
Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
neocatlove
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
If you have any doubts whatsoever about the health of an animal entrusted in your care, I would strongly suggest that you consider taking it to a veterinarian to have it looked at ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry and inadvertently let things get bad in a hurry if you have a real problem developing.
my parents will only help me with that is they think she is going to die
 
Old 11-07-2017, 02:09 AM   #6
neocatlove
also thank you yeah her eyes are getting more and more foggy but i am going to google how long it takes for her to shed
 
Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocatlove View Post
okay so i have had my ball python since early September so almost two months
she was fine when i first got her she ate about a week after getting her and it took maybe around a hour because i tried she was un interested and then i left it for about an hour tried again and then she ate within about five mins
she hasn't eaten since...
i have tried countless times during this time and waiting a proper amount of time before trying again
Where did you get the BP from? Do you know what it was eating before you got it? If it was eating mice, have you tried rats/vice versa? What are you/have you tried feeding it?

Quote:
me and her are pretty well bonded she loves faces of nice people so she loves mine
I'm really sorry, but it's a snake. She's at most curious. They don't have the capacity to "love".

Quote:
the reason i am posting is A. she isn't eating B. she started making weird breathing noises? (it sounds like she is shooting air out of her nose not really like a sneeze) C. she only today flipped was looked like she was sleeping then went crazy and started rubbing half of her face on the bedding and then a little on the glass wall D. I picked her up (I let her get out a little to make sure she wants to come out if she doesn't try to escape i won't force her or wake her up unless my dad forces me to he doesn't listen to me so i don't have a choice only happened once) and she has some flaky bits on her nose area which i am wondering is she okay?
A. Snakes for the most part, won't eat in shed. It's about 50/50 on them eating in shed or not.

B. When in shed, they'll sound weird while breathing.

C. Sounds like She's trying to shed. Are you using a thermostat? Are your temps alright? correct humidity and temp are required for them to shed.

D. That might be from the wire top on your fish tank. If she's rubbing on it, it could possibly be messed up from the wire.

Quote:
I don't want to pry open her mouth if i don't absolutely have to i don't want her hating me.
I wouldn't recommend this.

Quote:
I think it could be shed but the only thing I see that is "shedish' about her is the top of her head is kind of grey but that might be from lack of humidity which i need help with i know this is probably bad but i pour 'rain' into her tank (safe water i promise) and then let the heating lamp make humanity from that
but the top of the tank is just wire nothing to hold humanity so if anyone had nay recommendations on ANYTHING PLEASE POST IT!!!!
The best thing, is to honestly get rid of your glass tank. "standard" is to put them in shoe box tubs(sterilite 1753, and the like), in a rack, but you can still put her in a shoe box on top of a heat strip(flexwatt, etc) and make sure temps/humidity are still ok.

Quote:
I am so worried for her I know them not eating is normal but this is worrying me
i am getting new bedding tomorrow and doing a full deep clean (tips would be greatly appreciated) and i try to pour water into her tank and change her water once everyday again PLEASE help if you have ANY clue whats wrong with her
Pics would actually be super helpful.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocatlove View Post
I have a undertake heating pad and she hates it
she never goes into her hide when i turn it on so i turned it off and she started using it again and this tank is a tank i bought that is a part of a snake kit
I am 99.9999% certain that those snake kits do not come with a thermostat to regulate the heat pad and prevent it from getting hot enough to burn your snake.

Get a thermostat so your heat pad doesn't overheat. A vet bill for a burned snake is 2-3 times the cost of a thermostat.
 
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
neocatlove
Reply to all y'all

So her humidity is bad and I know that and she did shed and it was a really bad shed she did it and it looked like shredded cheese
but i have cypress bedding and two bowls of water and used to have 2 hides but they of course got moldy from me putting water in her tank to up humidity but nothing i do works except for turning off the lamp but when i do that she gets too cold
 
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
neocatlove
she doesn't use the heating pad for reasons unknown but it doesn't get very warm at all
i put my hand up to it and it is about as warm as when you sit down on a chair for a while and then get up and it did come with a thermostat
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Tags
ball python, illness

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JOEL2006 - Sick Snake nvterrapene Board of Inquiry® 36 02-06-2017 05:12 PM
sick snake???? Cote1 Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues 5 05-14-2013 04:31 PM
Help! Possible sick snake! PlatinumRosePythons Ball Pythons Discussion Forum 7 01-11-2013 07:18 AM
Sick snake? ferr3snakes Other Snakes Discussion Forum 0 01-08-2008 11:45 PM
Sick Snake fender7819 Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum 5 12-09-2004 01:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.




Ebates Coupons and Cash Back



TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.06432605 seconds with 11 queries
Content copyrighted ©2002-2014, FaunaClassifieds, LLC