Chinese coronavirus - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 01-26-2020, 05:08 PM   #41
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Speaking from personal experience, I believe this kind of infection will be spread fairly easily via the public school system. States pay school systems based on daily attendance, not by the number of students enrolled. Many school systems use incentives such as prizes, ice cream parties, and the like to encourage perfect attendance in order to boost the funding they receive, and they sometimes use peer pressure by penalizing the entire class if one student is absent.

When you couple the incentive for showing up in class, with some little kid's idea of wiping his nose if a kleenex is not actually in his hand at that moment, which is to wipe the snot off his face with the back of his hand and then wipe his hand on the desk top, it wouldn't take long for a community to become ill.
Yeah, little doubt about that. In second place behind the mosquito, I think the school system is about the most effective disease vector system known to man. Seems like if one child gets sick, then every other person in his or her class gets sick too. Which, of course, they bring back to their all other family members in the household. One of the first steps government should do with a potential pandemic is to just close the schools. All of them, indefinitely. Then close all of the Walmarts.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #42
WebSlave
More depressing news...

https://www.infowars.com/5-million-p...missable-form/

Old 01-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #43
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Then close all of the Walmarts.
I think, illness aside, that it is only a matter of time before that happens anyway, and most purchases will be made online and delivered. I already buy some groceries from Walmart and get them delivered and with a few exceptions all my grocery buying from several different stores has gone well.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #44
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think, illness aside, that it is only a matter of time before that happens anyway, and most purchases will be made online and delivered. I already buy some groceries from Walmart and get them delivered and with a few exceptions all my grocery buying from several different stores has gone well.
I'm guessing this could go WAY off topic, but I couldn't imagine buying our groceries sight unseen. Not unless it was just boxed goods. Not even canned goods. If a can has a dent in it, Connie will reject it. When we buy potato chips, some bags just sound better than others when shaken. I may want potato chips but I really don't want CHIPS.

When picking out meats, I inspect as a surgeon would my next patient. As lean as possible with little to no fat and gristle. Fruits and vegetables get nearly microscopically inspected. I REALLY hate it when the people at the grocery stores mixed old grapes with new ones in the same bag. One grape squashed on the bottom of a little bit of mold on one? REJECT!! And Connie will go though nearly every tomato in the store to find the few she wants.

And eggs? Connie inspects each and every one of them individually. So to expect someone else to go through all of that, or more likely just receive items that we would reject as being unacceptable, really would be a waste of time and effort for everyone. We really are VERY picky about such things.

So this is something we would find extremely difficult to accept. I guess things could change if the health of both of us took a nasty downturn and we had no other choice, though.

Yeah, would be nice to not have to mingle with a bunch of people snorting and coughing in the aisles, but what about the person picking out the groceries? Are they sniffling and coughing? Licking their fingers so they can open up those plastic bags?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #45
Lucille
From my experience so far, the stores I have stuff delivered from (Walmart and Costco) go out of their way to deliver the best. And if there is any complaint at all, they will refund without a quibble. It does sound like Connie has higher standards, I confess to not checking every single egg because I buy them in closed boxes of 60, and I've never shaken a chip bag, but I want my fruit perfect and it is.

Of course my situation is different from yours, I no longer drive for health and safety reasons. And to complicate matters, the recent articles about Lyft assaults, even though the % is small, has me more apprehensive about Lyft now.

My son and his family will be visiting from Washington soon, his wife's close friend is due to have a baby in Houston next week. He and his wife have taken the time from the time she could walk to teach my grand baby to wash her hands both at home and in public places like restaurants and airports, hopefully no coronaviruses will take the trip with them to Texas.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #46
JColt
Just found out today that wifes cousin passed. He had the flu but also a heavy drinker. He was only 4 years younger than me.

I only met him once for 3 days at a family get together on a lake in Northern Indiana. By second day I had to tell him to stay away from me. It almost turned into a fight but my size made him back off even in his drunken state.

I always felt bad about it but I can not handle inebriated people. It sets me off quickly. Sorry he never recovered. That was 30 plus years ago.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:28 AM   #47
WebSlave
Site worth bookmarking -> https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...navirus-cases/

Old 01-28-2020, 01:53 AM   #48
WebSlave
BTW, if anyone gets the idea to start wearing a mask, it probably isn't going to help. Found this quote about the size of the virus in relation to what passes through masks.
Quote:
Corona viruses are very small. 0.12 microns, N95 masks are not effective as they can filter particles larger than 0.3 microns. nCoV-19 goes straight through all the commercially available masks.
Accuracy is not verified, however.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #49
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
BTW, if anyone gets the idea to start wearing a mask, it probably isn't going to help. Found this quote about the size of the virus in relation to what passes through masks.

Accuracy is not verified, however.
I noticed something similar; we were moving my mom's cousin from one assisted-living facility to another. There was an influenza outbreak, and they were asking everyone coming into the facility, to wear a disposable mask.

I was reading the box information, then looked up the size of flu viruses - they could easily get through the material of the masks. Another false sense of security.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #50
bcr229
Virii aren't airborn in and of themselves. They travel via vapor droplets, dust particles, etc. and the masks can filter those.

You can also pick them up by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. A mask will help prevent that contact.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!