Is compost beneficial for turtle and tortoise pens? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
JGARR
Is compost beneficial for turtle and tortoise pens?

Hello to everyone I had read some where keeping compost in in a box turtle pen is beneficial apperantly it attracts insects and worms for the turtles as well as creating a weak supplement heat source....is this true?? does anyone have expeirence placing a small compost heap in their box turtle pens? also I found a yellow foot tortoise on the road street red hill near a millitary base those who live in CA probably know what I am talking about well at any rate I honestly did not know it was a yellow foot at first but petstore confirmed it (prehistoric pets)... its now been a year and a half no one claimed her most likely was turned loose and she or he is quite personable and I kept her in the garage during the winter in quad plant pot meassuring 4 X 5 ft with mercury uv heat lamp and it worked but im wondering and I heard its possible to keep them outside with a strong heat source at night and day and during winter here In CA ive heard of using a plastic dog house with a pig blanket or heat lamp how do I do this? without creating a fire hazard id like to keep her outside she seems much more happier outside instead of inside the garage and the enclosure is taking to much space from my dads garage.... if not most likely this tort might be traded for more boxies from prehistoric pets or just given to a good home I really wish I could keep her... and would someone please clarify this for me can all north american boxies be kept together in a very large pen... I have a pen that is a semicircle more than 24 ft in its half circumfrence and about 9-10 ft in diameter I can make it bigger If I have to though.. and by all boxies I mean ornates easterns gulf coast and 3 toeds, many have told me you can and I have seen it done so what would I have to do to be successful.. all have said to expect hybrids if I do house them together ive also been told those are fertile too I really still dont know what to make of that...hope anyone can help and sory for asking so many things and possibly stupid questions
many thanks,
Jose Gallegos

Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
kyleMiller
SO you have a lot of boxies all different kinds. YOu can house all boxies together except asians and other out of america one. Also you have a yellow foot tort. I think you can keep them out in the wintr they hibernate dont they. Or you can make a shed with a heater in it. If you are going to give away your tort i would be glad to adopt it i have red foots and they do fine down in SO. CAL. well ill try and look more stuff up and if i find anything i will tell you.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
JGARR
yellow foots are from south america and the largest tortoise in that region they cant hibernate im doing my best to keep this tortoise though I really like her/he is very curious and friendly but I dont want to her to perish due to any of my mistakes so me and my dad are thinking of good ways to accomedate good temps during the winter outside and no I dont have alot of boxies (yet) I only have 2 easterns but I like the other species gulf coast 3 toeds im so so on ornates only because ive heard bad things about them and adapting to captive life but some people have told they are just as easy to care for outside as the other species.. even still its hard to believe so much but if anyone including yourself can tell me otherwise I would love to own a pair of ornates as well
well thanks for your help
Jose

Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
kyleMiller
No problem. Yeah box turtles can live outside year round. Also about the tortoise i just cam across something about a shed as a warm spot. I had directions how to build it and it had pics. I will find it again and show you the link. I also have box turtles i have 2 baby 3-toed and adult. I am getting some more i thing they are the best. I might get a wood turtle and ornates.(They all can live together.) Well ill post that site later tonite. Talk to you late. By the way what part of Cali.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
JGARR
hhmm hope you can help like Ive said I realy would like to keep her and what of the compost? I actually have a person who might take her if all fails...but I would like to make a good trade though mainly because she has grown on me I live in the border lines of irvine and tustin very close to the tustin marketplace

Old 06-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #6
kyleMiller
Oh i live in ventura county. I know a breeder up in ollwood where i got my 2 babies for free. They are cute. Well i looked and found a site it is a shed they built for a sulcata but you can build a very simular shed. Ill try and find another easier one but heres this one for now.

http://www.sulcstatn.addr.com/shed1.html

Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
JGARR
WOW the idea is definately in the right place! ok I like the shed Idea but that is much to expensive and big for us so Im going to try a dogloo one big enough for a 28in yellow foot (I really dont think she will get that big but you never know....) those heat pads though I am not familair with them so it will definately take some experimenting apperantly the dog house must be elevated so the pads dont get water damaged.... but this looks like it might work using a heatlamp just seems more dangerous and less effective well Il let you know what im gonna do! thanks for pointing me in a better direction and by the way please id like some advice on compost I think Id maintain a bit just for raising earthworms box turtles love em any way
thanks I appreciate your help,
Jose Gallegos

Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #8
kyleMiller
Well i cant find any more different sheds but that one got you some ideas. Well you a want to know how to raise worms well that is hard i dont do that but i did see a other site on that ill try and find it. I was going to try it but never did i might start. Also that shed you can make a smaller type buy using a 50 gallon rubermaid or a dog house. The heat pad idea sounds good. By the way how big is your tort. for your boxies you can make a humidity box which helps a lot when trying to keep humidity up. I made one for my boxies they love it. Well ill look for that site. Keep me posted on things also i will be glad to help you with any thing you need just ask.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
kyleMiller
So how is it going with your shed. My friend gave me a red foot today and im thinking of building a shed to. How are you going to keep the heat u and stuff. Also on a regular summer day how cold does it get at night.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
JGARR
Its certainly has been a while but well finally the weather has gotten better here!!! my tortoise and turtles are roaming grazing and hunting as well and designating an enclosure soley for the tortoise (right now she is living with the boxies temporarily they are all clean by the vet so I dont have to worry about spreading stuff from them or her) but im still working on the torts enclosure im thinking of knocking off some ficuses trees mainly becuase they are toxic to eat but would that be nescesary? the location is great but the trees might be an issue and Im buying a large storage container by rubbermaid off home depot large enough for an adult yellow foot to turn around and im gonna elevate it off the ground to prevent any water damage im thinking maybe a kane heat mat might heat it well in the winter I wonder if I should put a pane of glass over it to prevent it from getting punctured well so far so good
let me know how far your getting,
Jose

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!