Need some tips with these fuzzballs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
SPJ
Need some tips with these fuzzballs

A local petstore that is going out of business sold the mother hamster not realizing (or caring) that she had babies that were not weaned yet. So now they have a surrogate hamster parent to hopefully give these little ones a chance at life.
So far I have been syringe feeding them every 4 hours with Isomil and placing milk soaked bread in the box for them to nibble on.
I am using shredded TP for bedding (easy to replace constantly and soft for them to burrow in).
I estimate these to be between 8 and 12 days old. They have their fur but their eyes are not open yet.
Any tips on what else to do to help these little ones out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (13.9 KB, 61 views)

Old 02-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
techgirl
you could try kitten milk replacement or esbilac(puppy milk replacement) in lieu of isomil. are they going to the bathroom on their own? if not you could stimulate them with a warm washcloth. hope that helps some. good luck and let me know how they turn out

Old 02-19-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
Cat_72
Awwww........poor widdle guys!!!!

I guess I don't have any experience taking care of little hamsters that young, but I do know when bottle raising bunnies from only a couple days old, I have used kitten formula with good success. You can actually purchase the KMR at Walmart.

It's an awesome thing to see you taking so much time to care for these poor little critters.....

Old 02-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
SPJ
They are now eating milk soaked bread AND climbing out of the container I had them in. I had to move them to a deeper cage. Their eyes are not open yet but they appear to be getting stronger and bulkier.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
SPJ
Oh. No more emails about wasting my time with feeders please.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Lucille
When it is time to think about weaning perhaps you could put some hamster chow in a blender with Isomil and made a sort of a thin cereal that could be syringe fed?

Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
Cat_72
Wow, that's really neat Steve!! If they've made it this long, I think you have it made! I have to say, I wasn't sure how much of a chance they had at that young of an age....knew you couldn't find a "bottle" that small, lol.

I bet they are awful cute lil buggers.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
SPJ
I have several size syringes that I have never used (wife works at a hospital LOL) and I had extras in all different sizes from giving meds to import snakes and I also use a fine needle one to inject calcium into Aptasia anemones in my reef tank to kill them (nasty prolific things that spread and kill corals).

Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
techgirl
i'm glad that they're doing so well. looks like some names are going to be given to those cuties.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!