I just don't get it???????????????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
DAND
Question I just don't get it????????????????

What is the deal with the prices of the latest hybridization of dog breeds? I've heard them called "designer dogs". It sounds like a fancy name for a mutt.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Lucille
All I can say (and it is not an original quote) is there's a sucker born every minute.
With purebred prices from $200 to $2000 or so per puppy depending on pedigree and health and conformation and so on, it's hard to believe someone would shell out from $200 to $2,000 for a mixed breed 'designer dog' when there are so many beautiful mixed breed dogs avaiable at the pound or from rescues for fifty bucks..
By law in many states including Texas an adopted pound puppy must be spayed/neutered and many shelters give shots and heartworm tests as well so you are getting an unbeatable value.
I got my possible mix, duck tolling retriever a while back from a lady who does rescue work. Cost me $25. No thousand dollar mixes for me.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Cat_72
That's a REAL sore spot with me, David. People claim that they are "giving you the best of both breeds" when purposely producing these mutts.....what they don't realize, is that A) They are also giving you the WORST of both breeds, and B) Who knows what genetic problems this could bring about down the line? Crossing Poodles, a breed basically free of hip dysplasia, and Labrador Retrievers, a breed plagued by hip dysplasia....? I actually saw one ad saying that by crossing labs and poodles (labradoodles) they could guarantee the pups couldn't be dysplastic because poodles "couldn't get it". I could go on for hours......but it all comes down to someone without any knowledge looking to make a quick buck.

As Lucille said......there are soooooooo many "mutts" dying in shelters every day....why purposely create more?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
I agree with people just do not understand breeding when they do these things, after breeding Rotties for several years, there is a lot more to it even in purebreds than throwing 2 "cute" dogs in a fence and let them go at it.

I would not pay good money for a purposely bred mix, they are too many beautiful pets put down every year all over the country that I can go and rescue for little to no money. Our pound does all of the shots, the spay/nueter and 3 months of that pet insurance for $100. If they get the animal already altered all you pay is $25 for the shots and insurance.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
coyote
Well, there are obviously enough idiots with more money than sense that buy into the hype to make it profitable. That's just capitalism in action.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Well, there are obviously enough idiots with more money than sense that buy into the hype to make it profitable. That's just capitalism in action.

The problem is idiocy seems to be spreading faster than Bird Flu and SARS combined.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
CruWozo
Hello,'
I am new in this forum and I am having a rather difficult time finding the gecko forum. I have a question and I do not know where to thread so I came here. Please help me. Thank you-

CruWozo

Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Here you go Stephanie...

General Gecko
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=93

Leopard Gecko
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=149

On the MUTTS being bred & sold for high prices...I whole heartedly agree with everyone. It's a mutt, PERIOD.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
CruWozo
Red face Thank you

I appreciate your help. I hope I won't get lost again. It will take a while to get use to. Thanks

Stephanie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!