Discussion on Puggle Pups 500.00 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
dragonflyreptiles
Discussion on Puggle Pup Ad

Moved here so as not to distract from the ad in the classifieds.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #12
agilwn
That's one of the many problems with these mixed breed "designer dogs". They can be called many different names, and are often prone to every genetic disease that is carried in the parents' breeds.

Any dog that is bred should have it's hips and eyes certified, and many breeds should have their elbows and knees done as well. It is not something that normal vets are capable of doing- you need to go to a clinic or find a vet with the certification to check those individually. They will give you a paper stating that they are clean and you will have to send off to have it properly recorded. No purebred dog except the true rare breeds are worth more than $200-300 without the parents being certified, registered, AND show quality.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
old guy
I don't agree on one thing

" SHOW QUALITY " is something totally different from pet quality and could cost hundreds to thousands to acquire in registered breeds. Not everyone wants a show quality breed. I know I don't and didn't because of up-keep. Now pet quality can be vague in terms. My several import German Rotties were from show quality parents in not only bloodlines but other. But does this make a better breed ? Not necessarily. Since I had no plans of showing parents or off springs, I paid considerably less for my breeds and sold offspring's as GOOD, registered, still strong bloodline of traceable linage dogs. I would of had a VERY hard time to sell them as show quality because of factors where I lived and competition of non-registered rotties floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilwn
That's one of the many problems with these mixed breed "designer dogs". They can be called many different names, and are often prone to every genetic disease that is carried in the parents' breeds.

Any dog that is bred should have it's hips and eyes certified, and many breeds should have their elbows and knees done as well. It is not something that normal vets are capable of doing- you need to go to a clinic or find a vet with the certification to check those individually. They will give you a paper stating that they are clean and you will have to send off to have it properly recorded. No purebred dog except the true rare breeds are worth more than $200-300 without the parents being certified, registered, AND show quality.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
Cat_72
Mike, I think that the point you made was "basically" the same as what Ashley said.....she said that the high prices aren't fitting unless the animal is show quality. And I agree with you absolutely, not everyone wants a show-quality dog. And if these pups' parents have not had any kind of testing done on them, and the "breeder" has no idea how these pups will develop as they grow, or what kind of genetic issues are behind the parents, there is absolutely no justification for the high price tag.

There are certain breeds that aren't "rare" that I can very well understand a higher price on, simply because of the time and expense involved in even producing healthy, genetically sound puppies. English Bulldogs, for example.....AI is pretty much a given to breed your female, as is a c-section to give birth, all expensive procedures (unless you can do the AI yourself, but most don't). Not forgetting all of the genetic and structural testing good breeders will put into their breeding stock, you would indeed be losing money if you sold those pups for $200, more than likely. But to sell a litter of untested mutts with no idea how they will mature? The Beagle's lineage isn't even traceable. Just because they are cute and the new "in thing" doesn't make them worth a $500 price tag. No way. There's a whole lot of adorable mutts already on death row at the shelters that can fill that spot. And they have a lot more to lose.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Lucille
I agree with Cathy. My $25 rescue possibly mixed Duck Tolling Retriever is doing great. (The $25 was only requested to offset the cost of the shots the rescuer got for him).
I think if you want a mixed breed, go to the pound. (In fact there are many purebreds there too).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!