Desert Spiny Diet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
aliceinwl
Desert Spiny Diet

I've got a new desert spiny. It came from the dairy at the Lompoc penitentiary. This is considerably out of range (the prison is in coastal central California). The dairy has a truck that delivers milk to Arizona, and the only explanation of her appearance (she's a full size adult) that I can think of is that she some how got on board and hitched a ride back. I'm well versed in spiny lizard care (caging, temps etc), but I know that they are reputed to take some vegtable matter. If anyone keeps these, how much if any plant material do they take, and if they take veggies, what are their favorites?

-Alice

Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
willows chelle
i think they eat ants.
but i could be wrong.
and i think its illegal to keep them.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by willows chelle
i think they eat ants.
but i could be wrong.
and i think its illegal to keep them.
I think that you have my guy confused with horned lizards (Phrynosoma spp.). You can have keep horned lizards in California, but only the desert (P. platyrhinos) and short-horned (P. douglassii) species; horned lizards do require a diet consisting predominantly of ants. The lizard I have is a desert spiny lizard, Sceloporus magister. In California, you are allowed to have two of each of the above species in your possession at a time. Spiny lizards typically take a wide variety of insect prey and some are also reputed to take some plant material.

-Alice

Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
willows chelle
ooops!

sorry i confused them.

i would still guess ants for the diet though, i wonder why someone more knowledgeable hasnt posted anything?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!