Chameleon Counters - Extremely Dangerous Bad Guys - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #21
Corey Sawyer
Yes i do ship non HOT and non dangerous reptiles with fed-ex, and I do have a written letter giving me permission to do so.

I ship hots with Delta and United airlines, and sometimes cathay pacific airlines. No ifs, ans or buts.

I do not think I was over reacting, this person wanted to ship gaboon vipers via fedex. Wat if I had not brought this up, he sent some a gaboon viper using fedex, even if double bagged, and fedex opened the box, and someone was killed. Does not matter how unlikely this is, it could hapen.

It is a crime to ship hots with fedex.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #22
Blackwater Reptiles
Is it?

My last comment was not a criticism of your shipping practices. It was an observation.

My question is...... is it REALLY a CRIME to ship venomous through FedEx??? If they will accept live animals, and you and I both know they will..... is it ILLEGAL for a person to ship (properly packaged) venomous animals through FedEx???

I never asked them, so I do not know the answer.

I'm not talking about two bags in a styro... I'm talking about an IATA approved shipping container......

I wish we could be having this discussion in person because you would know that I am NOT trying to provoke you. I am trying to find the truth about the legalities of shipping..... Is it such a stretch that it is possible that it is not illegal to ship venomous by FedEx....??

You keep saying it is a crime. I keep saying I don't know. I would like a little proof, that's all. I've been too busy to call for the past week or so, but I will find out.....

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #23
Corey Sawyer
According to a representative at the Portland OR USA international airport, FFA says hots must be shipped with an approved carrier, Fed-ex not being one.

Also, if IATA covers domestic shipments (no one including USFWS at the airport could confirm this eitehr way), shipping hots with fedex would be a violation of that as well.

and i am sure there some other ones out there. Public endangerment?

Corey

Old 02-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #24
Blackwater Reptiles
peace

If someone were to ship venomous snakes, or any other "hazardous" material by fraudulent means then I'm sure there is some statute that they could be prosecuted through.

My intent was not to enflame the discussion, but to try to get to the root of the allegation. Is is legal or not ....

I'm confused how Federal Express can be allowed to ship live non-venomous animals if they aren't "approved" carriers...

As to the IATA .... as far as I know, ALL domestic carriers of air cargo use the Internation Air Transport Association guidlines as their "standard" to which all air cargo must be handled/packaged, in order to more or less ensure all shipments meet some measuring stick... again, as far as I know, the choice to adopt the IATA guidelines is voluntary..... I could be wrong, and admit that openly.

To reiterate, this has never been any more or less of an attempt to get to the truth.

I do not believe you are making anything up. I just am not sure that FedEx can be anything other than an approved carrier, based merely on the amount of air cargo they move every day. They don't just ship small parcels, you know? I'm sure FedEx would take an elephant if you wanted to pay to have it shipped **properly** and they more than likely have shipped all manner of livestock, and exotics....

I don't have anything to add, and in the opinion of some, it is likely that I never did.... Your post provoked me to think a little and I tried to capture my thoughts (rationally, I hope) without accusing or insulting.

I wish you the best of success in your business, and perhaps I'll be asking you to FedEx me a parcel in the near future, legally of course :-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!