Ok, I need one now...lol - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Riddick
Talking Ok, I need one now...lol

After hand feeding the little guy that I took from my petstore (he's still in critical condition)
I have decided that if he lives I am keeping him, and if not, I am getting one (NOT from the same pet supplier that put this little guy in the condition he is in)

I researched a ton on umm...deer fern farms? I think it was called, I just wanna make sure all my info is right and I am not missing anything

Basking Temp: 110-120 F Do I use a red bulb? Or is a normal bulb ok? mid 80's on the cool end

Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB I was gonna get the compact flourescent. Is this a good one? I know it has to be changed every 4-6 months (I have a beardie)

Dust greens with Miner-all (already got it) every-other day?

13 hour day, 11 hour night

Juveniles or under 6 in. paper towel or shelf liner as bedding. Adults, high quality bird seed...what kind? Just wild bird seed?

Baby baby, (like 6 in. or less) 10 gallon? Or 20 long? (I have both)
Stuff I plan to put in tank: log to get close to UVB, flat piece of slate, 2 hides, food and water dish, website also reccomended using a background on back and sides. I have a thermo with a probe. I am getting a temp gun.

Food: This is the thing I need the most help with, because I am very anal that what I am feeding my animals is the best stuff, and the right stuff
-Endive
-Pok Choy
-Mustard Greens
-yellow squash
-collards
-mixed veggies only for uro's over 1 year?
-Ground up Mazuri Tortoise to dust greens with
-insects rare occasion

Do I sound like I am on the right track?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Reptileking636
yes

Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
joshdhensley
Easy with the mustard and collard greens. Normal bulb, 10.0 is good(natural sunlight is better of course) and wild bird seed for bedding. Freeze the birdseed for 48 hours first to kill any bugs on it. Deerfernfarms.com is the perfect place for info and purchasing. I have bought several from him! Good luck!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
non-prophet
Add to the above

20 gal long. Reptisun10.0 tube or compact fluorescent, or the compact fluorescent Arcadia 7.0 and a heat lamp to get the temps up to 115-130 f.

The rest of your cage setup looks great. If the little guy is less than 6" long you might wanna keep him on newspaper, or paper towels. Change them every day, no exceptions.

In my opinion, his diet should consist of 2 of the following:
Bok Choy
Napa Cabbage (only napa never feed any other cabbage)
Endive
Escarole

And/or Fancy mixed Greens, most of these will have a little purple cabbage in them that will have to be removed.

Definitely "Dust" the greens with a little Mazuri, when you aren't using Miner-All.

Add to that a little bit of shredded carrots, yellow squash or zucchini, or a bit of apple.

Peas, corn, soy beans, etc... heat them up in water and remove the skins, only serve the "meat". You can add this to their greens 1 to 2 times a week in small amounts and make sure they are dusted with Miner-all. When they get older you can serve them whole.

I personally have only fed Large mealworms to my breeder females, both pre and post egg deposit. Other than that they never get any insects. I've heard mixed reviews, so it's your choice.

Lastly, on www.deerfernfarms.com, Douglas has a great list of flowers and wild plants that you can add to their diet, when they are in bloom. The little kids love dandelion blooms and rose petals. Make positively sure that you get them from places that use POSITIVELY NO FERTILIZERS, PESTICIDES, OR HERBICIDES. This could seriously kill your little Uro. He's put together one of the best Uro sites around, and he's got some killer Uro's. I've gotten 6 individual Uro's from him over the years, and everyone has been top notch.

I hope all this info helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!