Are there any stores that carry cold packs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Boid&GeckoFreak
Are there any stores that carry cold packs?

I need a couple cold packs by friday so I can't order them from somewhere. I only need them to last for about 2 hours, will the cold packs they sell to put in first-aid kits work? I have a styrofoam container with a little over a cubic foot of space, the outside temp will be 95-100. Will a cold pack keep the temp inside the container around 75-80 for a couple hours? Thanks for the help. I also posted this on the kingsnake shipping forum, but mine was the first post in a month lol.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
You can go to the local vets and ask for some. Most of the local vets here get shipments of drugs in all the time, packed in nice insulated containers with cold packs. Just refreeze and use. I've thrown out so many I feel guilty, but the vet won't give me just the boxes, she says I gotta take the cold packs too. I give them friends, throw them out, keep a couple in my freezer... check it out.
I think that camping sections of stores, or camping/backpacking stores might also carry them.
Hope you find some.
Wolfy

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Boid&GeckoFreak
How long do they stay cold for? And how effective are they at lowering temps? I'm going to check walmart and a sporting goods store tonight to see if they have any.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Cookiegirl
I work in a grocery store with a pharmacy. They give me their cold packs insulin comes in. I use them to ship my chameleons all the time. You can ask your local pharmacy. They usually throw them out anyway. Wrap newspaper around the cold pack and it will last for express deliverary.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Cat_72
You can just buy either the ones that they make for lunch pails, or the ones in the first aid section of walmart, if you only need them to last a couple of hours, they will do the job just fine. Freeze them, and try them out to see what the temps inside the cooler stay.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Boid&GeckoFreak
Thanks for the help. I'm gonna have to come on here more often, I posted this in 2 forums on kingsnake and I still haven't had any replies. Now I have another problem, the weather changed again and now instead of hot and sunny it might be cold and cloudy lol. So now I might need a heat pack instead. Will the ones they sell as hand warmers last for a couple hours?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
garweft
The ones sold for hand warmers are designed to put out a lot of heat really quick. So you end up cooking the animal for about an hour, then it stops working and the animal freezes. I would only use the 40 hour ones that are sold for the purpose of shipping reptiles. Superiorenterprise.com is a great source for heat packs, but only sell them in packs of 10. Proexotics.com also offers the same heat packs and you can buy them as singles. They also offer a nice shipping package that includes the box, heat pack, and a bag for about 10 bucks here.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Boid&GeckoFreak
It's not for shipping and I need it by tomorrow so I can't order it. I'm going to a show on saturday, but I need to stop at a store on the way back for an hour or so, and I was thinking about putting a snake or two that I might get in a styrofoam cooler with a cold pack in the trunk of my car. I'm probably getting a baby boa, so now that its cool I can just put it in a snake bag and carry it inside in my jacket pocket or something(my jacket has a large pocket on the inside that would work pretty well). I got a couple small cold packs at walmart and I'm going to try them out once they're frozen. I was going to take a heat pack along just in case, but I haven't found any of the 20/40 hr ones at any stores.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Cat_72
As Matt said, those handwarmer heat packs egt REALLY hot for a short while....I don't know that I would trust them not to cook the reptile. I don't think, at least I've never seen, the safer heat packs for sale at any local stores. And even when the temps are cooler, if there is sun, it can get REALLY hot in the trunk of a car in a short time....not just 95-100 degrees.

If you are getting a live animal, they need to be your first priority over "stopping at a store for an hour or so"....why can't you take the animal home and get it set up properly and THEN make that trip to the store?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Boid&GeckoFreak
I've had a digital thermometer that saves the min/max temps in the trunk for for the last 12 days, and I reset the saved temps once a day. It has been sunny and pretty warm for the last 2 weeks, and the temps never went above 102, and were usually about 95, although the passenger area of the car was about 120. I also thought it would be too hot until I checked the temps.
I'm not sure why me doing this for an hour is considered worse than a snake shipped though ups or fedex being tossed around, loaded onto a freezing cargo plane for hours, and then sitting in a hot warehouse before being loaded onto a truck that I'm sure is hotter than my car trunk. At least I know what the temps will be and can use cold packs to keep the temps within a safe range, and as I said it will be for a far shorter time span and with less extreme temps.

As for why I can't take the snake home first, it's a 2 hour drive to the show and the store is a mile away from the show. Which is why the only time I go to this store is when I'm already there for the show. I'll probably end up just taking the snake in with me somehow, but I'd like to have this option just in case. And I'm not going to do anything thats dangerous to the snake, because obviously I'd rather not spend a couple hundred dollars on a snake then have it die before I even get home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!