Question about Pickerel frogs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
addicted
Question about Pickerel frogs

I have two baby pickerel frogs(about under an inch)that i just set up in a woodland type tub with a large pool,i was wondering what i can offer as food.I know the adults take insects and such but i know these guys are too small for crickets and the like.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Jason, they will take small-medium crickets or earthworms. they will try and eat any insect that moves around them. Good Luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
addicted
Thanks Ed,I'll see what i can get them to eat tonight when i get home from work.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
addicted
They ate some small crickets that i dusted,Thanks!

Are these guys alright to keep at room temp?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
ginevive
I used to keep Pickerels, as well as Leopard frogs. The small ones will eat small crix, as you already found out. Size-appropriate earthworms are great; they slurp them up like spaghetti!
I see you are in MA. I would think that room temperature would be fine for now. If it is similar to what we have going on here in western NY (native pickerel habitat.) In cooler weather I would probably add some heating element unless your house is kept above 70 degrees.
I know that picks seem pretty rare out here. Leopard frogs are common, green frogs moreso. Were yours wild-caught or from a store? They are cool frogs

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
addicted
I was out fishing with a friend yesterday and decided to walk through a bog to look for hatchling painteds and came across hundreds of these guys jumping along.I had to be carefull where i stepped or i would have killed a lot of them.So yup they are WC as of yesterday.I usually like to get Cbb animals but them being so young and abundant i figured i would go for it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!