Here is why I rarely enter a photo contest online!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
Angry Here is why I rarely enter a photo contest online!!!!!!

By now, many of you have seen my Tegu in her Bee costume.. (and claimed it was animal abuse lol) Well I entered one of the photos into petco.com for their halloween contest last year..

Well a friend sent me this link today and told me to look close.. towards the bottom right..

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_r..._105_N_27.aspx

sure enough.. my BEE-GU is their little spokes model now..

But I didn't win of course..
ha ha

Using the pic is fine, but I would have liked to been told or something.

I dunno.. Just venting. I know that they can use any photo you submit.. I just wish I would have known..

thanks for listening to me rant..

~Brandi

Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
monkeywrench133
You've got to really read the fine print anytime you enter any kind of online contest, especially if you're submitting photos.

I'd be willing to bet that by submitting that photo for their contest, you also relinquished your rights to it as far as their use of it. ie: it's now their property.

You could email them and see if they'll remove the picture, or credit you as the photographer, if you object, but I doubt you'll get a response.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Lucille
Brandi

They should have told you and all

But

Your Bee-gu is

ADORABLE!!!!

GREAT Costume!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Miss Tuniwha
Erin, Yeah, sadly I know there is no use doing or saying anything about it.. And yes.. time to learn to read that really tiny print..

And Lucille.. Thanks! she is a good little girl.. And she is good about sitting good with her costume on. ^_^

Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
That's still the cutest thing in the universe. You should submit it to icanhascheeseburger. Blow all those kittehs out of the water!
HUGS. Yeah, read the fine print always. Never know what you'll get into by not doing it.
Wolfy

Old 09-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
monkeywrench133
You really do need to be careful about anything you sign.

I just started my 18month old son in a new daycare center, and I had to sign a document specifically saying they DID NOT have my permission to use his likeness in any kind of promotional material. The way they have the paperwork worded, permission is implied unless otherwise stated.

So be careful with any documentation anyone puts in front of you.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Lucille
Indeed. You might want to go back and look at the small print; it may have said that any photo submitted becomes THEIR property, so you could theoretically be barred from submitting it elsewhere, were that the case, because it would no longer be yours.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
From the "OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS"

Quote:
Photos become the property of PETCO.com which will have the right, without further consideration, to modify and/or use them in its catalog, website and in any other publication for promotional purposes. By entering, you agree to PETCO.com's use of your pet's name and likeness for promotional purposes in its TV, radio, website and any other publication for promotional purposes.
Always a catch...
No telling how many thousand pics Petco scored with that contest for free use in their advertising indefinitely.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
You really do need to be careful about anything you sign.

I just started my 18month old son in a new daycare center, and I had to sign a document specifically saying they DID NOT have my permission to use his likeness in any kind of promotional material. The way they have the paperwork worded, permission is implied unless otherwise stated.

So be careful with any documentation anyone puts in front of you.

ok I think that is the scariest thing I have ever heard.

And yes, I sure have learned my lesson..

grrrr...

Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
Interesting way for a company like that to not have to pay for stock photography or photo shoots. Shame on them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!