Possible ban on boas and pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Laura Fopiano
Possible ban on boas and pythons

Ball Python - photo © ronald durst
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has made a significant move towards banning the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons in the United States. Quietly published in the Federal Register, the agency is accepting public comments until April 30th. If enacted this will devastate an already hard hit industry, dealing a fatal death blow to a large number of businesses dependent on this segment of the industry and drying up the supply of these pets to pet owners across the United States. Noted herpetologist, author, former zookeeper, and one of the leading private researchers and breeders of pythons in the United States, David Barker, had this to say...
This is the formal notification and request for public comments regarding the intention of USF&W Service to place ALL snakes in the genera Boa, Python, and Eunectes on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act.

If enacted as regulation, this will ban the importation of said snakes into the USA , and ban all interstate transportation of said snakes.

There is a request made for public input and we feel it will be very important that all keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make written response before 30 April.

This is VERY important. Don’t take this lightly.
Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs. Pet owners will feel the pinch as dry goods suppliers and caging manufacturers stop producing products for that segment of the hobby, and eventually it will be impossible to obtain a new pet boa or python.

To review the USF & W Service proposal, please look at the following document. http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf

Please note that this is a .pdf file and requires Adobe Acrobat to open and read it.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
erovegno
WOW, what numb nut decided on this one. I swear I really don't think people think things through all the way. Do they not realize the impact that would have on the economy. That takes away from jobs, taxes, and the enjoyment of owning these amazing animals. I could possibly understand the banning of the importation of these species, but to ban them from interstate transactions, stupid. I know for one that I put in my comment to them. I hope we can get everyone else here to do the same. If they get swamped with comments they may get the big picture.

Follow the link and read more about the act.

Thank you,
Eric Rovegno

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
richardduckworth
a lot of people are misunderstanding how serious and final this will be as well. a lot of people think that the imported animals will be stopped and that's about it, or that it pertains to big snakes only. this is a death sentence and basically means that only snakes from the US will be kept and in some states, that is already illegal. being labeled injurious wildlife is HUGE. getting a permit would be impossible unless you're not only a zoo, but an AZA accredited zoo.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!