Treating ants in outdoor enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
KrazyHorses
Question Treating ants in outdoor enclosure

How do you treat for fire ants? I'd like to keep an outdoor enclosure, but we have a constant problem with fire ants here in Florida.

What type of chemicals (insecticides/fertilizers) would be harmful to a tortoise?

Would you have to remove them from the enclosure, treat, then wait a certain amount of time?

Can a tortoise deal with some ants wandering around? (is there skin tough enough)

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
zzzdanz
I think I read somewhere that vineagar (sp) works , but not positive.Check 1 of the tortoise forums.
And I wouldn't use any insecticides/fertilizers.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
zzzdanz
http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...w-get-rid.html some of this might help.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
zipzagger
boil up a huge pot of boiling water. it might take multiple pots. but that is a good non-chemical way to kill them, and it kills them instantly, eggs and all. 7 Dust will run them off, and can be eaten without harm by large mammals, but I don't know about tortoises.

I would definitely avoid Diazinon and those other chemical treatments.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
zipzagger
Oh yeah, another thing you can do just to keep them out is to sprinkle ash everywhere. you can also sprinkle ash (from a fire) on your garden vegetables like tomatos and that will keep most bugs off of them. once the ash gets wet tho, it isn't a deterrent anymore.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
KrazyHorses
I wondered if Seven Dust would be mild enough, or Borax.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
zzzdanz
Learn something new everyday. I didn't know ash would do that.
The only SevenDust I know is a metal band, maybe the ants are into classical!?!

I think I'ld stay away from anything with chemicals just in case the ants drag it into the enclosure or something.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
zipzagger
Sevin dust is a derivative of a natural ingredient. and it isn't really poisonous to large animals, which is why you can get away with "dusting" your dogs and cats with it for ticks and fleas. It won't flat out kill fire ants, but it will run them off. borax and comet are less effective, they will just move and quit using the trails the powder is sprinkled on. borax and comet will also kill your grass and all the minerals in the ground so that nothing will grow there anymore. nothing you want anyway.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
zipzagger
Here is what I would do. Get rid of all the ants in the enclosure with boiling water, then sprinkle ash around the perimeter in liberal amounts, as in enough that the ants would have to crawl through about three inches of powder just to get inside. you could also lightly sprinkle a bit of Sevin on top of the ash just to make sure. If all of this gets wet, you'll have to do it over again.

Fire ants will kill anything and everything they can, anything that can't get away. We got invaded so severely that pretty much every square foot of our rural acreage was a fire ant nest, and they ran off every living thing except deer. No more snakes or lizards, no more cottontails or jackrabbits, no ticks, caterpillars, nothing. where I live now in Houston is pretty bad, so when I am walking out in the woods I just ram my walking stick through their mounds over and over just to disrupt them a little.

but they are unstoppable for the most part when you consider the vast billions of them that are out there. all you can do is keep them out of a small area. you definitely don't want them in the house. they will stuff up like you can't imagine. they will chew the plastic off electrical wiring, they will make nests up against the inside of the walls which will eventually get wet and start rotting. they can get in the ceiling and build big nests. I hate those things.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
KrazyHorses
OK, I'm going to try food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

I hope to find some local so I don't have to pay shipping from an internet order. Not sure where to look. Someone said a feed store.

Anyone try this stuff before?

I'm going to try it on the ants...myself, my horses, and my dogs!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!