Homemade incubator - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #11
tinmantribe5
Good job Thomas you are the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Rockinar Dragonz
Very nice Tom!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
BMK.
Neat stuff!
The reason I use 3'heat tape instead of light bulbs, is the light bulb can burn out, for even a short period. I use a coolers for now, 3'heat tape, thermostat,egg create, deli-cup per-lite..blah blah....and I run my humidity a lil higher too.....

either way as long as it works

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
dragonluver83
Thank you guys for the compliments.

Clay,

I think you could use different containers to block out the light.. I.E. not clear plastic. But i got the idea from another breeder that has lights as a heat source. And light has no way affected the babies or there hatching. ( I felt the same way as you until i seen it in action.) But I am sure the panels would work just as good or like your reasoning maybe better. I like it cause i dont EVER have to open the incubator unless putting eggs in or taking them out. I can see in every bin so i know when there hatching.

Chris,

VERY good point, one light can burn out, maybe two, hell lets go for THREE burnt out lights... SO now what, i only have ONE operating light bulb...

This incubator can heat up from room temperature and stay at its desired temperature off of ONE light bulb. AND once its cough up to desired temp the light will run some where around half power. So i am not worried about losing a bulb even though i have about 20 lights on stand by.. There cheap so why not make sure you have enough.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
dragonluver83
Chris,

BTW
whatcha got hatching over there i see a head poking out of the top

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
angie.h
The light doesn't affect the babies at all and even if you lost heat in the incubator for an entire day it wouldn't affect the babies....as long as you aren't living in a house with extreme low temps.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
BMK.
Right on sounds good to me, I,ve seen others run theirs the same way!
Those eggs pics are old but got a couple smoothies and leathers clutchs cooking now few more weeks...
Rizzo & luna to conan and luna to kid rock

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #18
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver83 View Post
Thank you guys for the compliments.

Clay,

I think you could use different containers to block out the light.. I.E. not clear plastic. But i got the idea from another breeder that has lights as a heat source. And light has no way affected the babies or there hatching. ( I felt the same way as you until i seen it in action.) But I am sure the panels would work just as good or like your reasoning maybe better. I like it cause i dont EVER have to open the incubator unless putting eggs in or taking them out. I can see in every bin so i know when there hatching.
There's alot of people who use lights to heat the incubator so I'm sure it works. That's all that matters really.
I did see one incubator today on a breeders site, but I just can't remember where. His incubator was heated with lights installed on the floor of the unit. Just above the lights was a false floor with holes drilled in it. Above that were the wire shelves that held the incubation containers.
The false floor allowed the warm air to rise, which I'm sure helps even out the temps through convection, and also limited the amount of light in the incubator, keeping it sort of lighted but dim.
I thought that was a good approach to the issue. Wish I could remember where I saw that, but you can probably get the idea of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!