Ken of Exotic Pets in Las Vegas*BAD* - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:55 PM   #91
Boavoyage
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...V0049?dayNum=1

O.K. to those guys who thought that Ken and Bobby should split the lost, although I can't get the temperature of the day the incident occured, the link above will take you guys to the temperature chart in Las Vegas for tomorrow. 82F at 6:00 a.m. and 92F at 9:00 a.m. You can do a test on your own by sitting in a car at temperature in range 82F to 87F with windows are up, no air condition for at least half an hour to two hours. Then come back here to post your experience, and let's see if your opinions are still split the lost 50/50. That's the condition the snakes were suffering - in side two plastic containers, which were inside of a carton box w/ no mean of insulator, which were inside of a truck bed w/ no air conditioner for almost two hours (they were first attempt delivered at 8:45 a.m., and the driver start loading their stuff at 7:00 a.m., 4:30 a.m. maybe - I have a brother-in-law who worked for UPS.) I would said those two poor snakes were already cooked at 8:45 a.m. Agree????

Old 07-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #92
sputnik
Thumbs down

Quote:
Ken should have made sure that he told Bobby about the weather and to pack a certian way.
You've got to be joking! I find it rediculous that someone needs to be told what the weather is like in Vegas in the summer! Bobby has been around and should know how to pack by now and I am sure he does know what the weather is like at that time of year.

The box should of been marked "perishable goods keep out of heat" or to that affect, but that was not done, which is rediculous!

This mess could of been worked out instead of Bobby running to the BOI before Ken could even reply to his offer of how he wanted to handle it.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #93
Darin Chappell
I have to agree. The idea that Ken was responsible for telling Bobby what the weather was going to be like in Las Vegas in July is silly. If Bobby is the long term shipper that he claims to be, he should know better than to ship in the manners he has adopted. He doesn't, and that tells us something about Bobby, Huh?

Old 07-11-2003, 06:40 PM   #94
sputnik
Quote:
If Bobby is the long term shipper that he claims to be, he should know better than to ship in the manners he has adopted. He doesn't, and that tells us something about Bobby, Huh?
I would have to say that I personally would be *VERY* hesitant to buy from Bobby. Someone that can't be bothered to pack animals properly or inform you when to expect them or what shipping company they are coming from is *NOT* good business person!

It borders on pure negligence!

I have had people ship things to me, but never notify me they are coming! Fortunately I have been home at the times these animals arrived, but it is very irritating dealing with people like this.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #95
HerpVenue
Darin,
ThanksI see more clearly now. Or should I say I am even more confused.

Because now I can see it going both ways.

As the shipper....if you give me a place to ship to....you should be there.

As the buyer.....While it is true I should not have to open up early for one ousy shipment.....I should be at that place to receive animals I had sent to that place.

But if he was there.....would the animals be alive?
ause wheather they were there at 8:45 or at 1:00. Bottom line...
115 degrees and no cooling pack.

I start to panick when I see the temps go above 85 at the place I am delivering to.

Oh well I think this might be a no win situation. I can see the arguement on both sides. You should have been there. Well you should have packed properly.....

Old 07-11-2003, 06:49 PM   #96
sputnik
I guess the big question is ................ were they already DEAD at 8:45 am?

They may of been dead then because of bad packaging or because of no label warning to keep out of or away from heat!

Or were they still alive?

Old 07-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #97
Brian Oakley
Before I make a FEW short points, I want you all to know I ONLY read the first 3 pages. I did not go through all the other stuff that follows in most posts on the BOI.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, just a side note so people do not argue with what I might say.

I donot know Bobby (never spoke to him as far as I know) and I do not know Ken (never spoke to him as far as I know).

Bobby,
I believe the fact that you have been working/breeding.caring for snakes for 15 (I think you said) years. WIth that said, I am sure this is not your first rodeo. You have shipped before (I assume) and you also know that more snakes are lost during the summer than the winter. Even on the east coast (pic a city or state) with daytime highs in the 80-90 range, it can have a "feels like temp" MUCH higher than that if you add the humidity and a snake would most likely die had it been shipped the way you packed it even if it was going across the street. You showed ZERO care for your animals that you were shipping and you showed ZERO care for your reputation (good or bad) in doing so.
A little education of the mighty dessert in the southwest. Last night I was watching the 10pm news. At 10:20 when the weather came on it was still 96 (I believe) they said. That is nothing. I have been out herping at 2am in August and it is STILL over 100 degrees. Do you think an animal of ANY KIND would survive any period of time in a 12 cubic inch (as an example) box in that heat? NO circulation etc. and packing the way you did!
Now for something about shipping to the southwest. I received a package just this morning. It came at 9:50am. The temp at that time in Pheonix was 94 degrees (at least at my house). I asked the shipper how they dhip (packaging/company etc.) and they said they will be shipping in a styro insulated box. EVERYONE: THIS SHOULD BE STANDARD IF YOU SHIP ANIMALS OF ANY KIND. I never understood why people ship in the summer OR winter without it. Anyway, I asked the shipper to make sure they add a cold pack and that way we would both know the snake would arrive just fine. Long story short, it came JUST FINE. She is a healthy snake, wasn't dying for water, was active, and when I opened the box, there was not a wave of heat that came out of it. By the way, they came from Gulf Coast Reptiles. GREAT JOB CHRIS AND SHEILA!

Now there is the argument of whether or not Ken should have been there. THat is between you two. I say it should not matter. I have been in the same situation that Ken was faced with where I missed the delivery attempt OR it just came late. IF IT WERE PROPERLY PACKED IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING IF NEED BE (no I am not yelling, just making sure my point is clear).

As far as I am concerned Bobby, you owe this individual the replacement of snakes OR the $$ in the amount you all agree on.

Too bad this happened at all, but you hear this every year. Unfortuantely people only read these stories, get caught in the same situation, rather than do what is best for the animal, their pocket ($$), and their reputation.
One mentioned that people that ship like this should be banned. I would not buy from Bobby knowing he did this. In other words, he has been banned, just up to you all as far as how many people he would be banned from shipping to.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:43 PM   #98
jim scharphorn
I have not read this 6 pg. complaint but read the first and last pg.

If I were in Bobby's shoes I would be thinking that It is the other guy's fault for not being there to recieve the package. You have to assume it could show up at 7am or 5 pm you just never know when recieving. And as far as everyone complaining about the no insulation in the box, I am sure that would not have played a roll in this at 8:45 in the morning. I am sure the snakes road around in a van all day till the next delivery attempt.

I would find for the reciever in the loss for not being there to recieve.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:45 PM   #99
Brian Oakley
Thanks for bringing that up Sputnik. I meant to speak on that as well.

I guarantee you, the snakes were dead when they got on to the truck in Vegas. There is no way those snakes made it through all the stuffy travels they indured for 24 hours and lived without being kept at a SOMEWHAT humane temp.

Just another point. When I ship, I always asak the receiver what the weather is like where they are. Maybe it is because it is always a concern here (at least for a good part of the year), but we ALL should get in that habbit. Do not rely on the recipient to tell you how hot or cold it is.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #100
Brian Oakley
Jim, packaging has EVERYTHING to do with it even if they were coming to a town near you. At 8am in the southwest, it can be in excess of 85+ degrees. Put that on top of being in a small box with not ventilation and you have a recipe for death.

Here is the link to weather.com
It will show you temps at various times of day in Vegas.

http://www.weather.com/weather/detail/USNV0049

I think it is quite relivant that there was no insulation or cold pack.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!