Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections. - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the "no reply" policy in classified ads helped or hindered?
Yes. Re-enable all replies to the classifieds sections. 179 50.42%
No. Keep it as it is with replies to the classifieds disabled for non-paying members. 127 35.77%
Didn't go far enough. Disable replies in the classifieds sections to ALL members. 36 10.14%
What? I wondered why I couldn't reply to classified ads! 10 2.82%
There are classified ads here? 3 0.85%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #101
WebSlave
As far as I know, pruning in vBulletin is a fully manual process, not something that can be set to run automatically.

But even if it were an option, I would not use it. I think I've said it quite a few times that even old ads are beneficial as fodder to the search engines to bring new members here. My opinion has not changed on that.

So, let's see.. As best I can remember, anyone posting an ad in the classifieds section could always delete said ad up till 259200 minutes (180 days) after it was originally posted. So if within nearly 6 months someone doesn't want their ad to remain here, whose responsibility should it be to manage that function? And after that 6 months? Well, sorry, I don't want management to have to micromanage the classifieds in that manner. If someone leaves an old ad on here, then why should management here be concerned that someone might be pissed that a member has responded to it at such a late date? Everyone has been given the tools to effectively manage their own ads, and we pretty much expect everyone to do that themselves.

So then you have ads that are very old and they get responded to. Is that really such a big deal? Apparently the responder did not notice the date of that ad. Again, whose fault is that? Should we make it an infractionable offense to do that? Heck, should we make it an infraction for people to leave old ads here?

Well, sorry, but no. I think we have enough rules here without looking to put more in that I'm sure many would think are just downright frivolous. The ability for any registered member on this site to post ads in the classified sections is completely free. I am sorry that some may think they are getting a return of less than they are paying for this service, but quite honestly, I am just not all that inclined to play mother hen for every aspect of what members do on this site. And I certainly do not expect my moderators to do that neither.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #102
312Herps
I thought it was decided that there wasn't going to be comments/replies allowed on for sale posts :/ that's very unfortunate they are allowed as I can only see negativity coming from this change. I was about to renew my sponsorship on here , but I think i'd rather just stop using FC for posting ads altogether. This change IMO is to warrant more drama which this forum thrives off of. Facebook really slowed the traffic on here down as far as sales and I have to say although I truly appreciate the BOI if it wasn't for the BOI this forum probably wouldn't be much used. I truly appreciate the forum and it's wealth of knowledge in the BOI and hope someday it'll go back to no comments/replies on the for sale ads.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #103
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312Herps View Post
I thought it was decided that there wasn't going to be comments/replies allowed on for sale posts :/ that's very unfortunate they are allowed as I can only see negativity coming from this change. I was about to renew my sponsorship on here , but I think i'd rather just stop using FC for posting ads altogether. This change IMO is to warrant more drama which this forum thrives off of. Facebook really slowed the traffic on here down as far as sales and I have to say although I truly appreciate the BOI if it wasn't for the BOI this forum probably wouldn't be much used. I truly appreciate the forum and it's wealth of knowledge in the BOI and hope someday it'll go back to no comments/replies on the for sale ads.
It's been proven time and time again that I can't please everyone. So apparently this time YOU drew the short straw.

Good luck on your move to someplace else more to your liking.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #104
312Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
It's been proven time and time again that I can't please everyone. So apparently this time YOU drew the short straw.

Good luck on your move to someplace else more to your liking.
Thanks Rich, You do a great job on here and Thanks for even having this forum up it serves a great purpose. I will definitely continue to use it as a reference to look up breeders as it's always been pretty accurate, thanks for the work you've done for the reptile community !

Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #105
WebSlave
You DO know that you can lock your own ads to block replies, don't you?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #106
312Herps
Yes but then you can't erase them later which I like to do. if that was possible that'd be great. Thanks though.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #107
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312Herps View Post
Yes but then you can't erase them later which I like to do. if that was possible that'd be great. Thanks though.
What do you mean that you can't erase them? Do you mean delete the ad? If so, then yes you can actually through the classifieds control panel under "UserCP". If you mean erase parts of the ad, you can do this to by making it unlocked, doing your editing and then re-locking it.

Kyle

Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #108
312Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
What do you mean that you can't erase them? Do you mean delete the ad? If so, then yes you can actually through the classifieds control panel under "UserCP". If you mean erase parts of the ad, you can do this to by making it unlocked, doing your editing and then re-locking it.

Kyle
Oh thanks I didn't know that.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #109
hhmoore
I don't believe you have to "unlock" your ad to edit or delete; but I'll check to confirm when I'm done checking New Posts (if I log out to access mydummyacct, all that stuff is reset)

**Edit**
I was mistaken - Kyle was correct - you will have to unlock the ad to edit. (I guess that one of the perks of being a moderator is that there's always a working edit button, lol)

Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #110
nickolasanastasiou
Has the desired outcome (reversal of site traffic decline) between institution of this change been achieved? Prior to the Facebook page creation, I mean, since that would be a confounding factor that could independently improve traffic statistics.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!