An Awful Adoption Experience - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #101
SilverRaichu
I dont know if anyone is interested, but i have some updates on the dog in NC i wanted so badly.
Everything that is going on is all said here:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p..._comment_reply

After I posted, a friend I knew spoke in my favor, and it seem to escalate quite a bit

Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #102
Shadera
How's your pup hunt going, Stephanie?

I'm still planning to purchase a puppy next year, but did just finish up an amazing interaction with a rescue a state over. They even waived the home inspection because the application was good. We're picking up our new kitty, Chester, this weekend in Idaho.

Don't lose heart. There are still a few good ones out there!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #103
SilverRaichu
Still a slow process.. I have an application with a rescue in NY an waiting to hear from them.. so once again playing the waiting game. They did acknowledge my application and contacted me about my current dog so hoping for the best!

Glad to hear things are going well on your end! You'll have to show us your new kitty when u get him
The rescue I was dealing with deleted the comment thread, they were getting too many negative comments

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #104
SilverRaichu
So thinking about what was going on with the rescue, i went on their fb page and they uploaded a video of the dog i wanted to adopt playing with another dog.

Adopt the dog someone else and rub it in while your at it!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=504193192958463

"congratulations to 2step for graduation their class and thanks to Connor for helping"
Yea and thanks for ripping my heart out in the process -_-

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #105
Shadera
Don't let them get to you. Some people really get off on being mean to others and if you show them it bothers you, they win. Connor clearly wasn't meant to be yours. There must be an amazing, better dog out there for you. Seriously.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #106
SilverRaichu
I don't know. I'm losing faith in the whole thing. I got denied yet by another rescue.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #107
Untaimed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRaichu View Post
I don't know. I'm losing faith in the whole thing. I got denied yet by another rescue.
Which just means that when you find the right dog, it will be even sweeter. There must be a dog that needs you more than these have & when the time is right for the both of you, IT WILL HAPPEN. I know it's frustrating & heart breaking right now, but what would be even worse would be to get the go ahead from a rescue only to find out that the dog truly meant for you is still waiting for you to find him/her after you've already adopted another. I believe that everything happens for a reason & I truly believe that your perfect dog will find you when it's meant to happen. Hugs to you. Enjoy the holidays & I have no doubts that you'll find your perfect match soon.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #108
SilverRaichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaimed View Post
Which just means that when you find the right dog, it will be even sweeter. There must be a dog that needs you more than these have & when the time is right for the both of you, IT WILL HAPPEN. I know it's frustrating & heart breaking right now, but what would be even worse would be to get the go ahead from a rescue only to find out that the dog truly meant for you is still waiting for you to find him/her after you've already adopted another. I believe that everything happens for a reason & I truly believe that your perfect dog will find you when it's meant to happen. Hugs to you. Enjoy the holidays & I have no doubts that you'll find your perfect match soon.
Thank you, I am still looking!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #109
sunshinenorcas
Just to note, someone a few pages back was talking about renting... I can't speak for ALL rescues everywhere, but I know the ones I work with DO ask if you rent and ask for written permission from the landlord because they've had people be like 'WHELP WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE COULDN'T HAVE A DOG' and it's a pain on everyone and stressful for the dog to go back and forth. But renting alone doesn't stop someone from adopting- the only time I've seen that happen is for either potential 'BSL' dogs like Dobs, Pits, or GSD's where the shelter/rescue doesn't want a dog friendly landlord to suddenly be very undogfriendly or dogs with a ton of energy like labs, JRT's and hounds to apartments.
But there are exceptions to every rule- I've seen pits adopted out to renters because they made sure beforehand that the landlord was cool with the pit, and I've seen JRTs go to apartments because either owners were a) heavily active or b) in a few cases, the JRT was laid back and not CRACKDOG.
So yes. It is a valid question to ask and to make sure that it's not an impulse decision. Because you may have spent months preparing for it, but for every super prepared person, there's someone who decides, WELL I WANT A DOG TODAY without thinking if the dog matches their lifestyle or homelife. And sometimes it works out... but sometimes the dog ends up on craigslist or a shelter as another chain in an endless cycle of 'impluse buys' And it's frustrating.
And also, people do lie and people can be nasty. You think that rescues have ridiculous standards? Wonder WHY they have those ridiculous standards. I guarantee most of those questions or checks will have a reason behind it that's a sad and/or frustrating tale.
And again- for every prepared person who knows what their doing when they talk to a rescue (or shelter) there are plenty of morons behind them. It gets old. It gets annoying. And I'm not trying to excuse the bad ones- there are bad apples everywhere, but I know the ones I've worked with that do look at the applications hard and maybe ask 'weird' questions are doing it because honestly, they don't want to see these dogs again- they want them to find a forever family.

Oh and fence- the shelter I volunteer with requires a fence for larger dogs (and pictures of it during application stage), but it's a stray facility and most of our dogs are very street savvy, and again- we don't want to see them again. A fence doesn't guarantee that a dog will stay in the yard and never get loose, but it definitely helps. They will allow wiggle room depending on the people- but it just depends. They do longgggg interviews in conjunction to the questions.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #110
SilverRaichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinenorcas View Post
Just to note, someone a few pages back was talking about renting... I can't speak for ALL rescues everywhere, but I know the ones I work with DO ask if you rent and ask for written permission from the landlord because they've had people be like 'WHELP WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE COULDN'T HAVE A DOG' and it's a pain on everyone and stressful for the dog to go back and forth. But renting alone doesn't stop someone from adopting- the only time I've seen that happen is for either potential 'BSL' dogs like Dobs, Pits, or GSD's where the shelter/rescue doesn't want a dog friendly landlord to suddenly be very undogfriendly or dogs with a ton of energy like labs, JRT's and hounds to apartments.
But there are exceptions to every rule- I've seen pits adopted out to renters because they made sure beforehand that the landlord was cool with the pit, and I've seen JRTs go to apartments because either owners were a) heavily active or b) in a few cases, the JRT was laid back and not CRACKDOG.
So yes. It is a valid question to ask and to make sure that it's not an impulse decision. Because you may have spent months preparing for it, but for every super prepared person, there's someone who decides, WELL I WANT A DOG TODAY without thinking if the dog matches their lifestyle or homelife. And sometimes it works out... but sometimes the dog ends up on craigslist or a shelter as another chain in an endless cycle of 'impluse buys' And it's frustrating.
And also, people do lie and people can be nasty. You think that rescues have ridiculous standards? Wonder WHY they have those ridiculous standards. I guarantee most of those questions or checks will have a reason behind it that's a sad and/or frustrating tale.
And again- for every prepared person who knows what their doing when they talk to a rescue (or shelter) there are plenty of morons behind them. It gets old. It gets annoying. And I'm not trying to excuse the bad ones- there are bad apples everywhere, but I know the ones I've worked with that do look at the applications hard and maybe ask 'weird' questions are doing it because honestly, they don't want to see these dogs again- they want them to find a forever family.

Oh and fence- the shelter I volunteer with requires a fence for larger dogs (and pictures of it during application stage), but it's a stray facility and most of our dogs are very street savvy, and again- we don't want to see them again. A fence doesn't guarantee that a dog will stay in the yard and never get loose, but it definitely helps. They will allow wiggle room depending on the people- but it just depends. They do longgggg interviews in conjunction to the questions.
But that still doesn't explain why legitimate pet owners are being turned away from adopting. It doesn't explain why that one good person out of all the morons isn't suitable to adopt. The system is put into place to weed out those morons from the good potential adopters. So why are those people getting turned away?
I'm finding in my road of hell trying to adopt that volunteers are abusing this system to be unecessarily picky. Tell me, how does answering pages worth of questionare give you the peace of mind or the red flag of the person applying, why can't volunteers take more time to talk to people and get to know them to see for themselves if this person is "legit" or not. I have yet to go through a longggg interview you speak of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!