Can't seem to reply in my own threads... - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #101
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
It simply comes down to if people would police themselves and be considerate of others, rules and changes would not become necessary. Instead of being upset with Rich for having to make changes, you should be upset with those who have caused the problems which are making the changes necessary.

No need to code anything special. Compromise and let the members police themselves by reporting individuals who are obviously abusing the system. Make the rules clear... members posting ads for free are allowed only x-number of posts per day (whether it's a new ad or a bumped ad). If others see someone abusing the rule, they report it. A moderator can determine if the abuse warrants infraction points. When the abuser accumulates x-amount of infraction points the system automatically gives them a temporary vacation. I'm sure repeat abusers will learn to follow the rules if they keep finding themselves faced with time outs in the corner. Members who pay/contribute obviously can get the perks by having extra ads/bumps allowed per day based on their contribution level...i think that is something already coded?

This is from another site that allows free ads. Their rules are pretty clear cut and the members do follow them...

Quote:
Each thread or post may be bumped only once every 24 hours from the time of the initial post (and each bump thereafter). Furthermore, the total number of bumps or posts made in a 24 hour period must not exceed two. Thus, in any 24 hour period you can:

* Make two new posts (the same items can not be listed in both ads)
* Make one new post and bump an existing post
* Bump two existing posts

You may not, however, bump the same post twice in a 24 hour period, even if no other posts have been made.

Violation of any of these rules may result in your ad being deleted and you may or may not receive a warning or infraction.
Personally, I think 1 ad (or bump) per day is generous for a "free" ad deal. If they want or need more exposure then they should fork up the pennies and upgrade their account status.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #102
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
No need to code anything special. Compromise and let the members police themselves by reporting individuals who are obviously abusing the system. Make the rules clear... members posting ads for free are allowed only x-number of posts per day (whether it's a new ad or a bumped ad). If others see someone abusing the rule, they report it. A moderator can determine if the abuse warrants infraction points. When the abuser accumulates x-amount of infraction points the system automatically gives them a temporary vacation. I'm sure repeat abusers will learn to follow the rules if they keep finding themselves faced with time outs in the corner. Members who pay/contribute obviously can get the perks by having extra ads/bumps allowed per day based on their contribution level...i think that is something already coded?
But to put more on the mods is something that is trying to be avoided. They already have enough to do policing my posts. Seriously, on any given day there are over 1,200 posts made per day and with 7 mods and Rich that makes 150 posts each for them to "police" each day. Add e-mails, pm's and hell their own lives, adding something more for them to do is kind of unreasonable don't you think? I do.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #103
Angel Rojas
Im none of my posts was I out of line, and ass, or disrespectful to anyone

Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #104
Angel Rojas
Sorry to double post but I was given bad karma JUST because I didn't share someone elses veiws

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #105
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
But to put more on the mods is something that is trying to be avoided. They already have enough to do policing my posts. Seriously, on any given day there are over 1,200 posts made per day and with 7 mods and Rich that makes 150 posts each for them to "police" each day. Add e-mails, pm's and hell their own lives, adding something more for them to do is kind of unreasonable don't you think? I do.
I'm one of the Admins on the site he's referring to, and yes, it is FAR from an ideal solution, and the constant need for ads to be monitored manually requires most of the time of one of our mods, and requires a lot of users using the "report bad post" feature... we end up banning people who abuse the rules quickly, but I can't imagine doing it for a site this size...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #106
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Rojas View Post
Im none of my posts was I out of line, and ass, or disrespectful to anyone
It is like we talked about on the phone, were you or not, it is how what you said was interpreted by others. You may not have thought you were but others may have you were.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #107
hhmoore
Angel - this is a thread with a specific topic. With all due respect, your karma level has nothing to do with advertising on this site. (As a side note, clicking on the link in the left hand column will bring you back to the post for which the karma was given. Maybe taking another look at them, without considering what you meant by your words, will give you some insight to people's reactions)

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #108
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Rojas
none of my posts was I out of line, and ass, or disrespectful to anyone

I find this disrespectful to all the moderators here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Rojas View Post
But instead of doing that, they are running around giving infractions and bans to whoever disagrees with them

I also find it unfounded and antagonistic towards the staff here. You haven't received any infractions for posting in this thread, yet. Matter of fact, you have only received infractions for being disruptive in the classifieds. Considering multiple moderators have found you so, on multiple occasions, I believe this maybe in part why you are being antagonistic to the moderators here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Rojas
Sorry to double post but I was given bad karma JUST because I didn't share someone elses veiws

I think it has more to do with the fact that you aren't simply stating opinion an a respectful manner. But you know, this thread really isn't about you. Contribute to the topic or move on.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #109
JudyC
Here's how I see the issue regarding bumping ads...

Of course, there's no perfect solution to make it "fair" for everyone. But then again...show me a single instance in this world that is truly "fair".

Manual moderation of the classifieds is simply not feasible, as has been pointed out. So whatever limits are set MUST be able to be set up as an automatic thing. Rich is fortunate to have someone willing and able to do that sort of coding for him. (Even if it does cost him an arm and a leg )

There are obviously going to be some limits at every level. And it makes sense that the more one donates to the site, the higher limit that person gets. Think of these bumps as your personal resources. Just like the money in your bank account. There will always be someone with more money than you...and always someone with less. The point isn't how much money you have, but how wise you are with it. Same with the bumps....the ultimate number of bumps you end up with shouldn't be your primary focus...but simply how wisely you use those bumps.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #110
Amelanistic Orca
I sincerely apologize publicy for my part to anyone and everyone... I'm dunne in the sun over here and cannot reply to any of my ads... What can I do to remedy?? I love this site and more than half the people on it!! Lol..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!