Wild Wild West - Part 2 - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #101
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Yeah, I know Wes. You would prefer to know where the line is so you can snug your toes up as close as possible to it.........
Perhaps even edging a pinky over that line just to see if it's real or imaginary.

You can't be surprised.

I certainly wasn't.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #102
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
My specs for the programming of this system left me with the leeway to where I can select via member group which members will be able to utilize the warning points. I could limit it to Benefactor and Endowment only members, if I so choose (and in reality this may not be a half bad idea). Or else create an entirely separate member group solely for this purpose. Certainly either of these two options would greatly decrease the problem of retaliatory use of he warning points.

It should be people who are voted in. Not people who can pay more. That right there is NOT fair. I love this site, but i cant dish out 100 bucks for it.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #103
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
It should be people who are voted in. Not people who can pay more. That right there is NOT fair. I love this site, but i cant dish out 100 bucks for it.
That is an excellent point.
Why should someone new to the site that dishes out the big bucks automatically have a big stick? Maybe we should base the power on a combination of membership level and number of posts (or something similar).

Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #104
SoulSmilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Why should someone new to the site that dishes out the big bucks automatically have a big stick? Maybe we should base the power on a combination of membership level and number of posts (or something similar).
There's good and bad with this, just like there's good and bad with all of it. Again, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

It is highly unlikely that a brand new member will shell out 100 bucks for the site to begin with; by the same token, the risk of seeming to cater to only a 'select' group of members and saying 'to hell with newer members' is great, too.

There are those that are good, just, objective folks who might not be big posters but have a high regard and/or find Fauna valuable, then there are big posters who are hot air blowers and find the opposite true.. then there are those that fall in the middle, as well.

If there is to be an election type thing, I agree with Kelli - call them mods and let 'er rip! If this is truly peer based, the distinction should be more representative of the member base as a whole, not a select few. With the rules in place, the ones who are abusing it will be obvious pretty quickly, and I don't think that will be a problem once the initial novelty (which it would be to some) wears off.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #105
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Number of posts would tend to have the effect of increasing trash posts, people with the one liners or one worders just trying to up their count.

Membership length would have the same issue, someone who's been registered since the last forum rollover with six total posts over that time frame probably isn't intellectually invested in the site.

I decided a couple years ago not to give Rich any more money for Fauna, if someone really feels like digging, they can probably find a post or two explaining my reasons but in the end, they are just that MY reasons... so I'm S.O.L. on the new system (although I'm disinclined to use it anyway, same as the karma), but I don't think there's any other impartial way of determining which members are or are not invested enough to get ability. Length of membership doesn't work, there are long term non-posters and probably any number of multiple logins that have been long dormant. Total post count doesn't work well either because it would both encourage and reward hollow posts (with a flat number, a post that consists of "lol" would have the same net value as someone who took the time to write something meaningful on a subject). Only thing left is contributor levels.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #106
SoulSmilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
There is actually a ding for 'warning point abuse' ("Warning system abuse 2")
so I think the plan is tenable as is. If I saw someone warning you for no good reason, Laura, I could in turn give them an abuse point.
Clarifying.. will the warnings be viewable by everyone so that retaliation and/or abuse IS known?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #107
SoulSmilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
Number of posts would tend to have the effect of increasing trash posts, people with the one liners or one worders just trying to up their count.

Membership length would have the same issue, someone who's been registered since the last forum rollover with six total posts over that time frame probably isn't intellectually invested in the site.

I decided a couple years ago not to give Rich any more money for Fauna, if someone really feels like digging, they can probably find a post or two explaining my reasons but in the end, they are just that MY reasons... so I'm S.O.L. on the new system (although I'm disinclined to use it anyway, same as the karma), but I don't think there's any other impartial way of determining which members are or are not invested enough to get ability. Length of membership doesn't work, there are long term non-posters and probably any number of multiple logins that have been long dormant. Total post count doesn't work well either because it would both encourage and reward hollow posts (with a flat number, a post that consists of "lol" would have the same net value as someone who took the time to write something meaningful on a subject). Only thing left is contributor levels.
Bingo! Thanks Seamus, I meant to address this in my previous post and then left it out.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #108
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley

Also a great point, Seamus.
Possibly a combination of posts, duration of membership, and karma could be calculated. It just doesn't seem reasonable to put all of the power on the dollar.

Of course, we're probably making this all more complicated then it needs to be. Maybe everyone should just have an equal piece.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #109
SoulSmilen
Quote:
Also a great point, Seamus.
Possibly a combination of posts, duration of membership, and karma could be calculated. It just doesn't seem reasonable to put all of the power on the dollar.

Of course, we're probably making this all more complicated then it needs to be. Maybe everyone should just have an equal piece.
Equal is the only way to make it truly peer based. Who knows, it might up the participation level as a whole and prove fruitful in the long run.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #110
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
I say it should be Truly active people on the board who wish to do it. I think a select group of people ( more mods, or mod type people) should be selected by us. the people who use, and care for this board and its progress.

There should be nominations allowed as well if you like somone and think they are capable of such a job then you should be able to nominate them for the position,that and people who offer to do it as well. If people see them as fair, and trustworthy they will vote for the people accordingly. This way, rich has control over the way the program is used, and the people have the option of who hands the points out! If one of these mods starts abusing the system, they can be voted OUT by the members. and rich can take those powers away.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread