Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #111
WindyO
What are you reading Tom? I don't understand why you feel the need to put words in my mouth. If you are searching for the point in what i said it is this. What do the big breeders get from it? I am a small hoby breeder myself and aside from looking up others lineage i can't find a use for this. If you can good luck with it. Personally i will spend my money improving my bloodlines and letting my geckos speak for themselves. This is my decision so best wishes to you and yours.

As for monopolies, what are you talking about? You have the ability to make whatever you put into this. There may be breeders who get more for their animals but how does this effect you?

Now for Glenn. I'm sorry but why would you pay for a $600 gecko from her when you could under-cut her for $550. With these documents you could and probably would show them that they have the same exact lineage for $50 less. Do you really not see that happening. The people who make the product need to comp the costs on them. Or they can't afford to start their next projects. Believe it or not they do need to feed themselves.

As for the supply and demand comment , you said it all. I look at this as a hobby and am thankful for everyones contributions to it. Without them we would still have wild caught geckos. I only care about what i think is best for this as a hobby. Which i believe is supporting the people. Not in trying to make a quick buck. What you think is better for a business is your opinion. I'm not talking about that subject.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #112
dragonflyreptiles
This entire thread has gotten out of hand!

It has started from a would you, what do you think of it to a who some think are obligated to use the system.

That is just beyond pathetic!

Anyone at anytime can do anything they want, and for ANYONE to say that anyone is obligated by morals or other standings to participate is obscene at best.

I do plan to participate and am trying to get photos of all of my 100+ leos to register, but with 2 children that takes time, good photos and a lot on patience.

It also means that any leo not bought direct from a ***BREEDER*** that cannot be confirmed direct or without tracing people down is a pain.

Now Id love to claim my Urban male as my own breeder that I bought second hand but then some would complain about that, as oh she has an Urban listed as an original breeder.

I still feel that this is a great comparison to the AKC so kill me, thats all I know about registrations of animals well that and the UKC but same idea.

I think NOW that it is a good start, I may not be able to register all of my purchases from the original line but the records will benefit others in the future.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #113
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
Since the ACR has been brought up and referenced several times in this discussion, I would just like to point out that the ACR was not created with the purpose of being able to stop anyone from mislabeling stuff or to control labeling standards for classifieds or auctions or shows. It seems like this is a central theme in the discussions I've read about getting a registry going for leos, and I wanted it to be noted that the ACR is not involved in any way in setting, establishing, maintaining, enforcing, encouraging, or discouraging any standards.
Thank you for posting, Serp. Your input is always appreciated!

The LGR's goal is not to "control" standards either. However, I myself (and I know many others) get thoroughly disgusted with some of the outragous claims we see on some auctions, classifieds and forums. Steven and I have been talking, and we may simply use a "panel of judges" to make a final decision on the more questionable registrations (IE Normals registered as SHTCT). That "panel of judges" would be "voted into office" by the Leopard Gecko Community itself, not by the LGR. If it is a serious concern of the Leo Community that the LGR may disregard any control on what gets registered as what. We don't want to do that, but in the end, this is about the Leo Community as a whole and not about us as the founders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Role model? Well, I try to be an honest person that helps others, but I am only a gecko breeder.
Kelli, I think a lot of people look up to you (I know I do) and think of you more then just a "gecko breeder." That in now way shape or form is a push to have to be an active member with the LGR. It is simply meant as a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyO
The idea of a public lineage site is appealing. I just am leary of problems that could stem from this.
Feel free to email me and discuss your apprehention privately if you wish. I am all to happy to listen to your concerns (among everyone elses) and answer any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
So my higer $$ purchases to insure a line being into my colony are now worthless without a ton of hassle of having multiple sellers confirm the line when it is sold and resold.
I think worthless is an extremely harsh word to use. Anyone is free to place in the comments section what line their gecko originated from. Yes, we will be verifying it for most individuals. As an example, if KelliH was to register one of her geckos as a particular line (not established by herself), the LGR would certainly not research the fact. She herself has a wonderful reputation that speaks for itself, and I think it would be a slap in the face for the LGR to question her on her lines.

Quote:
I'm sorry but why would you pay for a $600 gecko from her when you could under-cut her for $550. With these documents you could and probably would show them that they have the same exact lineage for $50 less.
The point of the LGR is certainly not to undercut anyones sales. Regardless of the LGR (or the ACR), that does happen. It personally disgusts me when I see Rich's Lav Stripes for sale for $2000 and I find an unknown breeder selling the same morph for $800. Come on, that's ludacris. Personally, I'd rather have Rich's line because of who it was coming from.

Quote:
It also means that any leo not bought direct from a ***BREEDER*** that cannot be confirmed direct or without tracing people down is a pain. Now Id love to claim my Urban male as my own breeder that I bought second hand but then some would complain about that, as oh she has an Urban listed as an original breeder.
Do not worry about tracking people down, that is the LGR'S responsibility. I'm thinking (from reading your post) that maybe you're thinking that the "new line" in the"family tree" part means that you had to originally breed the animal. That is not true. If your name is not listed as the breeder, no one should consider you the breeder of that animal.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #114
TripleMoonsExotic
I want everyone to know, that we are open to suggestions from everyone about how to handle things. If you have a thought on how something would work better, please let us know!

Old 01-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #115
bro paul
Are there really that many people out there frustrated by the "outrageous claims" and misrepresented leopard geckos on auctions/forums/classifieds? I really don't notice them...or perhaps I don't look for them. When I come across one I usually find it slightly entertaining anyway. Maybe I'm bored...? It just seems like a normal part of the terrain in any hobby.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #116
The NY Gecko
brian. ill make this clear as possible. read what you said. the par ti bolded out and quoted. maybe youll understand where im coming from if you read it with a little bit of thought, more than you hastily put down when you typed it. think about how that sounds to someone like me. me and you already started off on the wrong foot. im a true beliver in forgiveness. but dont make it a chore.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:57 PM   #117
KelliH
Quote:
The only way to keep it from happening is to not sell any babies. Hey thats an idea! LOL! I know we all wish we could keep all of our babies but not always possible.
Oh man, that would be a dream come true! I could hoard all my geckos and have them all to myself! Too bad I have to sleep

Stephanie, I just may take you up on that email.

Glen and Wendy, thanks for caring :-)

Tom, just for the record, I don't consider myself a "big breeder", I consider myself a smalltime breeder/hobbiest with a lot of geckos

Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #118
g&mgeckos
Quote:
I think that comment was totally uncalled for, EVERYONE knows what Kelli has gone threw in the last year and that is just too low of a blow for you or anyone to expect anything of her.

Be glad she is still able to work with the leos and provide us buyers with great lines and wonderful genetics.

This just makes me sick, I cannot even believe you just typed that at all!

How about if you walk 1 day, just 1 in Kellis shoes then come back here and say what you can and cannot do you!

This entier post would have been

But I am unable to pay a fine at this time!
Wendy, I am very sorry you took that comment the way you did, and hopefully Kelli doesn't take it that way either. I myself consider it a priveledge to be able to have her here and to still be working on some of the best geckos I have seen. I just hope that she knows me well enough to know I wasn't trying to take a cheap shot at her or any one else. But as someone else as stated already many people here and on other forums look up to her and what she as done. I think that says alot for who she is. Does she like being in the spot light, well I think her comments said it all. I will just leave it I'm sorry.

Quote:
Tom you can take it any way you want but trying to tell someone how they should feel , act and do is something else. And trying to get a heart string by using another person name to say you should or should not do something is even worse.

Walk in someone else's shoes for a day, anyones, and you will see a different angle to verything that is said and done!
Tom thank you for trying to explain. But don't cause yourself any problems. Wendy I wasn't by any means trying to tell her how to feel, or act. And again I am sorry you took it that way.

Quote:
Now for Glenn. I'm sorry but why would you pay for a $600 gecko from her when you could under-cut her for $550. With these documents you could and probably would show them that they have the same exact lineage for $50 less. Do you really not see that happening. The people who make the product need to comp the costs on them. Or they can't afford to start their next projects. Believe it or not they do need to feed themselves.

As for the supply and demand comment , you said it all. I look at this as a hobby and am thankful for everyones contributions to it. Without them we would still have wild caught geckos. I only care about what i think is best for this as a hobby. Which i believe is supporting the people. Not in trying to make a quick buck. What you think is better for a business is your opinion. I'm not talking about that subject.
Yes I understand what you are saying. Would I do it? NO. Would someone else? Well it happens all the time already. I plan on selling my offspring for what I think they are worth. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems for anyone. And the second part I am with you. Much respect to the ones that have paid the dues..........

Well this is it guys I am out on this thread. Steph I will be emailing you.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #119
The NY Gecko
lol i wish we were all smal ltime, sharing the gold. but when you crank out 500+ i dont think small becomes applicable. im smalltime kelli. and next to tremper i always will be. hopefully, maybe someday, i will be where you are now, its my goal. something i would see as a personal accomplishment. accomplishment and success doesnt go by how much money youve made, it goes by how much of your own golas youve accomplished and how much pride you have in yourself by doing that. thats what success will always be measured by for me.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #120
The NY Gecko
as for undercutting its free enterprise and who ever has the lowest prices will seel first. supply and demand. i tell you one thign though. if i had some of mike wilbanks leuscistics (BP's) i wouldnt be the person to sel lthem for 200,000. id sell them for 100 or maybe 50g. why? because mine would sell first and id be lowereing the market prices eventually to where someone like me right now could own one jsut as a pet. i realize that may seem coldhearted. and it is to a degree. but 200K is alot for any animal. i would never expect anyone to pay me that for one.

its late and im off. nite everyone

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!