Red Pile Chickens - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #111
Chris Steele
Out of curiosity, what exactly gives a rooster dominance. From what I've read online, it is the one who can fight the best. This doesn't really make complete sense to me though, because my pyle is dominant over a much larger rooster I have that I'm sure could take him in a fight.. they never fight though, the big one just runs. I didn't find a thing online about hens being dominant, but I know some of mine are dominant over others, why?

While I was reading I ran into the origin of the chicken. Are there any pure Red Jungle Fowl on the market these days?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #112
Cat_72
I think it's a lot like people.....sometimes, just their attitude is enough to imtimidate even much larger roosters. Same with hens, mine have always had a specific "pecking order".

As far as finding any TRULY pure Junglefowl....I highly doubt it, IMO. It seems to me there was a breeding program in Conneticut working with them, but I don't know that they were releasing any. I have on rare occasion seen some offered for sale at "Exotic" sales, but still would doubt the purity of those.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #113
Chris Steele
I think after I get out of college it would be pretty exciting to try to get a hold of pure ones and get them breeding. After reading about them and the history and all, I've been thinking about them quite a bit.

I don't know if I posted this yet, but I thought it was really interesting so I'll share. One of my hens turned out to be pretty much pure white (light vanilla really). I'll post a picture if you'd like to see.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 AM   #114
Cat_72
I think it would be a neat thing if you could find some that were pure....you may want to try talking to some of the bigger hatcheries and see if they can offer help. The hatcheries do breed most of the chicks themselves, but always have other "suppliers" as well. I know one of Murray McMurray's duck suppliers is in Minnesota, and they did actually give me a contact number for him when I was dealing with a muscovy duck issue that I couldn't get any answers on from vets. They won't usually do that, but the big hatcheries usually will have the connections to find you whatever you are looking for.

There's an exotic sale coming up in my area next month, I can ask a couple of the "old school" guys if they know of anyone who has them if you'd like, if I get the chance.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #115
Chris Steele
Nah, I'll wait to seriously look into it till I'm out of college, no reason to look deeply into it when I won't be getting any for another 2-4 years if there are any to get when that time rolls around.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #116
Chris Steele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Will a hen mate with its sibling or kid? A rooster with its sybling or kid?
Would it be safe to keep a larger breed hen with bannies?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #117
Cat_72
I've never had any trouble at all keeping the different sized hens together.

And yes, if I didn't answer it before......chickens will mate with whomever is handy, whether it be relation or not.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #118
Chris Steele
Do all chickens eat and never get full haha these things are putting my feed away

Old 10-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #119
Cat_72
Yep, they do lol....especially this time of year, packing it away for the winter...not that they REALLY need it in NC, but they can't be too careful.

The exotic sale last weekend was a blowout, there was hardly anything there. They DID have some of the nicest Silver Duckwings I've seen in ages, but I'm just not needing any of those....it was a treat to see them though. Don't see many these days with the proper size and such good quality.

All I came home with was 2 Aracauna hens, and a hairless rat. LOL.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #120
Chris Steele
Well atleast you got something you wanted. I went to the cattle sale this morning and saw the biggest rooster I'd ever seen, it was about the size of a turkey with the exact same coloration as my "pyle" rooster. All of the other chickens there were pretty bad looking.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!