whats a good snake - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #111
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
oh my bad, I thought it was a known fact for VBB's dont outgrow aggressiveness and dont make great snakes to handle, didnt know that lol. (dont mind taking a bite really lol) dont mind nippy babies either as long as they will eventually out grow that stage.

I'm highly considering buying a Carpet python, on this site ^^ (many friendly people on here and there easier to find on here, then at a reptile expo) ... also do you know the sub species of carpets Because I was thinking of a queensland or a coastal carpet's (cant find any picture of the two sub species of carpets :/ all that displays are just carpet pythons in general and it doesnt say what it is. if its a iran, coastal etc...)
Quick pics of my younger coastals.uploadfromtaptalk1406763579050.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406763606366.jpg

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #112
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
oh my bad, I thought it was a known fact for VBB's dont outgrow aggressiveness and dont make great snakes to handle
I didn't say VBBs outgrew anything, or that they made great snakes to handle. I suggested that trying to force the snake to tolerate what you want isn't the best approach. VBBs are active snakes, and they are unlikely to become calm shoulder sitters...that's part of understanding the snake.

Quote:
I'm highly considering buying a Carpet python, on this site ^^ (many friendly people on here and there easier to find on here, then at a reptile expo) ... also do you know the sub species of carpets Because I was thinking of a queensland or a coastal carpet's (cant find any picture of the two sub species of carpets :/ all that displays are just carpet pythons in general and it doesnt say what it is. if its a iran, coastal etc...)
There are more than two subspecies; and there has been a lot (too much) mixing of carpets; so finding "pure" jungles, coastals, etc isn't as easy as it was 15 yrs ago. M.s. mcdowelli are coastals; jungles are M.s.cheynii; Irian Jayas are...hmmmm, not coming to me at the moment (I want to say they were renamed, but used to be part of variegata?)

Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #113
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I didn't say VBBs outgrew anything, or that they made great snakes to handle. I suggested that trying to force the snake to tolerate what you want isn't the best approach. VBBs are active snakes, and they are unlikely to become calm shoulder sitters...that's part of understanding the snake.

There has been a lot (too much) mixing of carpets; so finding "pure" jungles, coastals, etc isn't as easy as it was 15 yrs ago. M.s. mcdowelli are coastals; jungles are M.s.cheynii; Irian Jayas are...hmmmm, not coming to me at the moment (I want to say they were renamed, but used to be part of variegata?)
In case Google throws anything nuts M.s. = Morelia spilota, very interesting species complex.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #114
xXBlueLipsXx
EmeraldBoid I would go with what you have about the petting in the cage thing for a while till its use to it ^^ sounds like an easy method, along with the t-shirt method. BEAUTIFUL young carpets between and yes google throws anything really :/ one time I googled a VBB and what poped up where pictures of a cave dwelling rat snake ._. i was like what the hey! lol

hhmoore I didnt mean you were saying that stuff about the VBB I ment when I did my research online about the species that I considered at one time before I ever posted this topic here. that through me reading about them in articles of people handling with them and who actually own them have said they arnt the handling type, arnt for beginners, and are bitty little buggers. thats why I dismissed it because of it lol I didnt say that you said that Dx sorry if you thought that. and I know there are more then 2 sub species for carpets: http://www.rainforest-reptiles.co.uk/morelia.php

Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #115
hhmoore
I just wanted to make sure you weren't somehow inferring that from what I'd previously posted.
I'll also take this opportunity to remind you of a comment I made about bloods, which also applies to many other species - a lot of these "reputations" came from the days in which most of our options were WC/imports. A couple generations of captive breeding works wonders for the innate aggression shown by the snakes we worked with years ago.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #116
demonseed38
Dude. All snakes are awesome. It depends on what's right for you. I'm a drymarchon guy with non venomous and hots, pygmy rattlesnakes are my favorites. They can be tamed and held but I do suggest taking diluted venom injections to build up your immunity. But use thick welding gloves to get them used to handling and they are cool. As for drymarchon. They are high strung snakes but with some frequency in handling and taming they are super smart and make some super cool pets. Just my opinion to whether you wanna test your herp skills

Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #117
xXBlueLipsXx
hhmoore ohh ok ^^ makes sense

wickedpayara thats cool but I am NOT getting a venomous snake nor taking shorts to build up immunity to there bites e.e I HATE needles a lot... I think there beautiful but no thanks to the venomous snakes lol

Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #118
demonseed38
Ok. You Prolly like some smaller breed of python then. They tend to be calmer and more laid back.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #119
hhmoore

It helps to actually read a bit before jumping into a 100+ post discussion thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #120
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post

It helps to actually read a bit before jumping into a 100+ post discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpayara View Post
...pygmy rattlesnakes are my favorites. They can be tamed and held but I do suggest taking diluted venom injections to build up your immunity. But use thick welding gloves to get them used to handling and they are cool. Just my opinion to whether you wanna test your herp skills
IDK how the venomous community would feel about these sorts of activities.
Honestly it seems like an accident in the making and sounds quite irresponsible, IMO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!