Reptster Shipping - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #111
hhmoore
Guess I'd better check my bills, because I printed a label from a different computer & it came out all messed up (oversized, with only half the information & no barcodes), so it had to be reprinted (I think I reprinted it twice, so I could have been triple charged - yikes).

Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #112
KelliH
Thanks very much David!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #113
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Perhaps, but the 100's of packages I've personally sent out have never had "ventilation" holes and I've never had a problem, nor would I ever recommend someone do that.
But that dont mean that there isnt more than one right way to do things. I have personally received countless packages packed both ways (with and without holes) and have never had a problem with either. I have also shipped both ways and have never had a problem.

Ultimately no one has any real data on this, everyone's opinion is based purely on personal biases and speculation. So I dont honestly see how anyone can say that either way is the right or wrong way to ship considering the amount of packages shipped both ways without any issues with either.

I guess one way to add at least a little documentation to this matter would be to ship a couple of digital thermostats in two different insulated boxes to the same place. One with holes and one without. Make sure the thermostats have the ability to store highs and lows and see how much of a difference there is temperature between the two shipping methods. This way you can at least get an idea if the difference is negligible or if there is truly a big difference. Do it once in Summer and once in Winter so you can test hot and cold outdoor temps.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #114
shrap
Oops.... Not thermostats, but thermometers.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #115
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Guess I'd better check my bills, because I printed a label from a different computer & it came out all messed up (oversized, with only half the information & no barcodes), so it had to be reprinted (I think I reprinted it twice, so I could have been triple charged - yikes).
Me too. I've printed labels twice a few times since it came out messed up the first time I can't afford double charges for shipments right now.
If printing a label twice causes a double charge and the fact that I paid for 5 pounds on a 7x6x6 box that Fed Ex adjusted down to 2 pounds and I never heard from anyone about the overcharge (even though I posted about it), I may have to say forget it to Reptster and stick with my account.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #116
hhmoore
Well, I checked my account before leaving the house tonite - I only had 3 charges from Reptster (all correct)...so maybe my 3x printing of the label occurred after the fix.

Just as a side question - I read someplace that packages are not charged on dimensional weight unless the box is over a cubic ft...or maybe it was if at least one of the dimensions is > 12". Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #117
FunkyRes
With their new system, don't they send you a PDF file?
The charge should happen then, when the PDF is created, you should be able to print the PDF file as many times as you want.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #118
DavidYoung
Yes the new system generates a PDF. The problem with the last system is it allowed people to click twice. We caught all of the doubles and refunded them as soon as they were generated, Kelli's refund was not processed properly by the CC processor.

Thanks,
David

Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #119
FunkyRes
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
I guess one way to add at least a little documentation to this matter would be to ship a couple of digital thermostats in two different insulated boxes to the same place.
It also would be beneficial, though I don't know how it would be done, to measure CO2 and O2 levels. If the heat packs do use oxygen - the snake may survive but I'm not sure putting it through a low oxygen environment is in its best interests.

Walmart has battery operated digital thermometers that record high and low temp fairly cheaply.
That might be something I start doing - not every package, as the cost would be high, but maybe every 3 or 4 packages - arrange with the buyer to look at peak and low temp as soon as the animal arrives.

I imagine the data collected would be valuable in determining what really are safe temps to ship in - and thus the cost would be worth it long term.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #120
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
But that dont mean that there isnt more than one right way to do things. I have personally received countless packages packed both ways (with and without holes) and have never had a problem with either. I have also shipped both ways and have never had a problem.
True, but if Reptster is supposed to be the next great thing in reptile shipping, it should describe all options and the true pros and cons of each (and not the bias opinion of Reptster). The video is described as the proper way to ship live harmless reptiles, but it's not providing all of the facts or options...and people are bound to disagree with it.

As far as the payments being processed with Reptster. How many days after creating the label does it take for the shipping charge to be processed? That would be my one pet peeve with my standard DHL / FedEx accounts...They only charge biweekly (DHL) or monthly (FedEx)...I much prefer them taking the money immediately.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster