Classifieds section can ONLY be posted in by paid members as of 03/06/07 - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #111
WebSlave
I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe that value shown for time page generated is how long it took the server to actually create the code for the page from the MySQL database queries and combine it with the outgoing PHP code and have it ready to be sent to your browser. It is not a measure of how long it takes for the page to actually get from the server to your screen.

Personally, I seldom ever see it take more than 5 seconds to display a page when I refresh the screen. I am using comcast as my ISP, with a very healthy bandwidth. Definitely the time it takes for the page to get from the server to being displayed on your screen will be highly dependent on the speed of your internet connection and everything inbetween the server and your computer. Depending on the routing, you could easily have a dozen or three servers having to have this information passed through to get to you.

As for it taking anyone 5 minutes, well maybe on a dial-up that could happen, but with broadband service, if it is really taking that long, then yes there is a problem somewhere out of my control.

I would think that if this were a widespread problem, I would have my ears bleeding from people screaming at me about it.

Perhaps the person having this problem needs to take a hard look at their own system, browser, and ISP. Probably more trouble than it would be worth if he is happy with his current advertising outlet, however....

Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #112
Dragondad
In reply to this there are several times that I do have some very slow page loads. I find it to be a very simple combination of three things.

1.) The computer I am on, its a Pentium 4 still very functional but the max RAM of this system just makes things bog when I have been trying fauna after several other things that I work on. The problem will always improve after a restart. Even if I haven't cleared the cookies. The experts are not stupid when they say that the best upgrade you can get is RAM for your system. And/or Expand the cache, if the author of that paragraph is putting that much into online work and advertising pages then there is a lot of "junk" potentially floating in the ozone of the box. When someone clicks on ctr alt del not only look at the Application tab, but look at Processes, go to the run function and type msconfig. (XP) See what your doing at startup that sucks the RAM dry.

2.) To some degree the cookies are an issue, once a week I perform maintence on the system so my cookies get cleaned regularly. However if I leave the cookies, and temp files for an extended period of time it can and does affect performance. The problem is it will affect performance for all sites not just Fauna.

3.) There have been times during a peak load on Fauna when users are approaching 900 that the page turns can slow down. I feel it has to do with the number of requests at the time not just a general 900 people on. Once in a while I get the server busy.

So Fauna isn't any different than KS or others, some of it is perception and potential bias for the ads. Some is regular maintence need on the users computer. But I don't think overall Fauna has an issue.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #113
Cat_72
Hmmm.......I see someone who is just listed as a "registered user" drug up an ad from 2003 this morning.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #114
Wraith
He should check his cable modem. Most modems when they go bad they just flat die, but on rare occasions some will continue to work - just at a highly reduced capacity. Having experienced this myself for many months before finding the cause I know for a fact that it's worse than a dial up connection on average. He could borrow a friends modem and hook it up and see if it makes a difference. If it does then he should buy a new one to replace his current one.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #115
Dragondad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Hmmm.......I see someone who is just listed as a "registered user" drug up an ad from 2003 this morning.

Well a good ad needs a little aging don't you think.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #116
dzoo
For a while I was having the slow page problem, just on Fauna, it was painfully slow just to read a thread, I looked on the forums and no one else was complaining so I figured it was on my end.

After a while it fixed itself, don't know why.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #117
WebSlave
I've gotten a couple of emails and PMs from people alerting me to a problem with this change in the classifieds sections, that I SHOULD have forseen.

Apparently the spam blocking hysteria going on at many ISPs is causing some severe problems with emails getting through from potential buyers to sellers in the classifieds. I tend to agree that this problem could be a real hindrance to people trying to sell animals on the classifieds, so I have decided to relent on the capability of non-paying members to be able to reply to threads in the classifieds section. This applies ONLY to registered (non paying) members being able to reply to threads started by other members and not threads they have started themselves earlier. Non paying members still cannot start new threads, which would effectively be creating a new ad.

Sorry about this oversight.......

Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #118
WebSlave
Do you think I could get away with making the font in that announcement even BIGGER? I am still getting emails from people asking why they can't post classifieds any longer.

I do wish IE hadn't disabled flashing text sometimes......

Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #119
hhmoore
now Rich...you didn't really expect anything less, did you?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #120
Cat_72
If you made the font any bigger, I do believe it would take up the entire page.

Not that it would probably make a difference anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!