DWARF Leopard Geckos??? - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 PM   #121
StinaUIUC
Marcia...I have my one baby from November and 2 eggs that are incubating... lol...however improving a species has nothing to do with having experience...by removing a species from the wild you are inherently weakening the species...Though as I said, through your breeding practices you may very well be improving the captive species.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #122
StinaUIUC
Oh btw...I just want to say that I'm very glad this thread has not turned into a pissing war!!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #123
robin d.
ok now i get it non detremental defects are good
detremental defects are bad
i think Gregg hit the nail on the head... talking about your "theoretical and hypthetical geckos" LOL
The Dwarf Geckos have been bred and test bred MANY time BY several breeders... ALL Four different breeders with different unrelated "dwarf" gecko ALL came to the SAME conclusion... they either did not breed, got gravid then egg bound and died or the VERY FEW offspring camre from normal sized eggs..were normal sized hatchlings and grew to be normal sized geckos.. these geckos when bred did NOT make more dwarfs... so in these cases it was not a genetic mutation but rather a defect.
i mean ok lets say they are true dwarfs... wouldnt they produce smaller eggs so they could preproduce? you would think yes.. but they do not.
i still think your justifying breeding a kinky animal and yes it does say something about your ethics

Quote:
By breeding leos in captivity without natural flaura and fauna (including bacteria and viruses) you are automatically not improving the species...taking them out of a harsh environment and removing all the things that make them strong and resilient means that they will become weaker over time regardless of how they are bred. Even if this wasn't true...by breeding albinos you are definitely not improving the species...albinism is a genetic disorder that in the wild is EXTREMELY detrimental. By selective outcrossing you may be improving the genetics of captive members of the species by increasing heterozygosity...but you are not improving the species as a whole.
that is oh so PETA-esque... if that is the way you feel them why do you have any captive animals at all? you are just, by buying them creating more of a demand. just get rid of em... let em go or sell em off but really dont bring that crap here.. it's not even a valid point

Old 02-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #124
Golden Gate Geckos
Yesss!!!

Quote:
screw that damn fainting goat thing!....think big!!! How about a fainting elephant....now were talkin!
I think we should try to see how we can improve on the fainting elephant!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #125
riverjop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I think we should try to see how we can improve on the fainting elephant!!!

Yea!....the guy who first bred them died!

The elephant fainted on top of him!!

Hey but there's promising new developments in the fainting Tigers!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #126
Golden Gate Geckos
Yay!!!

Quote:
Though as I said, through your breeding practices you may very well be improving the captive species.
Exactly!!! kiss..kiss...

Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #127
robin d.
i would rather improve the fainting fart.. it would help society much more

Old 02-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #128
robin d.
Quote:
Marcia...I have my one baby from November and 2 eggs that are incubating...
1 live baby
and two egss incubting...
point made

come and talk later once you have incubated and hatched over 50 or 100 or even in marcias and kelli case several thousand over the last ten or so years

Old 02-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #129
StinaUIUC
I did not say that I think it is horrible to breed animals in captivity...I just said you are inherently weakening the species...which isn't harmful in captivity...how is that in the least bit PETA-esque...I seriously resent that statement... and where in God's name did I say non-detrimental defects are good??...please...show me? Also please show me where I said it was ok to breed dwarf leos?...did I not say repeatedly before that I didn't know enough about them and wasn't going to take a stance until I did know more? I am not trying to justify anything...I think you are just trying to start a fight...

Old 02-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #130
Golden Gate Geckos
Lol!!!

This would only apply to YOUR farts, Robin!!!

I really love all of you guys... and I really love Leopard Geckos. That is what all of this has really been about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!