Inquiry Rare Pythons in Niagara Falls NY - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #121
ophidile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
The only reason someone would make a "glow in the dark snake" is to have an excuse to "show it off". That means the animal would be subjected to repeated and unnecessary handling and stress in order to impress and entertain people for the "cool" factor. How is repeatedly stressing an animal out healthy for it in the long run?
Again, not trying to be obtuse, but how is this different from any other "pretty" or "cool" looking snake? And as someone with a few pet snakes, if their temper is suitable what's wrong with handling them sometimes, as long as you follow the usual rules of leaving them alone a few days after feeding to digest, when they're blue, etc?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #122
ToshaMc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidile View Post
Again, not trying to be obtuse, but how is this different from any other "pretty" or "cool" looking snake? And as someone with a few pet snakes, if their temper is suitable what's wrong with handling them sometimes, as long as you follow the usual rules of leaving them alone a few days after feeding to digest, when they're blue, etc?
Because a pretty snake isn't going to have special lighting shinning on him during his nightly activities stressing him out and interrupting his natural cycles. The proper husbandry for a ball python is no additional lighting - uv light is a spectrum that reptiles can see.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #123
ophidile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToshaMc View Post
Because a pretty snake isn't going to have special lighting shinning on him during his nightly activities stressing him out and interrupting his natural cycles. The proper husbandry for a ball python is no additional lighting - uv light is a spectrum that reptiles can see.
Oh I don't know about that, I've read about more than one n00b owner "stealth" observing their new snakes with UV light as it is XD
I think I've beaten my POV on this to death, but I can see where you're coming from. Personally I'd be more concerned with the process to make a GFP snake than the outcome, but differing ethics is what makes debate interesting.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #124
jayefbe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
Chris I ask you this as I have been looking at your site.

You list this snake as a WC animal

http://www.rarepythons.com/zenny/ind...36c4bec34c2eef

You say it is a proven breeder
You say it is a desert Ghost
You say it is a Yellow Belly

Will you put a $15000.00 guarantee out that if I bought this animal and bred it to a Yellow Belly(HET IVORY) I would produce Ivories, Desert Ghosts and maybe A Desert Ghost Ivory. I know the combo is a shot in the dark but I should produce Ivories CORRECT?

I am just wondering. If it trully is a Desert Ghost Yellow Belly I should produce Ivories and Desert ghosts from this animal the first year I breed it to my Yellow Belly...
Actually, the real desert ghost (which this is NOT) is a recessive trait.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #125
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayefbe View Post
Ahh I thought there was a dominant line also. my bad.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #126
Deborah Stewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayefbe View Post
Actually depending on he lineage it can be either Dominant or Recessive.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #127
jayefbe
Quote:
Ahh I thought there was a dominant line also. my bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Ball Pythons View Post
Actually depending on he lineage it can be either Dominant or Recessive.
Actually, the desert morph is at least co-dom (I don't believe they've proven a super form yet). Desert and desert ghost are completely different morphs.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #128
Gary O
Still my questions stands. if the Desert Ghost Yellow belly is bred to my proven Yellow belly(Het Ivory) male will it produce Ivories? As we know the yellow belly is thought to be het ivory in the ball trade.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #129
Bill Stonegate
Quote:
Still my questions stands. if the Desert Ghost Yellow belly is bred to my proven Yellow belly(Het Ivory) male will it produce Ivories? As we know the yellow belly is thought to be het ivory in the ball trade.
No offense, Gary, but you ball python people are weird.

I studied Mendelian genetics in college, but cannot make any sense of what the Hell you are talking about.

Maybe someone could post some real data?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #130
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stonegate View Post
No offense, Gary, but you ball python people are weird.

I studied Mendelian genetics in college, but cannot make any sense of what the Hell you are talking about.

Maybe someone could post some real data?
It is simple.

breed a yellow belly to a yellow belly and you get Ivory

That is why I said a yellow belly is het ivory. But you see a lot of "yellow bellies" offered for sale nowadays. A lot of WC ones and when bred to a known het ivory yellowbelly you do not get ivories.

That is why you see a lot of people now use the term het ivory.

basicly he is claiming a snake to be yellow belly I want to know if he is saying it will produce ivories if bred to a proven ivory producing yellowbelly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
christopher casacci, rarepythons