Info Just got this from SYR - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #122
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
One thing that I know will be happening is people will still be using SYR to try and ship out snakes, even after being told not to....that will be a huge downfall in SYR trying to repair this situation
While I agree that some will continue to ship snakes as usual as long as SYR is still accepting packages, and many of those people will never see this thread.
But for those that do, it would be a good idea to think twice about it for the present time. I would be very hesitant to try to put a snake through using SYR right now because it's quite likely that the account number has some sort of flag on it making packages shipped through them to be more likely to be opened and checked.
This may not be the case, but since it is one account with large volume, known to have many snakes shipped, I would think it very feasible that packages sent by that method would be much more likely to be inspected right now than the average package from another account.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #123
rosebud945
Interesting point, Clay. Do you think that shipping lizards is even a good idea right now? Do you think they would open any package booked as a reptile shipment right now?

I think I better email Robyn . . .

Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #124
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
Interesting point, Clay. Do you think that shipping lizards is even a good idea right now? Do you think they would open any package booked as a reptile shipment right now?

I think I better email Robyn . . .

I don't know that they will or they won't, it just strikes me as a distinct possibility, especially right now.

Shipping reptiles allowed by UPS wouldn't be a problem if it were opened, but if they were currently checking packages on that account more often, anything shipped would be subject to be opened.
Personally I don't want some warehouse flunky messing with my packaging job.

It's not an issue for me though, since all I ship is snakes I'm not going to be able to use SYR for the time being.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #125
bwt501
just got this response from Robyn as to the probabbilty of the SYR shipped packages receiving extra scrutiny/being flagged:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: guess
To: lonnie Deixler <bwt501@gmail.com>

Hi Lonnie, thanks for the email. Snake shipments get flagged mostly by self exposure on the customer's part. There is nothing on our site, account or labeling that causes any packages to be flagged.

Out of nearly 1000 shipments a week, we typically have to deal with 2-3 packages that get flagged as snake shipments. At this point in time, we won't be able to get those flagged packages back on their way to their destination, and instead UPS will look to return the package (or have it picked up) by the customer.

Robyn@Pro Exotics
(303) 730-2125 ext. 4

AllProShipping.com
ProExotics.com
Tempgun.com

Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #126
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
While I agree that some will continue to ship snakes as usual as long as SYR is still accepting packages, and many of those people will never see this thread.

[quote=bwt501;953761 At this point in time, we won't be able to get those flagged packages back on their way to their destination, and instead UPS will look to return the package (or have it picked up) by the customer.

[/QUOTE]

I just noticed there is nothing on SYR’s website about the prohibition of shipping snakes at the moment, there is even a prominent link to a snake shipping kit.

If people still ship snakes using SYR’s site then there is no one to blame but All Pro Shipping. The web site should have been updated before the email went out.

I can tell you if I bought a snake shipping kit from SYR and shipped a snake through their website that got stopped hundreds of miles from me or it’s intended destination and SYR refused to help I would be beyond angry. Not everyone reads these forums and I suspect many of their emails get stopped by spam programs I know mine does.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #127
garweft
I just thought of something.....

I should have stuck to Leopard Geckos....

Anyway, if your going to ship non-venomous lizards, turtles, or amphibians I would still use SYR if it is your preferred shipping route. No reason not to enjoy the discount on shipping. Mark the box to it's contents and take a printed out copy of this page with you.

UPS Live Animals Guidelines

It is the page on the UPS site that states that they accept certain live animal shipments including those listed above. As a matter of fact I would also include a copy inside between the top piece of styrofoam and the box flaps. That way if someone opens it and calls later you know they will be holding a copy in there hands.

And please don't try to slip snakes through on the SYR account. If you get caught you'll always be known as the turd in the punchbowl that ruined the party for everyone.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #128
Melinda
well, I feel misled into thinking that it was ok with UPS if I shipped snakes through SYR.

So glad I am Fed Ex certified.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #129
bwt501
I think SYR had to put out that email about halting snake shipments just to cover themselves and satisfy UPS. However, i believe its business as usual with snake shipments because they were never really allowed anyway. I think we have to read between the lines on this one.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #130
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt501 View Post
I think SYR had to put out that email about halting snake shipments just to cover themselves and satisfy UPS. However, i believe its business as usual with snake shipments because they were never really allowed anyway. I think we have to read between the lines on this one.
You may not be far off. I was always ill at ease with the be secretive mess. I mean I don't put a bill board on my packages but no one can say I did not label it clearly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!