USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 species from FWS Constrictor Rule! - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #131
SPJ
OH MY GOD! There are uneducated, close minded idiots posting comments over there.

Here is my comment. Hopefully it will help the "I don't like snakes" people understand the issue.

Quote:
First of all, no one in Florida is allowed to buy a burmese python. The ownership of these animals in that stat has been banned for a few years now. Second, this law now makes a person a criminal if they move to another state and want to take their pet with them. They will faced with breaking the law or abandoning their pet. Another point to consider is that competent reptile vets are hard to come by and some people travel to an adjoining state when there pet needs medical care. This law makes that illegal. So people are now going to be forced to neglect their pet since they will be breaking the law to get their pet medical care. This law encourages neglect and abandonment of pets. All of you "I don't like snakes" people step back a minute. Substitute cat, dog, bird, any other animal in the place of snake and you will see why this law is horrible.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #132
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
If we can't get people to voting on the White House Petition, then we don't hope to get this over turned either, because it won't warrant their attention otherwise. 25,000 needed, we haven't hit 4K yet.
I must have missed something..........

Who is claiming that if 25K signatures are collected, someone will overturn this?

Who is this person or entity that will overturn it?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #133
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
USARK is absolutely dwarfed by the forces it's fighting, and I absolutely do not think they deserve any condemnation for what happened. FWS used a loophole to list 4 species because the estimated economic impact was low enough that those 4 wouldn't require a vote to list, once separated from the other 5.
If it were not for USARK's efforts, they would have listed all 9, because there would have been no one to refute their deliberate underestimation of the economic impact of listing all 9.
USARK is most likely frantically researching what will be necessary to continue the fight. I can only hope that they're up to it. They only have a hope of that if we continue to stand behind them.
They really are our only hope, you know.
We've done well in SOME places fighting these things locally (not so well in others), but the deluge isn't letting up, and that just isn't enough anymore. We need them.
I still must be missing something........

Donna, how exactly did USARK save 5 of 9 species? I have never seen those details outlining what they actually did.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #134
Lair of Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

Who is claiming that if 25K signatures are collected, someone will overturn this?

I stated the same thing on page 13...25k votes just wont do it...
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #135
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair of Dragons View Post
I stated the same thing on page 13...25k votes just wont do it...
Travis
Lair of Dragons
People seem to think that a petition is needed for the USFWS to overturn their own rule change. Even USARK is saying it will do no good.

Instead of empty gestures, maybe the best thing anyone can do is educate themselves on the process. First, what this action was and why the 4 species were affected.

Second, what it means to challenge this in Federal Court, and how said court would view the scientific evidence. This is not the first time an amendment or rule change to the Lacey Act has been challenged. How about looking at the success rate of such challenges?

Third, the costs of such a legal action.

Fourth, what happens if you lose.

Fifth, pay attention to what the USFWS is already saying about what they need to do to get the other 5 species covered by a rule change.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #136
mxracer4life
Quote:
People seem to think that a petition is needed for the USFWS to overturn their own rule change. Even USARK is saying it will do no good.

Instead of empty gestures, maybe the best thing anyone can do is educate themselves on the process. First, what this action was and why the 4 species were affected.

Second, what it means to challenge this in Federal Court, and how said court would view the scientific evidence. This is not the first time an amendment or rule change to the Lacey Act has been challenged. How about looking at the success rate of such challenges?

Third, the costs of such a legal action.

Fourth, what happens if you lose.

Fifth, pay attention to what the USFWS is already saying about what they need to do to get the other 5 species covered by a rule change.
No, these petitions will not win us this case. What these petitions will do is get more people involved. I have talked to many people who clearly were not aware of the ban. I believe it is a good tool for education at the least.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #137
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
No, these petitions will not win us this case. What these petitions will do is get more people involved. I have talked to many people who clearly were not aware of the ban. I believe it is a good tool for education at the least.

Jeremy:

I guess we can agree to disagree.

A good educational tool educates. This petition states that there is a ban - but we all know the ban is on importation and interstate commerce - right?

Judging from the mixed messages I see on forum to forum, that is not a rhetorical question. Truly, people have no idea what this "ban" is.

A good educational tool would inform people without asking them to performing futile actions. Sending a petition to the White House on a USFWS rule change is futile. Especially when it has been pointed out that (1) the petition isn't gonna change the situation (looky at all the OTHER petitions floating around that site) and (2) the petition runs the real risk of showing other parties exactly what a feeble response we are probably going to generate.

I am all for education and getting people involved. But people tend to have short attention spans. For a short window of time, the reptile community's attention is focused on this, we should not be fooling people into making symbolic gestures that aren't gonna change a damn thing.

In the meantime, Virginia is facing a REAL ban where these letters and petitions would probably do a lot more good.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #138
mxracer4life
Quote:
Jeremy:

I guess we can agree to disagree.

A good educational tool educates. This petition states that there is a ban - but we all know the ban is on importation and interstate commerce - right?

Judging from the mixed messages I see on forum to forum, that is not a rhetorical question. Truly, people have no idea what this "ban" is.

A good educational tool would inform people without asking them to performing futile actions. Sending a petition to the White House on a USFWS rule change is futile. Especially when it has been pointed out that (1) the petition isn't gonna change the situation (looky at all the OTHER petitions floating around that site) and (2) the petition runs the real risk of showing other parties exactly what a feeble response we are probably going to generate.

I am all for education and getting people involved. But people tend to have short attention spans. For a short window of time, the reptile community's attention is focused on this, we should not be fooling people into making symbolic gestures that aren't gonna change a damn thing.

In the meantime, Virginia is facing a REAL ban where these letters and petitions would probably do a lot more good.
Education occurs in steps. People seeing these petitions is a "step", to spark there interest, or at least we hope. But I do get where your coming from. Just wanted you to know the reason why I continue to post these links.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #139
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:

You need to NOT read so deeply into my post. That ain't what I said.

Let me help, it takes AT LEAST 25,000 signatures, for them to even look at it. Of course more draws more attention. But without AT LEAST 25K, they simply delete the thing.

Nowhere anywhere in this thread did I say they WILL overturn anything. I said we have no hope of it happening, unless the above occurs.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #140
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
You need to NOT read so deeply into my post. That ain't what I said.

Let me help, it takes AT LEAST 25,000 signatures, for them to even look at it. Of course more draws more attention. But without AT LEAST 25K, they simply delete the thing.

Nowhere anywhere in this thread did I say they WILL overturn anything. I said we have no hope of it happening, unless the above occurs.
I read it clearly. The implication is that if you get 25K signatures, there is hope of overturning the rule change.

We have no hope of it happening even if it does occur. Who is going to overturn it?

Even USARK has stated as much. So again - why the petition?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!