Reptster Shipping - Page 15 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #141
Mooing Tricycle
It seems as if the lacey act is just not strongly enforced by Fedex. I mean heck, if its hard enough to find on the internet* you guys did have trouble finding it right?*, and people DO ship without labeling and fedex knows this, heck some of the drivers that pick and drop peoples stuff off know what they have... im not quite sure they even know about it. Heck, some of them dont even know that they DO ship reptiles, so i cant imagine that they would know about the labeling of the boxes.

Not saying its right or wrong.( i would label boxes, just because id rather if something happened, people would know it wont hurt them) i think its one of those things that... is allowed to slip by.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #142
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
The lacey act issue just is not Reptster Steph. I can have anyone get certified via fed ex and the rep from fed ex will never even mention it.
I know that, Gary. My whole point is that if they want to produce a video showing the proper way to ship and allowing anyone to ship, follow through completely with it instead of skipping over issues that can get the shipper fined. The government won't care if the shipper "didn't know," they'll still fine them!

Labeling keeps the legal "what-ifs" taken care of. A package can bust open (I've had a non-reptile package SQUISHED via UPS), a package can be opened in a random search (I've had this happen with non-reptile FedEx shipments and they do not do a good job taping the package back up), etc. Heck, if you get "caught" with an unlabeled package, they can stop it in transit (but that is a double edged sword - they can also do that if it is labeled and they don't know their own dang policies!).

If you want to risk your (not pointing fingers, just a general statement) butt by not labeling, knock yourself out. I just think the inexperienced should be made aware of it on the video (in detail) so they can decide for themselves if they want to risk the problems and fines. I mean can you imagine how POed pwople would be; them not knowing and then getting fined all because they followed the directions to a "t" in that video?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #143
DavidYoung
I would normally not chime in on this. Just seems like some want to argue and I am against fueling that. However there is a simple answer to the direction that this post has been taken.

Liability...

If we tell you our legal interpretation of the Lacey act then we can be called upon to defend it and your interpretation of our interpretation that we gave you in the video.....

This is why we, along with FedEx won't comment on it.

The purpose of the video is to show you how to package an animal properly in ideal temperatures for shipping. For the well being of the animal, that’s it. We did not add heat or cold packs because of liability, even though you would be shown properly somebody could do it incorrectly then come after us.

Bottom line is that you are responsible for shipping legally and we can’t give you our interpretation of a federal law or we open ourselves up for legal action.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #144
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYoung
Liability...

If we tell you our legal interpretation of the Lacey act then we can be called upon to defend it and your interpretation of our interpretation that we gave you in the video.....

This is why we, along with FedEx won't comment on it.

Bottom line is that you are responsible for shipping legally and we can’t give you our interpretation of a federal law or we open ourselves up for legal action.
So you close your eyes/ears to it and leave the inexperienced shippers to take the fall? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. It's not hard to put up a note about the Lacey Act (just link to the actual legal document).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYoung
The purpose of the video is to show you how to package an animal properly in ideal temperatures for shipping. For the well being of the animal, that’s it. We did not add heat or cold packs because of liability, even though you would be shown properly somebody could do it incorrectly then come after us.
Yes, you did (heat packs anyway). Maybe you forgot to edit that part out?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #145
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
So you close your eyes/ears to it and leave the inexperienced shippers to take the fall? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. It's not hard to put up a note about the Lacey Act (just link to the actual legal document).
Am I missing something here? Why should David be responsible for every aspect of the shipping process? He is not soliciting hobbyist to ship their reptiles, only offering a tool to use should they wish to. Are these “inexperienced shippers” any better off going directly through Fedex via the certification process? David has provided these “inexperienced shippers” with more information in his short video regarding how to safely ship reptiles than Fedex ever has. So have you also voiced your concerns with your Fedex Rep, or is this a biased concern of yours?

Bart

Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #146
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah
Am I missing something here? Why should David be responsible for every aspect of the shipping process? He is not soliciting hobbyist to ship their reptiles, only offering a tool to use should they wish to. Are these “inexperienced shippers” any better off going directly through Fedex via the certification process? David has provided these “inexperienced shippers” with more information in his short video regarding how to safely ship reptiles than Fedex ever has. So have you also voiced your concerns with your Fedex Rep, or is this a biased concern of yours?

Bart

I think the point being made is that fedex makes you test your boxes before you are allowed to ship through them. if you dont do the correct box, and packing job, they wont approve a person for shipping. With repster, there is no verification that people will pack the box accordingly.

While i really LOVE the idea of repster, and plan to try using it at some point, i also want to look at it with an open mind. This kind of stuff HELPS make a service better. Work out all the kinks now while its still fresh.

I Agree that more links should be given on the proper method of shipping reptiles on the site depending on the weather * these things could even be discussed on the video*. All that needs to be written on the website is a warning that using the advice of any link provided on the site, would be solely the readers responsibility if they are to follow the information provided within.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #147
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I think the point being made is that fedex makes you test your boxes before you are allowed to ship through them. if you dont do the correct box, and packing job, they wont approve a person for shipping. With repster, there is no verification that people will pack the box accordingly.
Had that been the concern voiced, I would agree with you; however, the concerns mentioned (Lacey Act, proper labeling, ventilation, and use of heat/cold packs) seem to have little to do with Fedex's package testing and approval process.

Bart

Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #148
juggalo
I will say this when I became Fed-Ex verified and they asked us to ship our test box that is all we were told.We had to contact a few friends of ours and go by the way stuff was shipped to us and we hoped it was right.

At least the video points you in the right direction Fed-Ex did not even give us that.
Thing is if you were to pack your test box exactly like the video shows.Your box would pass.

Just my $0.02

On a side note I have sent close to twenty boxes via the Fed-Ex portal and saved the buyers quite a bit of money.It was kind of tough to get used to after 3 years of using the Fed-Ex website but once I got it down it was a piece of cake. And I will give them this for the first few times we shipped through Reptster I called David and he had no problem walking me right through the whole process....

Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #149
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah
Are these “inexperienced shippers” any better off going directly through Fedex via the certification process? David has provided these “inexperienced shippers” with more information in his short video regarding how to safely ship reptiles than Fedex ever has.
I packed and labeled my certification box how I would an actual shipment...So I would have no idea to what extent they deny a package for certification that was not shipped/labeled properly. It is not up to FedEx to educate a reptile shipper (FedEx was not created to ship reptiles); however, since Reptster was created specifically for reptile shippers, it is my opinion they should provide all information to the individuals that are using their program. Do you understand the difference? FedEx was created for shipping in general, Reptster was created for reptile shipping.

And yes, I did voice my concerns at the beginning of this thread that their is no "official" certification process for the use of Reptster.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #150
shrap
I'm sorry Steph, but that is just nuts to me. It is NEVER anyone's responsibility but your own to make sure you are educated on any subject.

"Oh it aint my fault, it is Reptsters fault for not educating me more betterer."

In all honesty, it is nothing more than simply taking responsibility for yourself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster