Bad Guy Garret Smith ( Scammer ) - Page 157 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #1561
NathanKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman11 View Post
Nathan,

You can go to https://trade.cites.org/en/cites_trade/ and see what has been imported exported from all countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardK View Post
The trade database only covers those taxa that have been listed by CITES. Pogona barbata isn't listed so this is a red herring and provides no proof of legal export from Australia or even Europe.

some comments

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobekSerpents View Post
Nathan,

Here is what the senior permit officer for trade regulation has to say about "exporting" animals legally from Australia. Don't listen to Garrett, he doesn't know what he's talking about. You can contact the person who emailed me below directly as well for more info.

"Dear Mr Proctor,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the export to the USA from Australia.
The export of live native animals is very strictly regulated. Live Australian native mammals, reptiles, birds and amphibians may not be exported for commercial uses under any circumstances.

You may be allowed to export live native animals for non–commercial purposes such as research, education, exhibition, travelling exhibition or conservation breeding programs or for particular household pets. Under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act) there is a list of specimens which are suitable for export as pets, provided certain criteria have been met. Currently this list is restricted to only 6 species of birds. Any native species not on this list may not be exported.

To see the full list please go to our website at - http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiv...household-pets.

I hope this information is of assistance. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards, Kath

Kath Hansen│Senior Permits Officer │Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
CITES Management Authority of Australia │Department of the Environment and Energy ( 02 6274 1900 (option '3') * wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au
GPO Box 787, CANBERRA, ACT 2601
I view the cites trade database as an attempt to deflect. I was unable to find any animals in the last 20 years that were not exported under zoological reasons. While that might mean the species were not Cites listed, it illustrates to me the near zero number of animals leaving Australia.

My question was specifically asking for anyone to list the steps required to export a native reptile from Australia, an email saying they can be, or anything to verify the claims individuals have made regarding the export of animals from Australia.

As I stated earlier, I have heard an identical claim before. That individual is a convicted smuggler now.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #1562
SobekSerpents
It amazes me that even after someone is caught smuggling animals that they're still allowed be involved in the reptile trade. If you were caught fighting dogs for example, the judge can (and usually) rules that you're not allowed to own dogs anymore.

That said, drugs are illegal and yet there are still drug dealers all over the place. If someone wants to smuggle something, they'll find a way. You'd think that the F&W officers would have Garrett on a watch list though...

Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #1563
snakesareawesome
Judges have banned people from dealing in reptiles for specific periods of time when caught violating rules. However, I think a lifetime ban would be exceptional and unreasonable. People make mistakes and you can't ban someone's ability to make a living willy nilly.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #1564
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesareawesome View Post
Judges have banned people from dealing in reptiles for specific periods of time when caught violating rules. However, I think a lifetime ban would be exceptional and unreasonable. People make mistakes and you can't ban someone's ability to make a living willy nilly.
There are a million other ways to make a living. Garrett has been before judges and has and still abuses the law. I don't call that a "mistake".

Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #1565
SobekSerpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesareawesome View Post
If you're caught poaching animals, you lose your hunting license. If you accidentally got caught up in something "minor" the judge might just take it away for a few years. If it's obviously intentional, they generally take it away for life.

Garrett intentionally smuggled tortoises and publicly stated in an ad recently that he's importing animals directly from another smuggler in Europe. I'm not naive enough to think a person like Garrett has only done this the two times....

He's intentionally smuggling animals to make a profit. Banning him for life from being an importer/exporter wouldn't be too harsh at all, imo.

It's certainly not willy nilly....

Old 02-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #1566
EdwardK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobekSerpents View Post
If you're caught poaching animals, you lose your hunting license. If you accidentally got caught up in something "minor" the judge might just take it away for a few years. If it's obviously intentional, they generally take it away for life.

Garrett intentionally smuggled tortoises and publicly stated in an ad recently that he's importing animals directly from another smuggler in Europe. I'm not naive enough to think a person like Garrett has only done this the two times....

He's intentionally smuggling animals to make a profit. Banning him for life from being an importer/exporter wouldn't be too harsh at all, imo.

It's certainly not willy nilly....

So if he is arrested and convicted for smuggling in the future contact the prosecutor to ask for an increased penalty or see if you can testify at the trial for an increased penalty for the offense.

some comments

Ed

Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #1567
Frogman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDavy View Post
He is a big time scammer and crook..

Don't deal with this smuggler, he will be nice to you and when he has your cash he is gone..
Still owes me over $1500.00 USD and he also owes a lot of money to oversea customers...

God will teach him a lesson sooner or later...
What goes around comes around...

Stay away from him and anyone helping move reptiles..

Stay away, if you do get anything pray it wont die on you..
He doesn't know how to take care of animals once he has them.. Stay away please, just looking out for good people..
Garrett Smith gives this hobby a bad name and a bad tast..

Hope they catch him and give him jail time for a long time..
Charlie,

Im glad you posted. The facts are: I have a live arrival guarantee like 99% of most people that ship reptiles. He knew this. I held the animals that I sold to Charlie for 3 weeks prior to shipping to make sure they were eating healthy etc. I sent Charlie pictures, videos and we facetimed so he could hand pick his animals. The animals were fat, active healthy and doing great. The animals were shipped and arrived cold but fine. It was a cold day for shipping but these animals can handle a cold day. I had a 40 hour heat pack in the box. Charlie said they arrived fine but cold. The next day he sent me text saying they are fine running around and eating. A week later one died. Even though this was past my guarantee, I refunded the animal. Another week went by and another one died. I refunded that one. I think after a month and a half he KILLED most of them. I say KILLED because Charlie like some Uromastyx keepers believe that you should NOT have a water bowl in with Uromastyx. I told him before he received these guys to keep a water bowl in with them. He sent me pictures of his cages with no water bowl in the cages. Also in the pictures I could see lentils and seed. I told Charlie DO NOT feed them lentils or seed until they are over a year old. I was told by the breeders that they can NOT digest seed and lentils for the first year and can block them up and kill them. He did anyway "he was the expert" The breeders gave me this information, I passed it along and he ignored these very important husbandry directions. He was the "expert" He now states that he had water in the cage and that the water bowl was out of the cage when he took the pictures. and didn't feed them the two items that the breeder said although I could see these items in the pictures. His story was and still is, I think...That they came in cold. did great for a week month and a half and died because of the cold. He threatened to tell everyone that I sold him sick animals on a BOI....But as you can see if you have read any of my responses. I don't care about the BOI's

You can pray all you want that they don't die Charlie...But if you ignore important husbandry practices...its on you. I went above and beyond with this guy and then drew a line in the sand and said....I'm done.

Ill say this again: If it didn't go down EXACTLY like I said above, Charlie would of taken me to court. Small claims is easy people....I have videos of the fat heathy animals and my voice saying that these are the fat, active, healthy animals going to Charlie's house, I have text, e-mails and voice messages of this entire transaction. I have spreadsheets of all the money that changed hands. I CMA on every transaction. He knows this.

Just so were clear. I will/have/and do go above and beyond to make the buyer happy.....But will NOT be taken advantage of. I have a job and do very well. I do this for fun so I can off set the cost of importing.

The few people commenting on me negatively do not know or anything about me. When importing: If you fill out one sheet of paper incorrectly its considered smuggling. If the shipper fills out paperwork incorrectly or does anything incorrectly its considered smuggling and the recipient could be charged with smuggling. If the shipper does something that your not aware of and agents the law the recipient could be charged with smuggling. Theres more to the story than whats been posted and the final out come of my case has still not been posted on this site. With that said.....I still have an import license.

I could post all the information that has been requested from the Kenards of the BOI but I'm having fun posting on this.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #1568
Frogman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
There are a million other ways to make a living. Garrett has been before judges and has and still abuses the law. I don't call that a "mistake".
LOL

Your saying I make a living selling reptiles?

Your saying Ive been before more than one Judge?

Your saying I still abuse the law?

The only thing you got correct In this post is: "There are a million other ways to make a living"

Thats your problem Kenard, you just make stuff up yet demand others to post proof.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #1569
spinytail
Besides being a smuggler, let's not forget animals either die or are sent out on their deathbed by Garrett. Some can debate if smuggling is a bad thing, but you cannot debate his negligence in caring for them is good or bad. With just that, I can not support Garrett Smith. Add the smuggling and his nack for stealing money from customers and/or sitting on their money for over a year; it is obvious that anyone supporting Garrett is negligent and just as bad for the industry.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #1570
SobekSerpents
Garrett, I don't know why it still amazes that you continue to post and make yourself look worse....but it does.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!