Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #151
jmkhet
Hey WebSlave, do you have a timetable for this fee?I mean like Dave said, there IS going to be a fee no matter what right?Also if the fee IS to be implemented, are you going to have to pay the whole fee right away, by the week, by the month?Thanks, Josh McDermott

Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #152
W.Wedeking
Just a thought

There seem to be the same people here posting as always. What about the people who we haven't heard from? Rich, have you thought of doing a private email poll to estimate just how many would leave/stay?

Old 02-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #153
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkhet
Hey WebSlave, do you have a timetable for this fee?I mean like Dave said, there IS going to be a fee no matter what right?Also if the fee IS to be implemented, are you going to have to pay the whole fee right away, by the week, by the month?Thanks, Josh McDermott
Nothing is set in stone. Someone still could come up with something I haven't thought of that was feasible that would work to cover all of the bases I am trying to consider.

As for not paying the whole fee right away..... $10 over time payments? You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Wedeking
There seem to be the same people here posting as always. What about the people who we haven't heard from? Rich, have you thought of doing a private email poll to estimate just how many would leave/stay?
Yeah, I see that. The original thread I created to approach this topic languished away in the Feedback forum since around mid November with very little input. So I guess the majority of the people don't care either way or are just waiting to see what happens and post their opinions ex post facto.

As for the email poll, if even half of the members responded, just WHO is going to read all of those reply emails and the correlate them into a poll? What sort of time to you think that would take? Thanks, but NO thanks!

Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #154
jmkhet
No im not kidding...but i thought it was 35 dollars....Josh McDermott.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #155
W.Wedeking
A simple check the "yes" or "no" box and I would be happy to donate time for this.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #156
Sasheena
I really like nicolai's graduated scale of fees, I think that addresses a lot of issues that people have. I think one concern that may or may not have been answered adequately can be better stated by an example.

I forget the date, but let's say that 2 months ago I paid $25 to be a contributing member. Today (with 10 months remaining on my 1-year contributorship), WebSlave decides to go with Nicholai's graduated scale. That would put me in the almost top level. I can choose to keep that current level that $25 buys me, or fork out the additional $10 to put myself in the highest category. My understanding of the fairest way of doing this would be that I could pay the $10, and in ten months, I would be paying up again. I would not suddenly go down to ZERO.... but I would not have an entire year from TODAY either.

This would be the fair implementation of the system. So for those who are afraid that donating YESTERDAY would result in a ZERO balance on the day that WebSlave implements changes...well I very highly doubt this to be true. (he can of course correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #157
robin d.
this was typed out by me, from another thread.
Quote:
i do not have a problem with paying any monies but i think charging for BOI acess will cause this site to die.
why? this site has grown around the BOI cutting off your basic draw and charging for it will cause people to go elsewhere. i also suspect people mght pay to post a BAD experience but what about the good guys? i honestly doubt people will pay to post about the good guys.... shoot the bad guys post ALWAYS get more hits than do the good guys and generally more comments in the thread.
let's say you are the one being accused of being a bad guy but can not afford (forwhatever reason) the price... do you just sit and watch your name be tarnished?
or what if you have done a wonderful transaction and you are just starting up in the hobby with no name for yourself yet, do you honest think people are going to pay to say "hey so and so was great and has great animals blah blah blah"? no i doubt it... yes i think there should be paid sections BUT charging for the area that is the main site draw will kill the entire site.
Just now after what four or five years are just NOW getting the forums moving as well as the classifieds.. more larger scale breeders and dealers are posting ads here for a reason.. they see the site is growing... i do not think these people would have any problem paying for the classified ads, banner ads and what not if the trafic continues. i was about to buy a banner ad slot and a sponsor link but if my money is spent in vain and the fee's are implimented and people leave.. the money i have worked hard for was justifiablely spent wrong. yeah the money i spend will help NOW but what happens if the main draw is cut off (BOI) and the users stop coming? i have to look at this as a business decision and weigh my options...
i know of several others as well waiting to see what happens... it is not personal it is from a business standpoint... i guess thats what it is coming down to for allot of us

Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #158
bcfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Brian, I seriously doubt you were able to tie into a T1 connection on a pole.

I have the fastest service that Comcast provides, but it is nowhere near what is needed to run a web server on. Matter of fact, the download and upload speeds are exactly the opposite of what you would need for something like that. For a server, you would need the upload speeds much faster then the download speeds. This doesn't happen with ISP connections.

Nope I just expidited my order with Comcast is all.

But if you ever do need instructions on fiber optic terminations and splicing I do have those certifications thanks to a vendor of mine Alcoa.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #159
Bringerofdoom
I Understand where rich is coming from. I ran several sites in the past that the cost's comes directly from my pockets, then when I tried to find ways to even try to even out with the monthly bills, people went irate. Seemingly people think its simple, cheap work to manage a site, even a forum. They really dont know all the other stuff you do, that never gets said or announced. Some people are even brash enough to think you make plenty of money just on your banners. Whats worse its seems its always the common problem anymore. Site cost's soar, with no way but to eat the cost's youself. Then when you ask the public (who helps run up the bandwith fee's and ask for your non-stop help) to help out, they revolt and refuse to use the service.

Look at msn chat, Large Free chat service. Everyone and their dog used to use it, M$ ask for cash for it, so that they could help filter out child molesters and other unwanted's (spammers,etc) Alot of people quit using it and went to ther like services. Sure the chat is better now, but you got some a-holes on there that think that their money deserves them special treatment. I fear the same would happen to fauna, Bad guy pay $10-$35 gets harrased over his stupidty and threatens to pull his money/file lawsuits/etc over it.

To figure out howto adress the issue of badguys constantly registering to continue posting and trollling, plus balance the monthly server cost's is make or break it for Fauna. The ones who know how powerfull and usefull a tool the boi is would pay, the ones that laughed and didnt take this site seriously will leave. Roger Jolly had some valid points in his post, but just how true they pan out in the end depends on everyone here to support Fauna.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #160
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerofdoom
...... I fear the same would happen to fauna, Bad guy pay $10-$35 gets harrased over his stupidty and threatens to pull his money/file lawsuits/etc over it.
Heck I get that now. Banner advertisers leave when I don't make things go their way. Bad guys threatening lawsuits because I won't delete their own incriminating words. So what would be new?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread