Status check and poll on recent crack down - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the recent enforcement of the rules been successful?
Yes, and stay the course. 31 47.69%
Somewhat, but scale back a bit. 29 44.62%
Not really, so roll back to the way it used to be. 5 7.69%
No, you need to try something else entirely. See post. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #151
NiCoLe L RuSSeLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
The idea of having granting access to only those that pay was a good one.

Regards
I totally agree. If you have to have this forum at all--have it under these terms.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #152
Chameleon Company
Dan, I understand your opinion.

Quote:
Boidsmith writes:
......The key word is different; not wrong, not right, just plain different. Do I think less of people who like to spend their time and money there? Nope, it’s simply that they find entertainment value in something I don’t ......
And am sure that it works for you and others (your opinion that is, not HELL). However, some of us see it as more than different. You are likely aware of another respected poster's comments in a similar thread after he first visited it. His comment was that his respect for certain other members, whom he had held in higher regard, fell to disappointing levels. He now thought less of them. In my view, he need not justify his views, any more than you need explain yours. The result was as it was, and is not the kind of thing to be debated away. Again, just IMO, but if I caught one of my four children playing there, much less having paid $10 to do it, I would not have a positive reaction. Whether it be the nature of his/her own posts, or just the "crowd they were keeping", I would hope that I handled it well, and not react too quickly. I would be disappointed, and would question where I had let them down. Hopefully my focus would be on ways to get them to want to "elevate their game". So, to each his own.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #153
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco
And am sure that it works for you and others (your opinion that is, not HELL). However, some of us see it as more than different. You are likely aware of another respected poster's comments in a similar thread after he first visited it. His comment was that his respect for certain other members, whom he had held in higher regard, fell to disappointing levels. He now thought less of them. In my view, he need not justify his views, any more than you need explain yours. The result was as it was, and is not the kind of thing to be debated away. Again, just IMO, but if I caught one of my four children playing there, much less having paid $10 to do it, I would not have a positive reaction. Whether it be the nature of his/her own posts, or just the "crowd they were keeping", I would hope that I handled it well, and not react too quickly. I would be disappointed, and would question where I had let them down. Hopefully my focus would be on ways to get them to want to "elevate their game". So, to each his own.
"To each his own." That's a good statement actually. But in order to fulfill that statement properly would take being totally unbiased. This I do not pick up here. There is another saying that has been around even longer, and probably more important.........Judge not lest Ye be judged. This to me would be the meaning behind "to each his own."
As for your friend.....Did He take into account where He was at while reading? What the purpose of the forum is? Sounds a little like the Jock and Stoner issue back in high school, where one guy is part of the jocks clique, but when seen talking to a stoner, He all of a sudden was not good enough to be part of the "gang" anymore.
Who knows though, maybe I am way off here. But you sure seem to be against something that you are not even a part of. (scratching my head)
Anyway, don't mean to sound like I am arguing. Wasn't intended that way, just confused about it.

Rick

Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #154
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Jim,

Yes, I'm aware of that comment although I don’t remember who made it. In my visits to that forum I browsed through several threads. A few visits were enough to “sample” what was the main idea behind it, and that it was not how I wanted to spend my time. Yes, I do remember some of the people posting there but I’m perfectly honest when I say that I don’t remember who said what. That’s the relevance I assigned to what posted in there.

One thing we have to recognize though, those individuals that spend 4-5 hours of the day posting in HELL have 4-5 hours less in their “time budget” to post elsewhere. That might be good or bad for Fauna as a whole, depending on the individual and the degree of his/her contributions to this site.

Regards

Old 02-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #155
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
And am sure that it works for you and others (your opinion that is, not HELL). However, some of us see it as more than different. You are likely aware of another respected poster's comments in a similar thread after he first visited it. His comment was that his respect for certain other members, whom he had held in higher regard, fell to disappointing levels. He now thought less of them. In my view, he need not justify his views, any more than you need explain yours.
Jim, I also respect the comments of that individual but take note, he joined Hell and posted in a thread that was already overheated with people calling themselves names such as “Scumbag” and the like because they feel the same way you do, relaxing the penalties here. Seems to be some irony in that. The only difference is they were having issues with you as well.

I don’t believe I have even cursed one single time in Hell since it has become a paid forum.

You know,

Most of the people in Hell or also the people who contribute the most to this site, in ALL of the forums.
Some are forum sponsors and as far as I know, not a single person subscribed to Hell is a known bad guy.
Half the people (including Rich and the moderators) on the top ten Karma List, also have access to Hell and have posted there since paid membership went into place.

While some of the threads maybe raunchy and would not be my choice on how to express myself they’re following the rules at this time. When Hell was a moderated forum most followed the rules at that time as well.

I am not much for cursing but I can read without a problem.

It states right on the door-

Quote:
An unmoderated verbal mud wrestling forum. This forum is ONLY accessible through a separate paid membership and threads are ONLY visible to subscribers. Cost is $10 per year. Parental discretion advised.

So what is in Hell. Hell has 13,871 posts. One Bad Guy thread that started on the BOI has 67,617 views and 324 posts that I don’t want to see just erased. There are the pissing duels but also threads with Bar Jokes, complaining about shippers, lawyers, and a host of different topics. Why are they there? Well most are because of the language used.

I don’t think I have any ill-will towards any of the members of Hell and like I said an earlier post, one of the main reasons to have access to that forum would include the threads from the BOI that were placed there under the original concept of that forum.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #156
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
in there.

One thing we have to recognize though, those individuals that spend 4-5 hours of the day posting in HELL have 4-5 hours less in their “time budget” to post elsewhere. That might be good or bad for Fauna as a whole, depending on the individual and the degree of his/her contributions to this site.

Regards
I don’t think anyone even spends an hour. I think we actually spend way too much time trying to tear down other members of this site.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #157
Dennis Hultman
As far as the rules go, I guess that debate is over.

I don't have a problem living with them the way they are. I don't have a problem with the rules being scaled back some. In all honesty, I could live with it if it went back to the way it was. I’m not saying that would be my choice or desire. I wouldn’t prefer it. What I believe should happen is really irreverent but I am more inline with decreased penalties with first offences in particular.
However, I understand the direction Rich wants to go with this site. Hence, the rules are going to stay the way they are for now. At some point, he may scale back but as he has stated, it’s not happening now.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #158
dragonflyreptiles
I have to agree with Deniis, I doubt anyone has spent an hour posting in HELL -- UNLESS its the Three Word Story Thread and its a combined total of all post from beginning ot end.

Thing is there some plain old normal threads that the poster wanted to scream and yell a bit which is no longer allowed other places on fauna. Its not allowed to post HELL topics or post on other forums so I cannot give you the examples.

But me for one, when I need to scream yell and cuss about something reptile or fauna related or non reptile and fauna related I can.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #159
WebSlave
Heck, I don't know what to think about HELL. Maybe people there just look at it as a refuge of some sort.

Now when I say it is "unmoderated", that is not exactly correct. I believe there are two (I don't remember any others) rules I have asked people to follow there.
  1. No threats of physical violence to another person. Period.
  2. Someone can discuss and argue with ME until we both get blue in the face, but HELL will not be a safe haven for someone to be derogatory or profane towards me. Call it "executive privilege" if you want, but I am not allocating bandwidth nor space on this site for someone to be able to do that. There are certainly other sites on the web where bashing me is not only very acceptable, but apparently in vogue, so go on over there for that sort of thing.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #160
crotalusadamanteus
[quote=Webslave]Heck, I don't know what to think about HELL. Maybe people there just look at it as a refuge of some sort.[quote]

That's exactly how some of us see it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!